Dude! What are you doing in that uniform? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
That was weird, as was his one season with the Bruins.

leetch.jpg

I remember when I first saw the old thread, I immediately found that picture. I'm still trying to block his time with the Leafs and Bruins out of my mind. :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Thats one of the best so far. Leetch as a Leaf or a Bruin? Sorry. Uniform dont fit. Ranger forever in the minds eye.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Leetch grew up in New England though so he's got that connection. Perhaps he was a Bruin or Whaler fan as a kid?

Entirely probable. Born in Texas, moved to San Francisco & lived there for awhile but grew up in Cheshire Connecticut. His father was also a decent player, Winger. All American playing for Boston College as a walk-on early 60's, one of the last cuts to the 64 US Olympic Team that competed at Innsbruck.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I posted these a while ago in the older thread, figured I'd bring some of the most notable over.

hextall.jpg

Ron Hextall, New York Islanders (93-94, 65 GP)

hodge.jpg

Charlie Hodge, Vancouver Canucks (70-71, 35 GP)

p-566763-luc-robitaille-pittsburgh-penguins-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-aj-robl133020.jpg

Luc Robitaille, Pittsburgh Penguins (94-95, 46 GP)

4864-96Fr.jpg

Clark Gillies, Buffalo Sabres (86-88, 86 GP)

$(KGrHqR,!q4E%2BoHOWO7WBQDJzBd3FQ~~60_35.JPG

Dave Semenko, Hartford Whalers (86-87, 51 GP)

palmateer.jpg

Mike Palmateer, Washington Capitals (80-82, 60 GP)

tumblr_ma5ihl8vbN1rgqo6ko1_400.png

Ron Francis, Toronto Maple Leafs (03-04, 12 GP)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ ya, thats a strange collection of sights alrighty. Palmateer in particular to me as he'd been a Marlboro from like Pee Wee in the then called THL/MTHL, then in Junior, the Leafs.... Washington then fairly newly minted. Novel, and dreadful.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Continued...

andy_moog.jpg

Andy Moog, Montreal Canadiens (97-98, 42 GP)

GartnerNorthStars.jpg

Mike Gartner, Minnesota North Stars (88-90, 80 GP)

one_moore05.jpg

Dickie Moore, St. Louis Blues (67-68, 27 GP)

fedorov_blog.jpg

Sergei Fedorov, Washington Capitals (07-09, 70 GP)

dionnerags.jpg

Marcel Dionne, New York Rangers (86-89, 118 GP)

large_Larmer.jpg

Steve Larmer, New York Rangers (93-95, 115 GP)

park.jpg

Brad Park, Detroit Red Wings (83-85, 147 GP)

irbe.jpg

Arturs Irbe, Vancouver Canucks (97-98, 41 GP)

forsberg-nashville.jpg

Peter Forsberg, Nashville Predators (06-07, 17 GP)

Mats-Sundin.jpg

Mats Sundin, Vancouver Canucks (08-09, 41 GP)

cheevers.jpg

Gerry Cheevers, Toronto Maple Leafs (61-62, 2 GP)

My that was a large post. :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ It was that GoodOl22. :laugh:

Only Bizarro World shot of the lot, to me at least... Gerry Cheevers.
Looks like James Dean. Explains everything. Rebel Without A Cause.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah Cheevers in a Leafs jersey and without his legendary mask really threw me for a loop.

Ya, incredibly fine detail in that photograph as well. The equipment, specifically his gloves pre-Cooper with the Waffle Board Blocker & GM12 Trappers.... well, I remember using those earlier models he's got on. Absolutely no real "feel". The blocker having a mitt rather than individual fingers in the form of a normal glove. Re-directing shots to rebound into the corners or tilting it forward so the puck doesnt return to the shooter straight out problematical. The trapper or catcher a tiny pocket and you were guaranteed to be in pain when you caught a puck. Stung like you wouldnt believe. Seriously primitive. Even his pads. Short & heavy, absorbed moisture from the ice from outside, from your sweat from the inside, gaining weight & exhausting one from period to period. If you added a mask & shut down the breathe-ability factor, just getting oxygenated, you could easily lose 10lbs over the course of a game. And look at Gerry? Looks positively svelte. Far cry from his later days.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The 1998-99 Red Wings had a slew of these types of acquisitions.

Wendel Clark:
WC0309.jpg

Bill Ranford:
RANB106020.jpg

An older Petr Klima in his second stint with the Wings (and the first and last team he'd play for in the NHL):
klima_apr.jpg

Ulf Samuelsson:
samuelsson_slide.jpg

Jamie Macoun:
macoun_slide.jpg

Todd Gill:
393146-jan-1999-todd-gill-of-the-detroit-red-wings-in-gettyimages.jpg

And this free agent dud who didn't appear in many games with the Wings, Uwe Krupp:
uwe-krupp.jpg

I remember what a joke it was that Red Wings fans voted him near the top of the All-Star ballots that season.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Great contributions fellas, exactly the type of examples that fit the criteria!
My personal favorite - Harry Howell, the quintessential Ranger of the 50's and 60's and then suddenly...
HowellOak.jpg

howell_harry_seals_225x300.jpg

harryhowell1972-73opc193.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find any pics of him on his four WHA teams (NY Golden Blades, Jersey Knights, San Diego Mariners, Calgary Cowboys) although I'm pretty sure I've seen hockey cards, they don't show up in a Google search. Best I could do is his skates from the Golden Blades (yes, gold-plated, and yes, he played on two different teams that wore colored skates)
howell_skate.jpg

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Concerning Ian Turnbull, I can remember reading in William Houston's Inside Maple Leaf Gardens: The Rise and Fall of the Toronto Maple Leafs, that Roger Neilson argued in a team meeting following the deep run into the 1978 playoffs that Ian Turnbull could and should be traded, as at that time he was at his highest trade value. Harold Ballard said no way, "I would not trade Ian Turnbull for God". Houston noted that Neilson's hunch proved right (Turnbull could be very inconsistent in his play) and by the time Turnbull was sent to Los Angeles about 1980 or 1981, he was basically at the end of the line and the Leafs got only Billy Harris (also at the near end of the line) and John Gibson. I have always been curious to know who Neilson might have had in mind to trying pitching for with Turnbull as trade bait back in 1978 and wonder what may could have been for the Leafs instead had they done this? Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad