GDT: Ducks visit Red Wings 7:30 PM ET on 10 - 8 - 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Guhle was throwing crosschecks at the guy in the crease the entire time the Wings were on that delayed penalty at the end of the second. He doesn’t avoid contact, and that’s not the only time I’ve seen him being chippy trying to clear the crease.

The positive is that he appeared to be playing more consistent and at least trying to play chippier. However, for all his athletic abilities he seems like hes too light on his skates or doesn't have upper body strength to bump guys off the puck unless he is skating at them. He struggles alot in front of his net and boxing out puck carriers from the goal because of this. I'm not sure if he will be able to add that weight, I think he's only gained like 15 lbs in 5 years. Probably won't be able to add more than 5 lbs the next 3-5 years.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The positive is that he appeared to be playing more consistent and at least trying to play chippier. However, for all his athletic abilities he seems like hes too light on his skates or doesn't have upper body strength to bump guys off the puck unless he is skating at them. He struggles alot in front of his net and boxing out puck carriers from the goal because of this. I'm not sure if he will be able to add that weight, I think he's only gained like 15 lbs in 5 years. Probably won't be able to add more than 5 lbs the next 3-5 years.
Yeah, he’s not real good at it but it appears he’s game to try at least. It was more a note that he’s definitely not a “soft” player who avoids contact.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I think Guhle has improved over the first two games. He's still not great in his own zone and had some trouble covering the point (I know, bad because he is a defensemen). But he's does seem more confident with the puck and even got off a couple of nice shots.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
the team really seemed to pick it up in the 3rd.

Just like they used to not so long ago. It's early and I'm waiting to see how they react to adversity, like a first losing streak, but so far it looks and feels like a team reinvigorated.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Idk this talk about Guhle being soft/having poor IQ definitely doesn’t line up with what I’ve seen from him so far this season. Small sample size though

Maybe it's the better coaching he's received from an actual coach that has a good record of development of young players. I'd like to think so. For some players, a good coach can make a world of difference.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Guhle has a great hard low point shot that will be a weapon and great athleticism. Going to be a good one.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Maybe it's the better coaching he's received from an actual coach that has a good record of development of young players. I'd like to think so. For some players, a good coach can make a world of difference.

I think this could be it... a good coach maximizes their players strengths. Guhle is best when he doesn’t have to think on the fly. Dallas and the staff are probably making him do a lot of drills to help him be more automatic, like when the puck is dumped or when to pinch in. That’s what good coaching does, it prepares their players the best they can and this is helping Guhle with his reaction time and confidence. Detroit was as good as the ducks in forechecking and it was the first time where I didn’t have to be nervous when he was retrieving the puck. Manson was the only guy I noticed that got trapped the most.

My wish is that he could add another 10+ lbs of strength and maybe he could be a mini Ekholm with all his tools.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Guhle is just what defensemen look like in the modern NHL. This isn't your gritty, crease-clearing league anymore, at least for now. Maybe the pendulum will swing back at some point. But right now, this league is all about how well you can skate.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Idk this talk about Guhle being soft/having poor IQ definitely doesn’t line up with what I’ve seen from him so far this season. Small sample size though

I don’t think he’s soft. I do question his intelligence in his own end. He’s never going to be elite in either zone but he could be a very good puck moving guy who puts up some decent offensive because of his raw tools. Maybe something like a poor mans Brett Hedican.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad