Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
4843-84Fr.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Oh yeah, the WHA yields some great examples. I like how that pic of Ullman has him in red socks that obviously are not the team colors.
Here's a goodie:

jacques-plante-1975-76-o-pee-chee-34.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Awesome! Great finds. Still after 30++ years strange seeing Plante, Parent, Stapleton, Sanderson et al in WHA uniforms... Hull in a Red Wings outfit. And great shot of Cap'n Kirk there as a Devil.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Typical for 70's hockey cards, that's an airbrushed pic. He spent the first half of that season (76-77) with St.Louis, and if you look in the background you can see a Blues player in their dark uniform. I searched for an action pic of him on either team and got nothing. Only played 32 games for St.Louis and 16 for the 'Nucks as mentioned.

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
^^^ Awesome! Great finds. Still after 30++ years strange seeing Plante, Parent, Stapleton, Sanderson et al in WHA uniforms... Hull in a Red Wings outfit. And great shot of Cap'n Kirk there as a Devil.

yeah yeah yeah! really strange, the Dennis Hull one struck me the strangest, i recall when it happened at the time, but still it was a bit of a shocker. the old school ones from the 60s thru 80s are all more shocking to me than the newer ones, even though i lived through them all. i think back in the day, it seems a lot more of the elite guys just stayed with one team for their careers, & guys like Hull just became so associated with their respective teams that it was hard to imagine them ever moving.

i don't know if it was the Gretzky trade what done it to me, or the age of free agency, but all i know is looking at guys from the past 20 years in "other" unis doesn't give me much of a jolt. it just seems that these days you almost expect most elite guys will move on at some point.

guess the WHA uniforms are even more striking because i never ever got a chance to see the WHA, just the odd photo in the paper sometimes.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
the old school ones from the 60s thru 80s are all more shocking to me than the newer ones, even though i lived through them all. i think back in the day, it seems a lot more of the elite guys just stayed with one team for their careers, & guys like Hull just became so associated with their respective teams that it was hard to imagine them ever moving.

i don't know if it was the Gretzky trade what done it to me, or the age of free agency, but all i know is looking at guys from the past 20 years in "other" unis doesn't give me much of a jolt. it just seems that these days you almost expect most elite guys will move on at some point.

Agreed. It was always a jolt to see guys who spent 10-15 years with one team suddenly wind up with another team, especially an expansion one, at the end of their career. Like Tim Horton on the Penguins.

Even though Gretzky attained the most fame with the Oilers, he still has a legacy as a King and a Ranger, so if anything he looks most out of place in Blues' garb, especially that bizarro design they had at the time. Same with Messier - fame as an Oiler but also as a Ranger. As you say, sort of paved the way for what has become a common trend.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
WOW, I did not know that Shutt and Martin finished up with the Kings! Great examples. Martin only played 4 games with LA over 2 seasons so it's amazing there's a picture available.

Crozier as a Cap is odd too. He's one of those guys that you can equally associate as a Redwing or a Sabre, spent about the same number of years with each. Since I started following hockey in 1970, I always think of him in Buffalo togs. Played all 70 games with the 64-65 Wings!

Last edited:

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
WOW, I did not know that Shutt and Martin finished up with the Kings! Great examples. Martin only played 4 games with LA over 2 seasons so it's amazing there's a picture available.

I can remember when Montreal shipped Shutt off to Los Angeles, that was one of the reasons why Guy Lafleur packed it in around December 1984. With Shutt gone like that, Guy knew that he was most likely next in line concerning the remaking of the club that Serge Savard and Jacques Lemaire had in mind which involved getting rid of players that were on the team when they both played and other things like persuading veterans like Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson to cover up with helmets and adopting far more defensive game systems.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is my first time posting an image, so I apologize in advance if this doesn't work.

The picture is aimed at Killion, since it features one of his favourite all-time goaltenders in a Washington Capitals uniform (played 3 games in 76-77 season).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SasBbb8FsXM/TwqUeegSPfI/AAAAAAAAAjc/Vh8QWmhpLO0/s400/CROZIER.bmp

Man, thats something else! Hadnt seen that before. Had a 1.17 GAA in his last 3 games. Outstanding.... Hair all gone though. Poor Roger. Rookie & second year in the NHL.... just kinda all went downhill thereafter.

Pat Falloon, Pittsburgh Penguins (30 games, 1999-2000)

Looks like someone let all the air outta Falloons Balloon there huh iamjs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad