GDT: Ducks visit Red Wings 7:30 PM ET on 10 - 8 - 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Seems like they are on a winning streak- no injuries and playing well better than everyone expected

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
I know we started strong last year. But I still wanna point out, weve only allowed 1 goal each game so far. Quite impressive.

Biggest difference is that they got heavily outplayed during those games last year and still managed to win thanks to Gibson. They just look way better so far.

In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of any game last year where the Ducks didn't seem to be playing worse than their opponent, win or loss.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I was glued to the tube the whole time! Shore remains the ultimate glue guy. Grant-Rowney doing yeoman work and are truly underrated b/c they've been doing this last season. Gibby has been MVP and Getz really turns on the IQ in the third period. The Doctor is throwing waves after waves of forwards onto the ice and I like it! I also liked hearing him talking with Ritchie to keep instilling confidence. Sure, Ritchie is on the fourth line, but the way the team rolls four lines and how much it also relies on Grant, it's not your typical fourth line. Guhle is taking strides and Del Zotto had a good game (he was physical at times, which was surprising).

I'm happy to see the regulars scoring and Gibby putting on notice that he's an early candidate for the Vezina... with Getzlaf not far behind Gibby. We're winning in odd ways, but winning together. I'll take that until we get to gel better. Hopefully, this game gives the team far more confidence as they tame the Red Wings' high-scoring top line. Big kudos on the "offsides challenge"!!!

That game made me exhausted and awake simultaneously! Yay 4 Points!!!

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gibson had some luck today. A lot of posts and missed wide open nets and of course the off side call.

Reactions: la patineuse

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Let's not use the P word to soon. Ducks also started 3-0 last year against these three same teams of Arizona, San Jose, and Detroit. Bad omen? Sign of things to come? They went on to lose 9 or the next 11... as well as quite a few more games the rest of the year if I'm not mistaken.

I'm 100% just joking guys. I'm optimistic and have been looking forward to this season all summer, which is the opposite of how I felt going in to last year. I love that they are all regulation wins too. Playoffs would be nice and a real possibility I think, but I'm just happy to see the youth movement and the guys having fun again. Last year was dark.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It's unbelievable hes a young power forward coming off a great season. In addition to being one of the only muscle on a small soft team.

I’ve said it many times on here, and to other fans too. Power Forwards take a long time to develop and to come into their own. Look at how long Maroon was in the minors before he made the jump to the main team. Ritchie and his skating is (arguably) better than Maroon, but yet Maroon was able to get a free pass around here.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’ve said it many times on here, and to other fans too. Power Forwards take a long time to develop and to come into their own. Look at how long Maroon was in the minors before he made the jump to the main team. Ritchie and his skating is (arguably) better than Maroon, but yet Maroon was able to get a free pass around here.
I think wed like to see Ritchie use his skating, he had 1 hit last night. Ritchie is most effective when hes playing physical.

He was bad last night and hes been bad all season so far.

As for power forwards taking a while to develop, this is true but for every power forward that develops into a Patrick maroon career, you have 3 that become nothing at the nhl level. I think ritchie will be fine, but he needs to find ways to get involved in the game more, most of the time he looks like hes confused as to where he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to be doing.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
If we played the kings every game Ritchie would be a good player.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
That strip by Getzlaf that led to the goal...man. How many times has he done that in his career? He's never been Selke-level good, but I've always felt like his defense has been underrated around the game just because he lacks some speed and quickness to really keep up with the elite skaters and give them fits. But he makes up for it with good positioning and smart pressuring and he always has an active stick. And as long as Dallas keeps limiting his workload, he shouldn't fade late in games.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
That strip by Getzlaf that led to the goal...man. How many times has he done that in his career? He's never been Selke-level good, but I've always felt like his defense has been underrated around the game just because he lacks some speed and quickness to really keep up with the elite skaters and give them fits. But he makes up for it with good positioning and smart pressuring and he always has an active stick. And as long as Dallas keeps limiting his workload, he shouldn't fade late in games.

Getz being kept well under 20 minutes a game has made him look a couple years younger IMO. A lot of the team looks like they're a little looser, playing with more energy and passion, but Getz is extremely noticeable. I'm really happy with him so far this year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Getz being kept well under 20 minutes a game has made him look a couple years younger IMO. A lot of the team looks like they're a little looser, playing with more energy and passion, but Getz is extremely noticeable. I'm really happy with him so far this year.

It’s really good ice time management. RC overkilled players in mins. Those 3rd period bursts are so critical either to try and tie things up or keep a lead. That 3rd period just showed so much potential.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Getzlaf is so good with the other teams goalie pulled, he knows exactly when to be aggressive and most the time he finds a good moment to just overpower someone near the boards

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
It's unbelievable hes a young power forward coming off a great season. In addition to being one of the only muscle on a small soft team.
I don't know that I'd say "great" season. Definitely improved from previous years, but not what I'd consider great.

As for small and soft...you keep saying these things, and I will say we're definitely softer than we used to be, but you're just spouting this with no actual info, and the same mantra over and over.

For those with The Athletic: Sizing up the NHL: 2019-20 NHL teams by age, height, weight...
  • Anaheim is the 8th youngest team on average (26.3 average age, NHL average 27.3).
  • Anaheim is the 5th tallest team on average (73.6 average age, NHL average 73.1)
  • Anaheim is the 4th heaviest team on average (204.4 lb average, NHL average 199.3 lb)
Small is not them.

As for being soft, I'd say that's the general trend for ALL teams. In terms of not being soft, I'd include Getzlaf, Ritchie, Jones, Grant, Manson, Lindholm, and when they're in the lineup, Holzer and Deslauriers. Guys that aren't overly physical but seem to be able to hold their own include Larsson (maybe?) and Shore. Even Del Zotto last game seemed to step up his physical game.

I don't call that an overly soft team.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
The only guy on this team I'd actually call soft is Fowler. Maybe Terry, but he hasn't been involved enough at this stage. Most guys on this team have a chippiness to their game and aren't afraid to mix it up or take a hit. You have to have some edge if you want to make it in this league anymore. Just because we don't have a goon with no actual hockey skills running around looking to start shit doesn't mean they're pushovers out there.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
The only guy on this team I'd actually call soft is Fowler. Maybe Terry, but he hasn't been involved enough at this stage. Most guys on this team have a chippiness to their game and aren't afraid to mix it up or take a hit. You have to have some edge if you want to make it in this league anymore. Just because we don't have a goon with no actual hockey skills running around looking to start **** doesn't mean they're pushovers out there.
Guhle is definitely soft.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Guhle was throwing crosschecks at the guy in the crease the entire time the Wings were on that delayed penalty at the end of the second. He doesn’t avoid contact, and that’s not the only time I’ve seen him being chippy trying to clear the crease.
He had a great check on a guy with the puck behind the net in the second last night as well.

He may be skinny and a little weak but that doesn't mean he is soft. Soft players avoid that physicality.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wonder if GMBM calls the team when they are down and is put on speaker phone and says

"Better shape up or ill bring Randy back for a 3rd term"

the team really seemed to pick it up in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->