Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Jake Dotchin (on waivers)

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'm okay with this signing in every other regard except the fact that Dotchin very well known for several quite exceptionally dirty hits that he has fully intended to throw. Not that I particularly mind maiming the opposition if it means we win more (and doesn't result in any permanent harm to anyone), quite frankly, but having a guy like him on the ice definitely doesn't increase our reputation.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Welinski ought to request a trade. Murray's doing him no favors at this point in time. IMHO they're costing him time and money if they keep bumping him down. Heard Chicago and Calgary really like him.

Welinski has looked nowhere near ready for the NHL level. That’s why he didn’t beat Pettersson for that spot.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Welinski has looked nowhere near ready for the NHL level. That’s why he didn’t beat Pettersson for that spot.

I don't know that those two were neccesarily directly competing for a spot. Do you think they would have started the season with 5 RHD on the roster? Once we signed Sustr and Schenn it seemed pretty clear Welinski was destined for SD barring a huge performance in camp or injury.

Pettersson was more or less competing with himself to be that third LHD on the roster out of camp, unless he had been vastly outplayed by Larsson or Mahura. Seemed based on last year that they had him earmarked for that spot.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's already played in the NHL, he's old news. An NHL player is an NHL player, but the mystery prospect could be *anything*. He could even be an NHL player!
Yes he played with hedman

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If Dotchin gets into shape to return, Duck fans are going to like him and teams like the Kings and Sharks will hate him. Opponents must keep their heads up when he is on the ice, as many have noted he will go for the Epic Hit when he gets an opportunity. While playing for the Lightning, he was near the top of the "Public Enemy List" with Leafs fans as a result of his play against them. Marchand is also a HUGE fan of Dotchin, as evident by the suspension he earned for spearing Dotchin. Dotchin is a low risk signing player who will bring an edge to the Duck's blueline while helping free up a more offensively skilled partner to wheel and deal.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If Dotchin gets into shape to return, Duck fans are going to like him and teams like the Kings and Sharks will hate him. Opponents must keep their heads up when he is on the ice, as many have noted he will go for the Epic Hit when he gets an opportunity. While playing for the Lightning, he was near the top of the "Public Enemy List" with Leafs fans as a result of his play against them. Marchand is also a HUGE fan of Dotchin, as evident by the suspension he earned for spearing Dotchin. Dotchin is a low risk signing player who will bring an edge to the Duck's blueline while helping free up a more offensively skilled partner to wheel and deal.
Sounds like Schenn and Dotchin might become new best friends that have a lot of enemies :laugh:

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
A guy like Welinski definitely has value. If he goes on waivers, a team like Edmonton should be ALL over him. They won't be, because they are the Oilers, but still.

It just isn't going to happen for him in Anaheim and I think that has been obvious since late last year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Welinski didn’t have to clear waivers this year did he? Given he’s 25 he must have to clear at some point soon right?

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

Thanks. I like him already! A guy ike this is just what we need for our Kings games.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Murray said publicly that he was looking for another Josh Manson (who isn't?) so this signing isn't surprising. Like someone mentioned, it probably eliminates any chance Welinski has here. I don't get it really. He's clearly better than, or at least as good, as Sustr.

That said, I like this signing. Low risk, potential medium/high reward.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Yes^^^ if anyone who watches the gulls games can chime in, we would appreciate knowing the status of how dotchin has looked plz

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Lisa Dillman wrote an article about Dotchin on The Athletic.
Sounds like he was going through some rough stuff and he didn't make any excuses for his condition. Here's a quote:
“He did get into details with me and he owned it all,” Eakins said. “And I was amazed. I literally wanted to stand up and give him a hug. It was a great experience to see somebody do that. He’s been excellent.
Dotchin also mentions he's only 2 or 3 pounds away from where he wants to be.

EDIT: I really hope Dotchin can become a solid 3rd pairing guy for us, he can be exactly what we need back there.

Last edited:

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
“They showed interest right away when I went through that rough patch and they stayed with me through it and kept me positive and whatnot.

“They were one of the first (teams), so I wanted to be loyal to them for showing that loyalty to me. It’s worked out great. The coaches down here have worked with me a lot, just working on building my game any way I can.”

'Model citizen' Jake Dotchin working his way back into shape...

Hard not to root for Dotchin to have success with Anaheim with quotes like these.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
hnb.gif

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
to avoid stress, I've intentionally avoided watching much of any Duck game the past few weeks. How's he looked since recalled?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad