Value of: Dumba + Boldy + MN 1st (10-20 likely)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think you'd find more people who would rather make the playoffs every year than suck ass and hope you fluke into a couple of franchise altering prospects while missing by and large each year.

HF is grossly obsessed with draft picks and building superstar U23 teams, trading good players who are close to 30 because they're close to 30, and hoping young kids can just step in and know how to carry a team professionally.

Making the playoffs and not winning the cup does not equate to failure of any kind.
I think you'd find more people who would rather make the playoffs every year than suck ass and hope you fluke into a couple of franchise altering prospects while missing by and large each year.

HF is grossly obsessed with draft picks and building superstar U23 teams, trading good players who are close to 30 because they're close to 30, and hoping young kids can just step in and know how to carry a team professionally.

Making the playoffs and not winning the cup does not equate to failure of any kind.

The point is to win and one of the paths has a much higher success rate at that goal.

I mean by definition wouldn't anyone with that philosophy be a literal loser haha?

I'm all for people enjoying all types of hockey but this take is pretty silly, although if I had to come to the realization that my team wasn't going to be competitive for a decade because of poor mgmt decisions then I could see how I could be tricked into this upside down logic

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The point is to win and one of the paths has a much higher success rate at that goal.

I mean by definition wouldn't anyone with that philosophy be a literal loser haha?

I'm all for people enjoying all types of hockey but this take is pretty silly, although if I had to come to the realization that my team wasn't going to be competitive for a decade because of poor mgmt decisions then I could see how I could be tricked into this upside down logic
Even with a stacked team your chances at winning the cup are slim. I'd rather be in the hunt every year than waiting on a couple of prospects to right the ship after a few years of basement dwelling. You see it all the time around here, "just tank for a couple years and speed up the process".

That to me is the loser mentality. People act like not winning the cup is an indictment on a team or that somehow they failed that year. I don't agree with that at all. I consider Nashville and San Jose two of the more successful franchises in the last 15 years and neither has a cup. But they're always playing for it anyways.

Eventually every team will have to rebuild in a sense, but trying to ice a bad team in the hopes of winning a high pick or two isn't a good strategy either, especially when you see some of the teams that have jumped up in the lottery to snag some high picks they didn't or shouldn't have ended with. Like you said the point is to win. Trying to get high draft picks directly contradicts that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Horvat for Dumba, Boldy and 2020 1st

I don't think we would do it

But just wanted to hear what people are thinking
Hell no from a Minnesota perspective.
Avs division rivals love to win lottery picks from the bubble. So maybe its your turn this time around.

Minnesota is one of the teams that IMO should take Byfield #1 overall so that would solve your C dilemma for good as much as I hate it.

So if it happens, I hope your GM screws up and picks Lafreniere.....
You hope our GM screws up by picking the best player in the draft? Gee, thanks for the concern.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hell no from a Minnesota perspective.

You hope our GM screws up by picking the best player in the draft? Gee, thanks for the concern.

Might be the best prospect of the draft but its not by much and I don't think he has the highest of potential of these prospects and he plays by far the least important position...
IMO especially a team like Minny who hasn't had a superstar center in forever would be way better off going with Byfield.

But it makes me happy that most Wild fans feel that way and hopefully pressure their GM into Laf if they happen to win.
Considering how impossible it usually is to get your hands on a young, potential superstar center, them picking Lafreniere combined with the rather horrible contracts of Suter and Parise will make sure that I won't have to worry about the Wild for the next decade with their non-existent center depth.
Thats good news...

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, Brodin or a 1st, not both

My bad then.
Still think the 1st is a bit too high for Domi (unless the Wild turn it around and beat the Nucks then I could see it happening) and I think the Wild will get a better offer for one of their Ds than Domi..

Odds are decent that the Leafs and others that are in desperate need of quality D and cap relief would look towards a team like the Wild who can offer both once Dubas finally realizes that keeping all 4 of his high paid forwards was always a dumb idea....

Aug 25, 2009
éal
My bad then.
Still think the 1st is a bit too high for Domi (unless the Wild turn it around and beat the Nucks then I could see it happening) and I think the Wild will get a better offer for one of their Ds than Domi..

Odds are decent that the Leafs and others that are in desperate need of quality D and cap relief would look towards a team like the Wild who can offer both once Dubas finally realizes that keeping all 4 of his high paid forwards was always a dumb idea....
It would have to be Nylander or Marner though. Don’t see them trading Matthews or Tavares.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It would have to be Nylander or Marner though. Don’t see them trading Matthews or Tavares.

Yeah Matthews is not going anywhere and Tavares has a NMC...

I would personally ship off Marner even though with his contract it could be harder to find a taker that doesn't want to send you a bad contract or atleast a big one in return..

In all likelyhood Nylander will be the one sent packing unless Dubas is even more stubborn than I believe and keeps all of them...

But looking at their roster even he will probably realize that its just not doable from a cap perspective unless he is fine with icing a really young and rather subpar D...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
mid-1st round pick absolutely does not fetch you a top line centreman. Domi is probably the best centre you could get for a 1st

Domi isn't a center. At least not a top 6 center. Call us back if you want to talk LW prices.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Domi isn't a center. At least not a top 6 center. Call us back if you want to talk LW prices.
He has been playing centre in junior and the last two season in Montreal, including his best season in career. The position a 20 years old rookie play in his first season is irrelevant. Domi is at his best playing centre, playing him at wing is foolish that’s why the Habs are entertaining to trade him.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
He has been playing centre in junior and the last two season in Montreal, including his best season in career. The position a 20 years old rookie play in his first season is irrelevant. Domi is at his best playing centre, playing him at wing is foolish that’s why the Habs are entertaining to trade him.

Or you know domi has been demoted to 4th line . If he was a c, & so good, he shouldn't be playing on 4th line

Reactions: Sweetpotato

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Okay so what's the price for a 4C then?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Or you know domi has been demoted to 4th line . If he was a c, & so good, he shouldn't be playing on 4th line
I’m a Habs fan I know what it’s like to not have good centre we have been there for decades so I understand how Wild fans could be confused as to how a team could have too many good centres

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is really poor logic. Malkin is a 2nd centre man he is worth more than most 1st line centreman

You're either going to get top 6 LW value or bottom 6 center value for him. He's not a top 6 center and he's not worth Dumba, Brodin or our first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad