Dude! What are you doing in that uniform? Part III

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Jacques Lemaire as a Sabre. I actually had this card (which was thrown out by my parents during one of our moves, along with my other beloved cards). He never played for Buffalo. instead, Opee-Chee (or was it Topps, I don't remember) thought they'd get the jump on a rumoured moved to the Sabres that never happened.
1974-75_OPC_Jacques_Lemaire-e1440793346626.jpg
Had this card too!!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Brad Park with Detroit.

BMT1984.jpg
Brad Park actually did okay with Detroit from 1983 to 1985, being an elder statesman during Yzerman's first two seasons (and Gallant and Kocur's first). He put up some points, and still had gas left in the tank.

However, I wonder if he didn't regret taking over head coaching duties for (most of) 1985-86. In his 45 games behind the bench, the Wings had a .222 record. Kind of an unfortunate way to go out.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Of course, these photos must have appeared on these threads before, but anyway let me state it plainly: ex-dynasty Oilers should not be wearing Flames' jerseys!!

Grant Fuhr:
getty_gfuhr.jpg

Steve Smith:
50498-1725144Fr.jpg

I can't really blame Smith, though. He served a senior role (captain, as above) on the Flames and then transitioned into coaching and so on, so it worked out well for him. (I recall running into him once in a Safeway in Calgary as he was deliberating over yogurt.)

Flames' fans are generally very knowledgeable and classy, but unfortunately, because of this unforgettable incident...
3_pnkt.gif

...even as a member of the Flames, Smith would sometimes skate behind his team's net and certain Flames "fans" would start chanting, "Shoot! Shoot!".

Terrible.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Of course, these photos must have appeared on these threads before, but anyway let me state it plainly: ex-dynasty Oilers should not be wearing Flames' jerseys!!

Steve Smith: <photo>

I can't really blame Smith, though. He served a senior role (captain, as above) on the Flames and then transitioned into coaching and so on, so it worked out well for him.

Other way around: Brian Sutter hired him as an assistant coach in 1997, at age 34. He decided to make a comeback as a player the next summer, with the caveat that he wouldn't play every game in order to take it easy on his back. He specifically asked to never play back-to-back games.

Reactions: The Panther

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Two former long time Rangers in their 30s ended up retiring Kings after only appearing in one season with the team.

Pretty sure we can find an even longer list of former Habs who were well into their 30s that the Kings ended up acquiring and then promptly retired after a season or so, like Steve Shutt. And who could forget Rick Martin and his four games with the Kings.

No wonder it took them 45 years to finally win a Cup.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Two former long time Rangers in their 30s ended up retiring Kings after only appearing in one season with the team.

Pretty sure we can find an even longer list of former Habs who were well into their 30s that the Kings ended up acquiring and then promptly retired after a season or so, like Steve Shutt. And who could forget Rick Martin and his four games with the Kings.

No wonder it took them 45 years to finally win a Cup.

Larry Robinson is an example.

It's odd to think that Robinson retired a King, Savard retired a Jet and Lapointe retired a Bruin of all things.

The Canadiens were all about letting these guys continue their careers. Shutt was traded for Future Considerations, Lapointe was traded for Future Considerations, Savard was claimed off waivers, Robinson left as a free agent.

In the case of Savard, he had actually announced his retirement but then his ex-teammate, John Ferguson talked him out of it. Ferguson was the General Manager of the Winnipeg Jets and knew how important a veteran like Savard could be to his club. He came out of retirement, the Canadiens left him unprotected and the Jets picked him on waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Speaking of "What Are You Doing In That Uniform" that's long-time Maple Leaf Miro Frycer during one of his 14 games as an Edmonton Oiler.

... so it is... good eye..... Miro put out a book called "My Wild Hockey Life" that by all accounts is really quite good. From his Defection to the West... the Ballard years of the 80's & his battles with John Brophy etc.

Last edited:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Larry Robinson is an example.

It's odd to think that Robinson retired a King, Savard retired a Jet and Lapointe retired a Bruin of all things.

The Canadiens were all about letting these guys continue their careers. Shutt was traded for Future Considerations, Lapointe was traded for Future Considerations, Savard was claimed off waivers, Robinson left as a free agent.

Unless your name was Guy Lafleur in which case you were bound to team for life even if it was 10 min per night in a defensive role...

We could be posting picks of Lafleur in an Oilers or Pens uni but GM Savard prefered Guy retire over seeing him continue his career with another team

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I always really liked Markus Ketterer (and thought he'd be a star) thanks to some Upper Deck card I got one time.

Sorry for the OT, but I have to get this out of my system. One of the biggest traumas of my hockey fan life. :)

I wasn´t really a fan of Ketterer as a kid while a played. I guess partly because I disliked the team where he played. But I rooted for him in NT and admitted that he seemed annoyingly good. He was All-Star on our first ever U20 gold (Yeah we won because of Piestany, but still Ketterer was good). He went to win 4 straight Finnish league gold. Was a key member in our first Canada Cup success (semifinal) and All-star in our first WCH medal in 1992. I was sure that he would make to NHL

But that never happened. At that point teen age Sanf was sure that Finnish goalies are just crap and don´t just make it in NHL. :)

I think at that point I was too young to analyze what went wrong. There were back problems. Sure that is one of the reason (especially to modernize his techinique back would have been in harder test). But when I look old games from league now he played deep in the net. Almost afrayed to move out. Poorish stickhandler. And in many ways rather relic Euro goalie even for the time. Reminds me some of the 70´s goalies. And he was 26 when he went to NA.

As a sidenote in 1988 Urpo Ylönen brought him to TPS because he wanted to work with him. But after Ketterer came Ylönen got an big offer to be an Head coach in other team and left TPS. So they never worked together. Impossible to say if that would have changed anything, but it would have been nice to see.

Reactions: Killion

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Unless your name was Guy Lafleur in which case you were bound to team for life even if it was 10 min per night in a defensive role...

We could be posting picks of Lafleur in an Oilers or Pens uni but GM Savard prefered Guy retire over seeing him continue his career with another team
Rangers ?

Nordiques ?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

Grant Fuhr:
getty_gfuhr.jpg

Steve Smith:
50498-1725144Fr.jpg

I can't really blame Smith, though. He served a senior role (captain, as above) on the Flames and then transitioned into coaching and so on, so it worked out well for him. (I recall running into him once in a Safeway in Calgary as he was deliberating over yogurt.)

Flames' fans are generally very knowledgeable and classy, but unfortunately, because of this unforgettable incident...
3_pnkt.gif

...even as a member of the Flames, Smith would sometimes skate behind his team's net and certain Flames "fans" would start chanting, "Shoot! Shoot!".

Terrible.

I hate stuff like this. Hate how fellow Devils fans are still taunting Oilers fans with this 1 for 1 garbage in memes and stuff. While we sit in the NHL basement.

This is such a tough heavy thing to live down. Buckner is still haunted by it. As is Scott Norwood (who's miss wasn't even a gaffe or brain fart but a legitimately extremely difficult kick for the era)

Reactions: iamjs and Tarantula

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Paul Coffey played for 9 teams as did Jagr. They both hold the record for Hall of Fame players. You'd think that lessens the weirdness but no.

Coffey as a Whaler, Blackhawk or Bruin
Jagr as a Flyer, Star or Flame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad