Dude! What are you doing in that uniform? Part III

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
fcadcec662603217e4405ca35b86442f.jpg

The Rocket isn't actually wearing the jersey, but the shirt is close enough.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sorry if these have been already posted...

s-l300.jpg

Always think of Bobby Baun as a Leaf.

bernie-parent-autographed-boston-bruins-8x10-photo-29.jpg

Bernie Parent. Remember him from the Broad Street Bullies Flyers clubs of the 70’s.

637739e3a88e60a5a6ec7cb61f14bec5.jpg

Borje Salming. Long time Leaf. I remember that awful cut he had on his face from a skate blade. I think he ended up with over 100 stitches. Ouch.

afd0363a93226325c23da07ce3391540.jpg

Clark Gillies. I don’t think he ended up playing a full year with Buffalo. Had to hang them up due to injury.

MV5BOGRhNDdmMmEtNTYzOS00MWMyLTliNDQtYzVkMjY5ZjU4MmYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_UY317_CR104,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Kent Nilsson. Former longtime Flame, had a brief stint with the Oilers.

Nilsson help the oilers win the cup and who can forget the HACK!!!!

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Gare Edmonton

I win

s-l225.jpg

Congratulations!!

Be sure to redeem your winning certificate for The HF Boards pencil set, The HF Boards Spellmaster gadget, The HF Boards Crystal (engraved with "I am a winner"), HF Boards watches and wall clock, The HF Boards "Goody Bag",( including books, board game, T-Shirt, and tea pot), and of course The HF Boards Sutter family catchphrase sweatshirt!!

Well played!:thumbu:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Rocket coached the Nords for, like, one game, right? What's the story there?
Just two games. He was in way over his head as a coach (he admitted that he didn't have a clue what he was doing):

"Marius Fortier, one of the Nordiques’ six founders, offered Richard a job as the team’s head coach—a dream position for Richard, who quickly accepted the position; however, after losing his first game 2-0 on the road against the Cleveland Crusaders, Richard handed in his resignation.

“It’s that simple,” he told Fortier. “I’ll die behind the bench, and I love life too much to do that.”

Fortier convinced him to stay for another game while he found a replacement, but Richard was unable to follow the tempo during his team’s second game, this at home against the Alberta Oilers. Defenceman Jean-Claude Tremblay managed the line changes and team strategy.

On Oct. 14, 1972, La Presse reported that during the game against Alberta, which was losing to the Nordiques after a “brilliant performance,” Richard was “nervous, shaking occasionally like a leaf.”

Richard quit that day and was replaced by Maurice Filion."

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Rocket coached the Nords for, like, one game, right? What's the story there?

The book "The Rebel Game" has some info on this. Don't have it with me here at work but if I recall he hated coaching and was severely stressed over the thought of doing it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's a bit of a scavenger hunt... try finding any images of Shane Churla or Jim Paek wearing a Kings uniform. It seems impossible to find one of any of those players from their very brief stints with the Kings.

What's funnier is the fact that you can find images of Valeri Bure in a Kings sweater. 'Why is it funny' you ask? Well, he never appeared in a regular season game with the team. He only played in the preseason and then called it quits.

gettyimages-55828115_master.jpg

Another rare image to find is one of Petr Klima in a Kings' sweater. I think he only appeared in four games with the team before being sent to Pittsburgh.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Here's a bit of a scavenger hunt... try finding any images of Shane Churla or Jim Paek wearing a Kings uniform. It seems impossible to find one of any of those players from their very brief stints with the Kings.

Another rare image to find is one of Petr Klima in a Kings' sweater. I think he only appeared in four games with the team before being sent to Pittsburgh.

DVm7HCYVoAADnRo.jpg

Jim Paek

5301-76Fr.jpg

Petr Klima. Could not find a Churla one

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This was the best I could find of Churla as a King.

He only appeared in 11 games with the Kings before being shipped off to New York.

Another funny anecdote concerning Churla’s time with the Kings. As you’ll notice in the video, he wore two numbers, 72 and 11, but apparently the Kings media guide fails to recognize any player who wore #72.

And thanks to the poster above for the Jim Paek pic, didn’t know he had that custom stitching on his gloves. Where’d you find that pic?

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He only appeared in 11 games with the Kings before being shipped off to New York.

Another funny anecdote concerning Churla’s time with the Kings. As you’ll notice in the video, he wore two numbers, 72 and 11, but apparently the Kings media guide fails to recognize any player who wore #72.

And thanks to the poster above for the Jim Paek pic, didn’t know he had that custom stitching on his gloves. Where’d you find that pic?

Google searched Jim Paek Los Angeles and clicked on images. Came up as a twitter post on I assume the 8th page of results

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Never thought of using twitter to search for rare hockey pictures, but seems like it a great source to find some rare pictures.
CbcT2IhWAAAmLlF

DhcheCpXkAEKApQ

Unfortunately, I haven't come across any pics of Klima in a Pens' sweater, although apparently someone out there owns a Klima Penguins jersey that's for sale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad