Not open for further replies.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
So I'll start it off with this beauty.

52303055-640x427.jpg

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Now that we have a new thread, I'd just like to post a reminder - please identify the players. Not everyone is familiar with every era.

Secondly, and this is just my personal pet peeve about what qualifies for this thread - NHL players pictured in world cup/international/olympic uniforms are not good examples, in my opinion. Nor NHL players in their childhood or junior jerseys.

I think the spirit of the thread is that an NHL player is identified with a certain team, and you can't picture him on another NHL team (or WHA team or minor league team in some cases). When he plays a good portion of his career for one team or gains fame with one team, then finishes up with a season or handful of games with one or more other teams, he just doesn't look right in those other uniforms.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
^ It's Sean Avery. Detroit was his first NHL team and I think he played almost 80 games or so split over two seasons there, but he didn't fit in well with all the nice guy veterans. I think Yzerman for example despised him pretty hard.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
richter.jpg
Mike Richter with the Flint Spirits in 89-90. This is the only team Mike Richter played for between 87-88 and 02-03 that wasn't called the Rangers. Played for the Denver/Colorado Rangers, and also the Binghampton Rangers, and of course NY.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Steve Smith in a Flames jersey.
491200-oct-1999-steve-smith-of-the-calgary-flames-gettyimages.jpg

Al Iafrate with the Bruins and Sharks.
boston-bruins-al-iafrate-212-the-leaf-set-1994-donruss-nhl-ice-hockey-trading-card-47439-p.jpg

IafrateSharks.jpg

And Phil Housley with the Leafs, which only lasted for 1 regular season and 3 playoff games.
g_housley_vi.jpg

Reactions: Fixxer

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Jari Kurri with the Rangers, Avs, and Ducks. Hard to believe how much he moved around towards the end of his career, similar to what we saw with Paul Coffey.

ap96042801268.jpg

Jari_Kurri_1997.jpg

image.php

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Yep. The Stastny Brothers all used CHIMO Sticks (mfgd by SherWood-Drolet) & wore the Orbit brand of molded plastic skates that competed wit models from Lange, Micron & even Bauer who had some available for awhile.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
^
true but i can actually remember him playing like 20 some games with hartford whereas to me he just looks very out of place in the hurricanes sweater and most other teams he bounced around with at the end of his career

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
yet you have no comment on Sittler's Cooperalls :laugh:

... :) ya, I guess I do actually. Great idea those one piece pant dealeo's. But practically speaking, quite dreadful to be using. First they didnt breath properly so you were just sweating buckets, tiring quickly. Then there was the problem with sliding in the things if you got knocked for a ride on the ice. Like a Speed Skier losing it on a 45 degree glacier doing 156.2mph. Not quite as bad as those idiotic suits that actually fused to the skin with the speed & friction while the poor guys RagDolling it, unconscious if he's lucky but still. Its like you gained speed with Cooperalls. Luge run. I tried them in a beer league back in the day that also mandated full face masks so I go get one of those lexan nightmares from Hell. Between the Cooperalls & that full plastic face shield, the idiotic Tuuk Blade system on my Tacks which was like having your blades mounted on egg cartons, that was it for me. That aint hockey. Thats masochism. Like being locked in a sauna and handcuffed wearing a scuba suit & full helmet mask, someone messing with your oxygen supply.

... and note, even as it is with the pant/sock combination, players latest trend is to have the inseam on their pants opened up, bear skin from just above the knee to an inch or two below the crotch. Additionally, new development in socks; using kevlar threads, anti-ballistics, cut proof. They dont breathe at all, and again, you hit the ice in them, your going for a ride. Yet again like Cooperalls', heralded as the greatest thing since the curved blade, the Tuuk Blade system, the one piece carbon boot skate, helmets, shields, composite sticks...

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
^ It's Sean Avery. Detroit was his first NHL team and I think he played almost 80 games or so split over two seasons there, but he didn't fit in well with all the nice guy veterans. I think Yzerman for example despised him pretty hard.

Wasn't there some case where Hull gave him hard time for chirping to Sakic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad