Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Jake Dotchin (on waivers)

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Well, the last guy we tried this with turned out pretty good in the end. Maybe being cut by Tampa will give him a kick in the ass he needs

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He was decent last year but showed up ridiculously out of shape this year. Doesn't seem like the type of person Bob would want.
Maybe as a project.... idk better than bieska and sustr i assume

Think there is some potential... he is kinda similar to josh manson style if i remember right ... obviously not as good.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I expected the Ducks to go after this guy to be honest. Kind of reminds me of Depres in the limited viewings ive had. I liked what I saw, young, big and mean and can do a little bit of everything on the ice, an ideal 5th-6th D. Still very young for a Dman at 24. This is all assuming he's in shape and committed, which I would hope is the case at this point of his career.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Does this mean Pettersson to San Diego or will he go there? On paper this looks like a good gamble.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Does this mean Pettersson to San Diego or will he go there? On paper this looks like a good gamble.

Dotchin is on waivers. If he was a UFA signing for the NHL roster he wouldn't have to go on waivers, so I believe this is a depth signing and a project for San Diego.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm thinking Dotchin is an upgrade on Sustr, and waiving/demoting the latter would create at least a small amount of cap space that could be needed to help squeeze Ritchie in.

Or maybe they just decide to keep Dotchin in SD until we inevitably run into more injuries.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Dotchin is on waivers. If he was a UFA signing for the NHL roster he wouldn't have to go on waivers, so I believe this is a depth signing and a project for San Diego.
It’s a one way contract. They probably just need him to get less fat, before he joins the big club.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Don't hate it. He was very serviceable when in shape.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Cap Friendly shows this as an $800,000 one way contract. With both Schenn and Sustr signed for the right side I have to wonder why they have signed another right handed defensemen. This gives them three, and this doesn't count Wellinski. How many third pair right handed defensemen do we need? I understand the need for depth given what appears to be the inevitable injuries. But is this just Bob not being able to resist a bargain?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So it seems he was paid 615 last year. He was cut for being out of shape and the Ducks are going to pay him 800 this year?

Seems odd even for Barstool.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So it seems he was paid 615 last year. He was cut for being out of shape and the Ducks are going to pay him 800 this year?

Seems odd even for Barstool.
That's under the assumption that Anaheim was the only team in the league interested in signing him

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Cap Friendly shows this as an $800,000 one way contract. With both Schenn and Sustr signed for the right side I have to wonder why they have signed another right handed defensemen. This gives them three, and this doesn't count Wellinski. How many third pair right handed defensemen do we need? I understand the need for depth given what appears to be the inevitable injuries. But is this just Bob not being able to resist a bargain?
It's a gamble with the aim of having long term payoff more than an immediate payoff imo - keep in mind he's still a RFA after this season while the likes of Schenn/Sustr will be gone.

If he gets himself into shape you have a guy who showed some really solid potential in his first year (IIRC he was Hedman's D partner for a while) before running into conditioning issues, and if this is a wake up call to him you have a guy who may be a 2nd pairing guy with a bit of luck. If it doesn't work out? Well it hasn't really cost anything to try.

I much prefer this type of gamble to BM's usual gamble of hoping a 1st rounder 5 years past his draft suddenly turns into an NHL player given Dotchin has at least shown some decent level of play in the last season or so in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad