Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Jake Dotchin (on waivers)

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Cap Friendly shows this as an $800,000 one way contract. With both Schenn and Sustr signed for the right side I have to wonder why they have signed another right handed defensemen. This gives them three, and this doesn't count Wellinski. How many third pair right handed defensemen do we need? I understand the need for depth given what appears to be the inevitable injuries. But is this just Bob not being able to resist a bargain?

I think it's more of a project than a 18-19 NHL impact. A 24 year old with upside that the Ducks got without giving up any assets.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This guy was good alongside Hedman for a while last year but apparently had absolutely no interest in staying in any sort of shape over the offseason.

He’s an upgrade over Schenn and Sustr if he returns to form. He’s a right shot though, I think we could do with an upgrade over our left side too to be honest with the way Pettersson has started the season.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Surprised management is willing to do this when we have Welinski and Larsson appearing close but maybe management is disappointed with them?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Surprised management is willing to do this when we have Welinski and Larsson appearing close but maybe management is disappointed with them?

they couldn't beat out Pettersson in the preseason, and he's been far from terrific so I imagine they're a bit disappointed with Larsson. Welinski plays on the right, and although he wasn't great in preseason games I saw; he seemed to bring as much, if not more, than what Sustr is bringing.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
assuming he clears and Pettersson continues to struggle; I'm hoping that he'll play with Mahura in SD. Would be neat to see them develop chemistry and then both get called up and play well as our 3rd pair. Waive Sustr and send Pettersson down.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Stay at home right handed defenseman who plays with an attitude and will take some dumb penalties trying to use the body. However, stands up for his teammates when needed and will keep the front of the net clear. Good pick up PROVIDED he gets back into something resembling game shape. Physical play style much more of a fit for the "Wild West" than the "Easy East" at both the NHL and AHL levels.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Larsson has not appeared close to me in recent memory. I'm not sure he's even on the radar for this year. He's probably going to be behind Dotchin, Pettersson, Welinski, Schenn, Sustr, maybe Mahura at some point too

Beretta 390

Jul 22, 2010
Welinski ought to request a trade. Murray's doing him no favors at this point in time. IMHO they're costing him time and money if they keep bumping him down. Heard Chicago and Calgary really like him.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He was decent last year but showed up ridiculously out of shape this year. Doesn't seem like the type of person Bob would want.

Sounds like a similar situation when we picked up Maroon. I like the pickup. I think Bob wants to be faster and take less penalties but realized from the Stars game that teams realize how soft the ducks are on the back end. Manson can't play as tough as he wants since he is too important playing 22-24 minutes a game now. Petterson and Schenn/Sustr just arent playing enough minutes at 11-13 minutes a game. Hopefully Dotchkin delivers and is a cheaper version of McQuaid.

I like this way better than the Aberg pickup (much rather have picked up Dano).

Reactions: AngelDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Welinski ought to request a trade. Murray's doing him no favors at this point in time. IMHO they're costing him time and money if they keep bumping him down. Heard Chicago and Calgary really like him.
No one will trade for him, he'll either get buried and sign elsewhere or get claimed once he reaches waiver eligibility.

Reactions: Beretta 390

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
That could be in his best interests. I imagine he's regretting that he didn't go the Schultz route back then.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He's 25 and can't crack the NHL. He doesn't have much value in a trade. Every team has a Welinski.
Yeah, if there's anything the subject of this thread should teach us, it's that teams in this league will not take chances on players turning their fortunes around.

Also, he can't crack one of the deepest teams in the league. He isn't the type of defenseman the Murray likes stuffing our third pairing with, and they don't want another rookie on the pairing with Pettersson.

Why should Welinski give a shit if he has value in a trade? He'd be trying to save his own career, not trying to fulfill your little trade fantasies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yeah, if there's anything the subject of this thread should teach us, it's that teams in this league will not take chances on players turning their fortunes around.

Also, he can't crack one of the deepest teams in the league. He isn't the type of defenseman the Murray likes stuffing our third pairing with, and they don't want another rookie on the pairing with Pettersson.

Why should Welinski give a **** if he has value in a trade? He'd be trying to save his own career, not trying to fulfill your little trade fantasies.
He can if he wants I'm just saying a trade is unlikely

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Seems like a great signing. People have pointed to the similarities to Maroon. Another name that comes to mind is Beauchemin. When the ducks acquired Beauch, he was struggling and out of favor in Columbus in part because of a lack of conditioning. Beauchemin one Mighty rookie | CBC Sports

Dotchin was paired with Victor Hedman in Tampa. Not saying Dotchin is a prototypical Top 4 defenseman, but if he slots in the top 4 (with Fowler or even Lindholm) the ducks defense would be amazing. Even on the third pair, an in-shap Dotchin seems like an upgrade.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
Seems like a great signing. People have pointed to the similarities to Maroon. Another name that comes to mind is Beauchemin. When the ducks acquired Beauch, he was struggling and out of favor in Columbus in part because of a lack of conditioning. Beauchemin one Mighty rookie | CBC Sports

Dotchin was paired with Victor Hedman in Tampa. Not saying Dotchin is a prototypical Top 4 defenseman, but if he slots in the top 4 (with Fowler or even Lindholm) the ducks defense would be amazing. Even on the third pair, an in-shap Dotchin seems like an upgrade.
Pretty hard for me to swallow that we're picking up a top four defenseman through waivers. I think that's a little too optimistic. Maybe that's just me, but it could be because I haven't been imbibing the Murray koolaid.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Pretty hard for me to swallow that we're picking up a top four defenseman through waivers. I think that's a little too optimistic. Maybe that's just me, but it could be because I haven't been imbibing the Murray koolaid.

If he gets back into shape hes realistically a 5-6 guy. He looked like a top 4 guy at times last season while paired with a Norris winner which probably made him look a decent amount better than he actually is.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Sounds like a similar situation when we picked up Maroon. I like the pickup. I think Bob wants to be faster and take less penalties but realized from the Stars game that teams realize how soft the ducks are on the back end. Manson can't play as tough as he wants since he is too important playing 22-24 minutes a game now. Petterson and Schenn/Sustr just arent playing enough minutes at 11-13 minutes a game. Hopefully Dotchkin delivers and is a cheaper version of McQuaid.

I like this way better than the Aberg pickup (much rather have picked up Dano).
I was going to post similar. The Stars exposed our weakness and having schenn, Manson and possibly another if Dttchin can fit into a uniform isnt a bad thing to gamble on.

Good post thanks

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think all these 1 year vet deals are dumb. Much rather play a kid and use those combined contracts and get 1 decent middle 6 forward or bottom 6 defenseman.

Reactions: Beretta 390

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad