Confirmed with Link: Ducks signs Santorelli (1 year, $825k)

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
this is interesting. the guy have birthday one day before me but dependig on his birth time we might have borned around the same time (he`s just 4 years older) :laugh:

Anyway, he has played with Kesler on a line. I figure he and Bieksa were asked about him. Though i don`t know where he will play, probably also in San Diego. But i wonder if there is a plan in place to get Wagner to SD and play Santorelli as the 12th/13th forward. He is not brought in with a lot of expectations that`s for sure.

Interesting about him is that even though he is regarded as quite bad defensively, he is used to kill penalties a bit. Last year averaged 38 s/game with the Leafs and 21s/game for Nashville. Probably because he is speedy and crafty. For comparison Etem averaged 27s/game last year. Nothing too much but can be put out there. I imagine we could use Santorelli on the 2nd PP unit too once in a while. He seems to have a nice and positive takeaway/giveaway ratio based on last season (44/25 last season). Seems like we can expect him to be around 45% in the circle. This was another guy (along with Stewart) that was beat by the Blackhawks last year in the playoffs), he joins our guys from last year and Bieksa from the previosu years. Khudobin seems to be the only one who hasn`t been. Note - Santorelli did not play a lot vs Blackhawks in the playoffs

I do think size will be an issue for him here. But this is an acceptable signing. I think this is the anual bargain signing that could be traded by the deadline (i believe there is a better chance Stewart sticks around) and i also believe we are at 50 contracts right now.

Now someone throw in how are his fancy stats

He will be an everyday player in Anaheim.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Could be a signing to ensure Horcoff doesn't flame out and Thompson is gone for longer then expected. Pushes everyone to be better. If he doesn't work out, he can go on waivers and help SD if unclaimed. Training camp will be fun for sure; no one should be complacent or they will be gone.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Maybe Bob is assuming we will not come out camp healthy with all the older guys on the roster up front. That makes 15 Forwards with Nate on IR for a few months to start and a pretty old roster over all.

22 Shawn Horcoff C 36
18 Tim Jackman R 33
17 Ryan Kesler C 30
44 Nate Thompson 30
15 Ryan Getzlaf "C" 30
10 Corey Perry "A" 30
Santorelli 29
7 Andrew Cogliano 28
Chris Stewart R 27
19 Patrick Maroon 27
26 Carl Hagelin L 26
33 Jakob Silfverberg 24
62 Chris Wagner R 24
46 Jiri Sekac L 23
67 Rickard Rakell C 22

Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler at 30, ****. Time has been running

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I was hoping we would sign Santorelli, awesome! :) Hope he fits in/does well.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It's an interesting signing. I like it quite a bit personally. I'm guessing that they'll try and sneak Wagner through waivers when everyone starts waiving their players.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I like this a lot, but someone is getting traded (Maroon, Wagner?)

We're not going to trade anybody just because Bob brought Santorelli in on a 1-year deal (at least not right now). If there are too many forwards, we can just waive Jackman, as we probably wouldn't re-sign him next year anyway. There also could've been a setback with Thompson's recovery, forcing him out of action for a longer period of time than expected.

Sekac - Getz - Perry
Stewart - Kesler - Silf
Hagelin - Rakell - Cogs
Maroon - Horcoff - Santo

++ Wagner, Thompson (LTIR), Jackman (Waiver-bait)

With the addition of Santorelli, there will be a bloody war for roster spots at the training camp. Knowing how Bob dealt with younger players like DSP, Palmieri and Etem, I'm especially concerned about Sekac. If he doesn't produce in a top-6 role and gets outplayed for a bottom-6 role, Bob could pull the trigger on something during the TDL or the next offseason.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Adding more talent to have competition is a good thing. At least Bob isn't complacent. Plus, sounds like one of those Bob reclamation projects that ended up developing.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We're not going to trade anybody just because Bob brought Santorelli in on a 1-year deal (at least not right now). If there are too many forwards, we can just waive Jackman, as we probably wouldn't re-sign him next year anyway. There also could've been a setback with Thompson's recovery, forcing him out of action for a longer period of time than expected.

Sekac - Getz - Perry
Stewart - Kesler - Silf
Hagelin - Rakell - Cogs
Maroon - Horcoff - Santo

++ Wagner, Thompson (LTIR), Jackman (Waiver-bait)

With the addition of Santorelli, there will be a bloody war for roster spots at the training camp. Knowing how Bob dealt with younger players like DSP, Palmieri and Etem, I'm especially concerned about Sekac. If he doesn't produce in a top-6 role and gets outplayed for a bottom-6 role, Bob could pull the trigger on something during the TDL or the next offseason.

DSP, Etem, and Palmieri were all given 3-4 years to crack the lineup, and more importantly to show improvement. Sekac could be traded, but it would be the opposite of what BM did with them.

I guess team depth is no longer an issue. As least as far as the bottom 6 is concerned.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Well so much for Wagner being a spare part. Even with Thompson out I can't see how Wagner is going to get any ice-time. Jackman either for that matter but he knows he role on this team. At that price and term you can't complain about adding a veteran who should be good for about ten goals and over 20 points at least. I watched the Leafs a lot last season and he was one of the few consistent, effective players. I wonder how much he'll actually play at center considering he's not very good on face offs. I expect he'll mainly play right wing but we already had a hell of a logjam in that department. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up in the lineup and if he'll even be an everyday player.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Nothing wrong with this signing. Bargain Basement Bob is rearing his head this off-season as always, but I think the signings he has made of this variety (Santo, Horcoff, and Stewart) have a pretty good shot of working out. Certainly no risk associated with them.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This guy was producing over .5 PPG per game on Toronto last year and we got him for less than a million.

I've always like his game. Good signing

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Yet another very nice pickup by Bob, but I agree with the consensus here that it's a bit puzzling that he added yet another depth forward when we were already 14 deep (13 until Nate returns). And there's nobody we could send down without exposing to waivers, either, unless they plan to try and sneak Wags down to SD for the benefit of both clubs. That would be ideal. Otherwise it's just more of the usual bargain depth forward hoarding from Murray, or Nate's injury may be a longer term situation than anticipated.

It's going to be near impossible for the kids to crack the big club out of camp now, that's a bit of a bummer. I suppose it's always a possibility if one of them blows the doors off, but it's a long shot now.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Horcoff - Santorelli playing together makes a lot of sense. Horcoff could technically fill the center position but you could have both guys taking faceoffs on their backhand side.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yet another very nice pickup by Bob, but I agree with the consensus here that it's a bit puzzling that he added yet another depth forward when we were already 14 deep (13 until Nate returns). And there's nobody we could send down without exposing to waivers, either, unless they plan to try and sneak Wags down to SD for the benefit of both clubs. That would be ideal. Otherwise it's just more of the usual bargain depth forward hoarding from Murray, or Nate's injury may be a longer term situation than anticipated.

It's going to be near impossible for the kids to crack the big club out of camp now, that's a bit of a bummer. I suppose it's always a possibility if one of them blows the doors off, but it's a long shot now.

I don`t think it`s anything bad. No need to rush them (in reality we are looking only at Ritchie now, if we are talking about forwards). If he dominates, we will find a spot for him during the season, but seriously i doubt that he will dominate down there to warrant a definite spot. Let him adjust to pro game

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
jYsHrvw.jpg

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I have to think that Wagner's getting traded.
Didn`t we just resigned him?

I can`t recall specifics but i think there is this time around training camp when teams doesn`t seem to pick up other teams important players from waivers. Have made me wonder if the GM`s have some ''secret'' rule there. I think one year it was Markstrom that went through wwaivers. There has been some else examples i can`t recall now, imo.
I just refuse to believe we are about to part from Wagner
You have to believe there's a two or three year window here, right?

I sure hope so :laugh:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I don`t think it`s anything bad. No need to rush them (in reality we are looking only at Ritchie now, if we are talking about forwards). If he dominates, we will find a spot for him during the season, but seriously i doubt that he will dominate down there to warrant a definite spot. Let him adjust to pro game

Good take, I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad