Confirmed with Link: Ducks signs Santorelli (1 year, $825k)

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Personally, I'd hold on to Wagner for the moment. See how he looks at training camp, and give him a shot at making the team. Competition is good. But I don't think there is any doubt that goal just became a lot tougher for him.

I don't think Murray should be making room for the kids. In fact, I think he's made that mistake in the past, and been burned for it. Instead of penciling the kids in, I'd rather he built his team and let the kids earn their way onto it. If they deserve it, they'll find a way, and you can always move depth players out.

Oct 18, 2011
bottom 6 depth in case horcoff is too old/thompson is more hurt than we know/kids aren't ready. his production was good with the leafs and the year before with vancouver, he stuggled in nashville

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Yet another very nice pickup by Bob, but I agree with the consensus here that it's a bit puzzling that he added yet another depth forward when we were already 14 deep (13 until Nate returns). And there's nobody we could send down without exposing to waivers, either, unless they plan to try and sneak Wags down to SD for the benefit of both clubs. That would be ideal. Otherwise it's just more of the usual bargain depth forward hoarding from Murray, or Nate's injury may be a longer term situation than anticipated.

It's going to be near impossible for the kids to crack the big club out of camp now, that's a bit of a bummer. I suppose it's always a possibility if one of them blows the doors off, but it's a long shot now.

With this move Wagner has to be sent down now. There simply isn't any room for him. That or like Exit Dose suggested he gets traded. I want to believe the other 29 teams don't view Wagner as a player worth snatching during camp and he'll get sent to San Diego hassle-free. But that will constitute a major step back for him developmentally which he doesn't deserve. I mean what really matters is what's best for the team and Santorelli is a better player than Wagner. But this move might kill Wagner's development with this team.

As for any other kid making the team out of camp, unless there's a trade I don't think there's any possibility. I mean someone like Ritchie or Noesen or whoever will need to be absolutely sensational to force Murray to trade someone to make room. Our depth was really tested last year so I don't fault Murray for stocking up. But in the event we're a much healthier team this year some kids who need to get reps with the big club simply won't and that bothers me a bit.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
With this move Wagner has to be sent down now. There simply isn't any room for him. That or like Exit Dose suggested he gets traded. I want to believe the other 29 teams don't view Wagner as a player worth snatching during camp and he'll get sent to San Diego hassle-free. But that will constitute a major step back for him developmentally which he doesn't deserve. I mean what really matters is what's best for the team and Santorelli is a better player than Wagner. But this move might kill Wagner's development with this team.

As for any other kid making the team out of camp, unless there's a trade I don't think there's any possibility. I mean someone like Ritchie or Noesen or whoever will need to be absolutely sensational to force Murray to trade someone to make room. Our depth was really tested last year so I don't fault Murray for stocking up. But in the event we're a much healthier team this year some kids who need to get reps with the big club simply won't and that bothers me a bit.
Thompson is out until December or January, last I'd heard. So this likely won't be an issue for the first half of the season.

I'm inclined to think Jackman is just as much on the hot seat as Wagner. Rakell, Sekac, Horcoff, Stewart, Santorelli- and kids like Friberg, Ritchie, and Noesen- are going to be in an all-out war at training camp for bottom 6 positions.

I think that's a good thing. If our bottom 6 played better against the Hawks...

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Thompson is out until December or January, last I'd heard. So this likely won't be an issue for the first half of the season.

I'm inclined to think Jackman is just as much on the hot seat as Wagner. Rakell, Sekac, Horcoff, Stewart, Santorelli- and kids like Friberg, Ritchie, and Noesen- are going to be in an all-out war at training camp for bottom 6 positions.

I think that's a good thing. If our bottom 6 played better against the Hawks...

As it stands today Wagner is a regular scratch. Once Thompson's back, which will happen eventually, someone has to go. Having Thompson, Horcoff and Santorelli makes Wagner redundant, at least at his current level of effectiveness. We don't have another player like Jackman in the lineup. I guess if we're in a pinch we can move Jackman and call up McGrattan. I guess he could potentially make Jackman expendable but I like the way Tim skates and competes.

But if Wagner isn't as waiver-bait as a lot of us fear he is than it shouldn't be a problem. He clears and gets sent down and we call him up when we need him. But the thought of him potentially cementing a regular spot on the fourth line has almost certainly been dashed.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm kind of doubting Wagner would be a waiver pickup unless he is a monster at camp, in which case Jackman is probably sent down. If Wagner is picked up he would have to be on that team's NHL roster, correct? What exactly has Wagner shown other than throwing a bunch of hits while playing fourth line minutes? He hasn't scored a point in the NHL and last year he scored at a .58ppg clip in the AHL which is good production but not world beating. I feel he could be safely waived at camp.

Love this signing though. Such good value for a solid 3rd liner.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm kind of doubting Wagner would be a waiver pickup unless he is a monster at camp, in which case Jackman is probably sent down. If Wagner is picked up he would have to be on that team's NHL roster, correct? What exactly has Wagner shown other than throwing a bunch of hits while playing fourth line minutes? He hasn't scored a point in the NHL and last year he scored at a .58ppg clip in the AHL which is good production but not world beating. I feel he could be safely waived at camp.

Love this signing though. Such good value for a solid 3rd liner.

If he's sent down early, I think he'd clear, but for a guy of his ability, I'm not sure it's the right thing to do.

Having said that, if another team claims him, we still get first dibs if that team tries to send him down.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
That's the rule. If a player claimed off waivers is waived by his new team that season, the team that lost him jumps to the front of the waiver line. That's how we got Kunitz back.

Cool, thanks, I had never heard of that rule. Thought the only thing that mattered was the standings.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Of course Wagner is going to get claimed, you all forger he's on arguably the deepest roster in the NHL. He's played 3 years Pro in a a very deep organization. He was an AHL All Star last year. He played well in the NHL playoff games and at the end of last year and he wins 60% of his faceoffs and kills penalties.

He will not make it past any of the bottom 10 teams in this league at the time he is put on waivers.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What's with all this Wagner being sent down talk? We don't have to send him down until Thompson gets back, and even when that happens I guarantee we'll have other injuries anyway. Sure, he probably won't be in the lineup every night, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the NHL roster.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
There's also no guarantee that Santorelli is an everyday player. We're also a team to which the injury bug is not kind. I wouldn't be quick to ship anyone out. In fact I'd keep everyone around for as long as possible.

Depth good, being forced to use kids bad.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
A good signing he will help with our depth. Wish he had more then just 4 Stanley Cup playoff games of experience. Our NHL roster is getting crowded.

Oct 18, 2011
the more i think about it the more i like it. santorelli is a good player who can play all over the lineup, his production the last 2 years was good until he got to nashville. anytime you can get a 30+ point player in your bottom 6 you are ahead of the game, anaheim now has about 3 or 4 guys who can do that

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah, because he was an RFA.

Then why we`d sign him so fast? Now that we signed Santorelli you think we`d suddenly let Wagner go? I think it is not how this will gonna happen :)

Of course Wagner is going to get claimed, you all forger he's on arguably the deepest roster in the NHL. He's played 3 years Pro in a a very deep organization. He was an AHL All Star last year. He played well in the NHL playoff games and at the end of last year and he wins 60% of his faceoffs and kills penalties.

He will not make it past any of the bottom 10 teams in this league at the time he is put on waivers.

The thing is - there will not even be bottom 10 teams when he will hit the waivers. Unless you mean alphabetical order.
I think El Zilcho had a good point just few post before you. Teams will be stocked up already, you don`t see much teams with an open spot on the roster in the training camp and picking him up would mean that team have to give him an NHL spot on the team. It will be a risk for whoever picks him up.

There's also no guarantee that Santorelli is an everyday player.

This. Although all the reviews on the main board makes me optimistic, he has had some bad/meh years in his NHL career. I hear he comes in camp in a very good shape, so let him fight for a spot, play if he deserves and hope he doesn`t burn out by the end of the year.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Personally, I'd hold on to Wagner for the moment. See how he looks at training camp, and give him a shot at making the team. Competition is good. But I don't think there is any doubt that goal just became a lot tougher for him.

I don't think Murray should be making room for the kids. In fact, I think he's made that mistake in the past, and been burned for it. Instead of penciling the kids in, I'd rather he built his team and let the kids earn their way onto it. If they deserve it, they'll find a way, and you can always move depth players out.
Sums up my thoughts nicely too.

I like the idea that Rakell is going to be more challenged, while I think he'll put together a good season it can't hurt to have competition for that spot (could come in especially handy in the playoffs)

Really is a no risk pick up for 825k, if he can find his scoring from from pre-Nashville trade then it might turn out really nicely.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
There's also no guarantee that Santorelli is an everyday player. We're also a team to which the injury bug is not kind. I wouldn't be quick to ship anyone out. In fact I'd keep everyone around for as long as possible.

Depth good, being forced to use kids bad.

Definitely. Hell, last year was the first season Kesler didn't go down to some type of injury in over three years. Better to have planned ahead than be frantically trying to fix a sudden problem you didn't account for.

Way I see it, Sekac's spot is still prime real estate for some of the kids to crack if he can't figure things out. So the opportunity is there, either for Sekac or someone else.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Having said that, if another team claims him, we still get first dibs if that team tries to send him down.

Only if they waive him right away. If he's on their roster for more than 30 days he has to pass through every team again.

You have to keep in mind when he's due to be put on waivers. If it's during camp, lots of teams will be dealing with trimming their rosters and trying reconcile waiver their own players they'd rather not waive. That's why I think it's important to send Wagner down right away. Sure we have space on the roster for him until Thompson comes back but Murray rarely carries a full lineup especially now that his farm team is a car ride down the road. Holding onto Wagner until Nate comes back only to potentially have to waive him during a part of the season teams are more likely to claim a player is risky.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Only if they waive him right away. If he's on their roster for more than 30 days he has to pass through every team again.

You have to keep in mind when he's due to be put on waivers. If it's during camp, lots of teams will be dealing with trimming their rosters and trying reconcile waiver their own players they'd rather not waive. That's why I think it's important to send Wagner down right away. Sure we have space on the roster for him until Thompson comes back but Murray rarely carries a full lineup especially now that his farm team is a car ride down the road. Holding onto Wagner until Nate comes back only to potentially have to waive him during a part of the season teams are more likely to claim a player is risky.

Didn't new reports suggest that Nate could be out until January? If this is accurate, then I'd keep Wagner with the big club. After the deadline, there's not a roster limit as long as you're cap compliant. Plus, by the time January rolls around, we'll know who will probably be playing more often than not, and if Wagner and Santo are getting more games, then Jackman would probably be the one waived. This is coming from a big fan of Jackman too.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Didn't new reports suggest that Nate could be out until January? If this is accurate, then I'd keep Wagner with the big club. After the deadline, there's not a roster limit as long as you're cap compliant. Plus, by the time January rolls around, we'll know who will probably be playing more often than not, and if Wagner and Santo are getting more games, then Jackman would probably be the one waived. This is coming from a big fan of Jackman too.

In the article on Rakell yesterday on the Ducks website it said that Nate would be out 4 to 5 months. So I agree, lets see what kind of performance comes out of this group of 14 for the first 3 months, when Nate comes back BM waives or makes trades accordingly. It also provides a cushion for the injuries that come to start the season. Santorelli, Horcoff and Wagner can all play wing as well, so you get a little more bang for the roster spot.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
A little odd in that while Nate Thompson seems like he'll be out awhile, Santorelli doesn't really address that niche. He's more of a depth scorer.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
A little odd in that while Nate Thompson seems like he'll be out awhile, Santorelli doesn't really address that niche. He's more of a depth scorer.

I think Horcoff and Wagner fill the Thompson void. Santorelli shoots right and can play wing. I think he addresses our 4th line right wing position more than center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad