Confirmed with Link: Ducks signs Santorelli (1 year, $825k)

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Then why we`d sign him so fast? Now that we signed Santorelli you think we`d suddenly let Wagner go? I think it is not how this will gonna happen :)
That has nothing to do with it. They didn't know that they were going to sign Santorelli when they signed Wagner. They also had no reason to let him go. Wagner wasn't a player that could justify a hold out. I think that you may just be seeing what you want to see.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
One has to wonder if some of this roster stacking is an attempt to get back a 2nd/3rd by having guys you can ship out at or before the trade deadline, based on how the lines shake out.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That has nothing to do with it. They didn't know that they were going to sign Santorelli when they signed Wagner. They also had no reason to let him go. Wagner wasn't a player that could justify a hold out. I think that you may just be seeing what you want to see.
Not so sure about this. They prepare a lot for offseasons and i would like to think there was some idea about that we might be signing him.
I definitely want us to keep Wagner for a while so maybe i am really seeing what i want to see, but it makes way more sense if we keep him. As one i could mention - the overall age of forwards.
I think Horcoff was clearly Nate's replacement. Santorelli basically replaces Wagner and/or Sekac in the lineup the way I look at it.
The more i look at Santorelli the more i think he will replace Palmieri

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Not so sure about this. They prepare a lot for offseasons and i would like to think there was some idea about that we might be signing him.
I definitely want us to keep Wagner for a while so maybe i am really seeing what i want to see, but it makes way more sense if we keep him. As one i could mention - the overall age of forwards.

The more i look at Santorelli the more i think he will replace Palmieri

For me I think it isn't so much they planned to sign Santorelli specifically, so much as they saw an opportunity to sign him for cheap since he was still on the market. No one really expected a 30+ point tweener to go for a sub million dollar deal. For that price point you're probably not looking at a whole lot of players who are better than Wagner.

I'm also pretty confident that Stewart will be the "Palmieri replacement." Stweart is much more a goal scorer than Santo. As it stands our 4th line is really a 3B line as everyone on it now is really a 20-30 point player vs a 10-20 of the traditional 4th. I would expect it to run as Sekac-Horcoff-Santo. Wagner and Jackman would be the 13th and 14th forwards. They'll deal with the waiver situation when Thompson is healthy. There is plenty of time there to determine who is the fit on the team. And as others have noted there are bound to be other injuries and the possibility for to manage to keep all of them till the TDL is there. Wagner will be safest sent down before the season but I doubt it happens. He might not even make the team. Nothing against Wagner but he'll have a lot of competition to make the Ducks out of camp.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For me I think it isn't so much they planned to sign Santorelli specifically, so much as they saw an opportunity to sign him for cheap since he was still on the market. No one really expected a 30+ point tweener to go for a sub million dollar deal. For that price point you're probably not looking at a whole lot of players who are better than Wagner.

I'm also pretty confident that Stewart will be the "Palmieri replacement." Stweart is much more a goal scorer than Santo. As it stands our 4th line is really a 3B line as everyone on it now is really a 20-30 point player vs a 10-20 of the traditional 4th. I would expect it to run as Sekac-Horcoff-Santo. Wagner and Jackman would be the 13th and 14th forwards. They'll deal with the waiver situation when Thompson is healthy. There is plenty of time there to determine who is the fit on the team. And as others have noted there are bound to be other injuries and the possibility for to manage to keep all of them till the TDL is there. Wagner will be safest sent down before the season but I doubt it happens. He might not even make the team. Nothing against Wagner but he'll have a lot of competition to make the Ducks out of camp.

Good point about signing Santo, i have to agree. But i still think it will be smart to hold on to Wagner for next seasons cheap 4th line spot. His versatality and toughness will come in handy for us when we will be tight against the budget.
Bob seems to think about future so i think it is realistic that we will hold on to him.

Yes, Palmieri is more of a goal scorer but in reality he doesn`t score so much, it is just his most obvious weapon. I just think we basically got Palmieri because Santo is also fast, smallish but nasty (i`ve seen Santo going hard to the net through defenders hope it`s what he does on a regular basis). The last two seasons Santo and Palms production has actually been really similar but Santo appears to be a better forechecker and a better player without the puck. Didn`t seem that in Nashville but who knows what happened there.
Stewards nastiness and speed reminds me more of a bigger Beleskey.

Santoreli isn't that great offensively; I see Stewart as the Palmieri replacement.
Can`t argue that Palmieri probably has better offensive awarness but Santo still has made things happen at the same level as Palms the last 2 seasons.

Santorelli past 2 seasons:
128 games 23 goals 40 assists +16 (with non-playoff Vancouver and lottery team Toronto). -7 in that stretch with playoff Nashville, so +9 overall.
Palmieri past 2 seasons:
128 games 28 goals 32 assists +7

That includes Santo bad 22 game stretch with Nashville but it is also worth to mention he was bad 2 seasons prior to this period.

Last edited:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Good point about signing Santo, i have to agree. But i still think it will be smart to hold on to Wagner for next seasons cheap 4th line spot. His versatality and toughness will come in handy for us when we will be tight against the budget.
Bob seems to think about future so i think it is realistic that we will hold on to him.

It might not even be up to Murray at this point if Wagner sticks around for the 2016-2017 season. He has to play at least 69 games this season to avoid becoming a Group VI free agent which is highly improbable. If Wagner is exposed to waivers and relegated to the minors at some point I'm not sure he'll be terribly eager to stick around. Also any time you waive a player you're basically telling him we're okay if another team picks you up. With a healthy roster there's little chance he gets in the lineup and by next season if he hasn't cemented a spot in the lineup guys like Ritchie, Noesen and Kerdiles are poised to jump over him. At this point, unless we have a ton of injuries again, I think Wagner will get overlooked and ultimately let go after this season. Cheap fourth line players aren't hard to come by. We'll survive. I like how he's come along and was looking forward to him making the jump but I just don't it happening anymore.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It might not even be up to Murray at this point if Wagner sticks around for the 2016-2017 season. He has to play at least 69 games this season to avoid becoming a Group VI free agent which is highly improbable. If Wagner is exposed to waivers and relegated to the minors at some point I'm not sure he'll be terribly eager to stick around. Also any time you waive a player you're basically telling him we're okay if another team picks you up. With a healthy roster there's little chance he gets in the lineup and by next season if he hasn't cemented a spot in the lineup guys like Ritchie, Noesen and Kerdiles are poised to jump over him. At this point, unless we have a ton of injuries again, I think Wagner will get overlooked and ultimately let go after this season. Cheap fourth line players aren't hard to come by. We'll survive. I like how he's come along and was looking forward to him making the jump but I just don't it happening anymore.

wait what does group IV free agents mean again?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
wait what does group IV free agents mean again?

VI, not IV. :)

Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than:
- 80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen.
- 28 NHL games played for goaltenders.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Santoreli isn't that great offensively; I see Stewart as the Palmieri replacement.

Barring a breakout by Palmieri, Santorelli is just as good as Palmieri offensively if not better. Murray is having an amazing offseason of adding quality depth players to the forward group. Horcoff, Hagelin, Santorelli, Stewart...those are guys with proven track records unlike Etem and Palmieri

I'd take Santorelli's numbers in Nashville with a grain of salt. He didn't really fit there at all but still looked pretty good when he was out there IMO (just didn't score much).

I think we're going to get 15 goals and 20 assists at least out of him next year, especially if he's playing with Cogliano and Rakell at any point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad