Confirmed with Link: Duclair, J. Moore, 1st (2016), 2nd (2015) for Yandle (50% Retained), Summers, and 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
thats why i laugh when other fans say we've "mortgaged the future".. are you kidding me? Keith yandel or Sekera????? being biased, or hating on the rangers is one thing but come on people, acknowledge a good/fair trade when you see one.. i wouldve never guessed a 1st moore and duclar woudlve gotten yandel..

sekera is good but not even close to what yandel is or could bring

And AZ is paying 1/2 his salary. That's HUGE.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The downside here might be that Yandle could struggle to adapt to the Rangers system for awhile here...thankfully there's time before the playoffs for him to do so but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit out of it for the first few weeks

At least we have the luxury of having McDonagh and Staal still on the left side. My prediction is that Yandle gets mostly sheltered minutes and PP time for a few weeks to get acclimated

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Defenseman, especially PMDs, are a premium in this league. That's why every July 1, everyone complains about what UFA D-men get paid. We just got a premier one.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
At least we have the luxury of having McDonagh and Staal still on the left side. My prediction is that Yandle gets mostly sheltered minutes and PP time for a few weeks to get acclimated

Even if he plays really mediocre hockey, he'd still be an upgrade over Moore if he's playing in the 3rd pairing for the first bit.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Defenseman, especially PMDs, are a premium in this league. That's why every July 1, everyone complains about what UFA D-men get paid. We just got a premier one.

In his prime at a cap hit of 2.6M for the next season and a quarter.

Well done Slats. Well done. :handclap::handclap:

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
And AZ is paying 1/2 his salary. That's HUGE.

i mean COME ON people thats insane... I wouldve never thought.. Yandel has been in rumors for 2+ years.. Bost & philly were "Suppose" to get him..

And the icing on the cake this isn't a rental - which Slats is awsome on only giving 1st for players signed for multiple years..

Slats deserves credit, done a lot of wrong but we got a good management team doing their JOBs

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We're gonna be scoring 5,435,233 goals and will have Hank in net, I don't care that much about his defensive game. He's replacing John Moore anyway, not exactly a rock back there...

Also to touch on an earlier comment, I think Sather has been one of the best GM's in hockey since the McDonagh trade.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
thats why i laugh when other fans say we've "mortgaged the future".. are you kidding me? Keith yandel or Sekera????? being biased, or hating on the rangers is one thing but come on people, acknowledge a good/fair trade when you see one.. i wouldve never guessed a 1st moore and duclar woudlve gotten yandel..

sekera is good but not even close to what yandel is or could bring

Yandle's contract expires the same year that Boyle's does--2016 offseason... That's probably the thinking here. If McIlrath is ready to take NHL ice at that time (which I presume he will be), he will take Boyle's place in the D corps, and we can allot that money to Yandle.

If Skjei or Allen (doubtful) is ready at the same time (absolutely possible), it would be wise to look into moving Girardi with retained salary, alotting his pay to Yandle to keep for an additional 5-7 years.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You're completely right. And he would get even more credit if it weren't for Redden, Gomez, Richards, Drury, Glass etc...

Richards took us to the Cup Final and has the 2nd most NYR playoff points of active players.
Gomez = McD
Drury was decent, but overpaid.

Redden? Yeah.
Glass? Yup.

Every team in the league has their Redden and Glass. Every. Single. Team.

Look at the whole picture. Playoff appearances, ECF, Final, etc...

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Yandle's only signed through next year though. I think it would be amazing if we could extend him, but it's not as big of a deal as some might think.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Richards took us to the Cup Final and has the 2nd most NYR playoff points of active players.
Gomez = McD
Drury was decent, but overpaid.

Redden? Yeah.
Glass? Yup.

Every team in the league has their Redden and Glass. Every. Single. Team.

Look at the whole picture. Playoff appearances, ECF, Final, etc...

Glass is AV, not Sather. If you recall, Sather wanted Carcillo back after last season. Glass came along and destroyed that dream

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Boyle should have never been signed. Sather has been horrible at getting this team a PPQB, a puck mover on defense. He paid a big price for one today, cover up those holes he never filled !

He gave him a #10 overall, the guy took Mcilrath.

Ryan Clowe worked out?
?

JT Miller, Kreider, MDZ, obviously more than just McI that comment was a little excessive in its dis ingenuousness. I'm sure the sensitiveness that comes with the players involved compels me to comment. Hated the Clowe trade. Hate it still. Who should he have gotten to cover up that hole? I honestly don't remember too many folks being available for it. Richards fell off the face of the universe which nobody thought would happen and MDZ just couldn't hack it. Wasn't for lack of trying with legitamate options

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i think sather fleeced maloney here. big time.

that was his premier chip. he didn't get value and it showed in his presser. he looked defeated.

duclair is nice but he's not a guarantee. john moore was a throw in and has work to do. the picks are just picks. we gave value but not what i think handle warranted. he wanted out. maloneys hand was forced.

bottom line, taking back 1/2 the salary is huge. they really were in love with duke mostly from his mojo with max domi.

keith yandle is a big time player. he is the "final piece" kinda player for us.

not sure maloney lives through this one while slats basks in the glow of another deadline trade fleece job.

anyone who is still crying over this deal, given where we are, needs to realize how close we are now to a drink from the hardware.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yandle's only signed through next year though. I think it would be amazing if we could extend him, but it's not as big of a deal as some might think.

How do you figure? He's at 50% until the end of next year. If he's underwhelming or they don't want to commit for any reason, he's a very, very valuable asset at the draft, and still a huge asset at next year's deadline.

If they do want to extend him, Boyle is done the same year Yandle's deal is up and that will more than cover his raise.

I think it's a huge, huge deal. NYR have a ton of flexibility with the D going forward. Depending on if any prospects make it, which ones, what Boyle's skill level is next year, etc, they can go in any number of directions.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
lol weekes discussing trade and talks about how we lost GOAT Anton Stralman

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't briefly picture this D with Stralman instead of Boyle and get a little teary eyed.

But, whatever. Past is past. Boyle's alright if he can be sheltered in particular, and now it's easier than ever to do that.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Yandle's contract expires the same year that Boyle's does--2016 offseason... That's probably the thinking here. If McIlrath is ready to take NHL ice at that time (which I presume he will be), he will take Boyle's place in the D corps, and we can allot that money to Yandle.

If Skjei or Allen (doubtful) is ready at the same time (absolutely possible), it would be wise to look into moving Girardi with retained salary, alotting his pay to Yandle to keep for an additional 5-7 years.

100% agree we will move out a dman and recoup a young player of 1st round talent.. we've been doing it for how many years now..

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
How do you figure? He's at 50% until the end of next year. If he's underwhelming or they don't want to commit for any reason, he's a very, very valuable asset at the draft, and still a huge asset at next year's deadline.

If they do want to extend him, Boyle is done the same year Yandle's deal is up and that will more than cover his raise.

I think it's a huge, huge deal. NYR have a ton of flexibility with the D going forward. Depending on if any prospects make it, which ones, what Boyle's skill level is next year, etc, they can go in any number of directions.

We have more than just him and Boyle coming off the books after next year, we have Kreider and Hayes who are both due to get huge raises. It can def be problematic, though def not impossible.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I haven't decided if I love this trade or hate it. Lots to give up for the future. Yandle is someone who should fit in VERY well here. They need another player who can drive the offense from the back end. When Boyle is gone, that leaves the money for a raise for Yandle right there. Re-sign him with that.

Duclair is a hefty price to pay, not going to lie. But if they win a Cup I won't care. Or if they can re-sign him, it's worth it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

It technically does not cover the raise plus another player to replace his 3rd pairing spot.

Boyle makes $4.5, Yandle actually makes $5.25M, but we're only paying $2.625M. That puts Yandle at $7.125M if we don't factor in any cap increases or replacement players.

But you'd have to factor in Skjei or McIlrath coming in on their ELC/Bridge deals, which is another $1M... So let's pray that we're able to have McIlrath take a 3/4 year bridge deal.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We have more than just him and Boyle coming off the books after next year, we have Kreider and Hayes who are both due to get huge raises. It can def be problematic, though def not impossible.

We have more leaving than Boyle too though.

MSL for example will be gone by then. I'd bet pretty much anything on that. Perhaps replaced by someone very cheap like Buch.

Plus, there's a decent chance McI or Sjkei take a D spot.

There are enough prospects pushing that they can make it work IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad