Confirmed with Link: Ducks signs Santorelli (1 year, $825k)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
What? This was unexpected, I thought they were done with the signings for the summer. Great signing I guess, cheap at least.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Did not see this one coming at all, but for 875K it can't hurt. Everyone seems to be saying it's a steal for him, but I wonder why he struggled so much with Nashville.
I guess Santorelli, Jackman, and Wagner will rotate in that 4th RW spot to start the season.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Did not see this one coming at all, but for 875K it can't hurt. Everyone seems to be saying it's a steal for him, but I wonder why he struggled so much with Nashville.
I guess Santorelli, Jackman, and Wagner will rotate in that 4th RW spot to start the season.

My theory is Nashville's system tends to focus on a hybrid model. They may have scored a ton, but it was through tight checking and grind. None of this compliments Santorelli particularly well. He's better when utilized in a more purely offensive minded system with a balanced supporting cast. He worked exceptionally well with Higgins and Kesler. Higgins did all the possession work, Kes road pure offense and that let Santo balance things out.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He can play wing too, can't he? Seems like a good, and surprisingly cheap, signing for a versatile bottom six guy.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My theory is Nashville's system tends to focus on a hybrid model. They may have scored a ton, but it was through tight checking and grind. None of this compliments Santorelli particularly well. He's better when utilized in a more purely offensive minded system with a balanced supporting cast. He worked exceptionally well with Higgins and Kesler. Higgins did all the possession work, Kes road pure offense and that let Santo balance things out.

Interesting. I wonder if Boudreau will experiment with that, if he has previous chemistry with Kesler. Kesler, Silfverberg, and Santorelli.

At the least, it's another option if Hagelin isn't the right guy for that line. I like options.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
this is interesting. the guy have birthday one day before me but dependig on his birth time we might have borned around the same time (he`s just 4 years older) :laugh:

Anyway, he has played with Kesler on a line. I figure he and Bieksa were asked about him. Though i don`t know where he will play, probably also in San Diego. But i wonder if there is a plan in place to get Wagner to SD and play Santorelli as the 12th/13th forward. He is not brought in with a lot of expectations that`s for sure.

Interesting about him is that even though he is regarded as quite bad defensively, he is used to kill penalties a bit. Last year averaged 38 s/game with the Leafs and 21s/game for Nashville. Probably because he is speedy and crafty. For comparison Etem averaged 27s/game last year. Nothing too much but can be put out there. I imagine we could use Santorelli on the 2nd PP unit too once in a while. He seems to have a nice and positive takeaway/giveaway ratio based on last season (44/25 last season). Seems like we can expect him to be around 45% in the circle. This was another guy (along with Stewart) that was beat by the Blackhawks last year in the playoffs), he joins our guys from last year and Bieksa from the previosu years. Khudobin seems to be the only one who hasn`t been. Note - Santorelli did not play a lot vs Blackhawks in the playoffs

I do think size will be an issue for him here. But this is an acceptable signing. I think this is the anual bargain signing that could be traded by the deadline (i believe there is a better chance Stewart sticks around) and i also believe we are at 50 contracts right now.

Now someone throw in how are his fancy stats

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Any idea what the lineup would look like to start the season and when everyone is healthy? Several people will have to go, right?

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Maybe Bob is assuming we will not come out camp healthy with all the older guys on the roster up front. That makes 15 Forwards with Nate on IR for a few months to start and a pretty old roster over all.

22 Shawn Horcoff C 36
18 Tim Jackman R 33
17 Ryan Kesler C 30
44 Nate Thompson 30
15 Ryan Getzlaf "C" 30
10 Corey Perry "A" 30
Santorelli 29
7 Andrew Cogliano 28
Chris Stewart R 27
19 Patrick Maroon 27
26 Carl Hagelin L 26
33 Jakob Silfverberg 24