Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Sens

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Did I read "We should have steam rolled the Ducks" ???

Please tell me in which world I am right now, I'm completely lost.

Jeez, this PGT reads like a Habs PGT.

After a win: our players are awesome.
After a loss: SHIP 'DEM BUMS OUTTA TOWN!!!1

This board has easily become as worse as the Habs... Sad when you think of it, since one of the biggest reasons I never became a Habs fan was the stupidity of the fanbase.

I just think we sort of overachieved last year. Now people have such huge expectations for the senators. I admit, i also have huge expectations for the team. I just think we need to temper our expectations a little.

Of course, the Sens are not a top contender (only 5-6 teams probably are), they are a playoffs contender for now, just like most teams

This team is very young and inexperienced, not even close to have a roster near the cap. We are still rebuilding, in the last steps, but we are

We still need to inject guys like Stone, Ceci, Wikstrand, Prince, Puempel, Lazar, Pageau, etc in the next few years... I'm expecting bigger improvements from the team next year and I think Melnyk will be then ready to spend more to the cap... No point to do it right now, give them time to grow as hockey players

Come into this thread expecting the spezza, phillips and neil haters to be out in force like they are after every loss.

Was not disapointed

Many have their scapegoats designated. There's not much logical support behind the hate, just some natural bias. IMO, we can be happy our team doesn't suck as much as the posting on this board after a loss.

I don't think they're aware that hockey is a (team) game of mistakes. No player is perfect, they all make mistakes.

I don't think we played that bad. We were pretty even with them through the first and second periods, and dominated them in the third, just couldn't buy a goal.

If Ryan or Turris score on that one-timer, this board is singing a different tune.

We probably outchanced them too, based on the game I watched and the highlights on NHL.com. We played well enough but Karlsson's mistake was costly. Anaheim's first goal was lucky, deflection on Methot's stick although Andy wasn't in the greatest position possible.

We lacked a bit of finish, but Andersen and Anaheim's team defense were great, made the difference in the game. It's as simple as that, no need to find tons of people to blame. It's a tough league and yes it's very possible that we will lose against good teams (or even against which some people consider "bad").

And how exactly has Spezza created a mess?
You pick and choose your spots very carefully.
Im pretty sure you were the one who went head over heels to bash Methot BEFORE he ever played a game for the Senators, and now he is fine in your books. :laugh:

Don't take anything MAK says seriously, just read his comments in the old Turris threads. He makes some good posts (now at least) but this guy turns around like a girouette

Holy **** guys, cool the rhetoric. We didn't lose 15-0. We lost 2-1 in a game where both teams quite frankly sucked. The only thing separating us is that 2 of our mistakes ended up in the back of our net and only 1 of theirs ended up in their net. Lots of positive and, unfortunately, negatives to be taken away. But this whole sky is falling act after every loss is already beyond the point of tiring. It's downright stupid.

Understatement. We look like a bunch of crying 12 years old girls. This board really has to grow a pair. Hockey players call it "stay even keel", never too high, never too low.

Last edited:

John Holmes*

There are tons of NHL captains who don't regularly hit, including Alfredsson. I doubt you'd find any evidence to prove that whether your captain finishes every check or not has a significant impact on their teammates physical play.

And I'm not sure what player you've been watching, but Spezza hasn't been circling in the neutral zone while we're caught in our own end. He's been making significant efforts to get back into our zone and backcheck when the opposing forwards begin their breakout.

I understand and even agree that Spezza's defensive play hasn't been great. But you're fooling nobody by make statements about how his lack of physicality will somehow mean our young players stop hitting, and you're wrong for implying he's made no effort defensively this season.

I just pointed to one soft, lazy play that led directly to a goal against.

Alfredsson may have been a lot of things, but lazy and soft were never on his list.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
I have been a Spezza fan since he played in the OHL.

In my opinion, more should be expected from him now that he is Captain.

It's not unreasonable to expect your Captain to work hard and lead by example.

If I was Getzlaf, I would laugh at Spezza after that play.

There is a reason that he is not on team Canada's radar.

It's plays like the one I am talking about.

That's just pure laziness.
Maybe you cheat up ice if someone is challenging Getzlaf for the puck, but you don't do it when that someone is you.

Spezza's role has changed.

I hope he gets with the program sooner than later.

Wow, has a forward never made a mistake before. The guy has single handedly won us many games this season. He makes this team so much better, but its idiots like you that nit pick him, and then boooo himn at the arena.

Were you on here congratulating his effort after detroit or phoenix? Or only show up to bash him?

WhiteLight*

He looks fine for the most part. Who would you rather have on the top unit at this point?

Spezza is one the primary catalysts for our offensive production. You really have a hate on for Spezza (like most of this board). What makes you think having him out of the lineup will automatically mean a Sens victory. It's a shame that when other players can't capitalize on their scoring chances and we lose that the default person to blame is Spezza. You want to blame someone? Blame McArthur for not scoring on his chances, blame Ryan for not putting it in the net on those 2 high quality scoring chances, blame Karlsson for gift wrapping a goal.

I dunno, Cowen?

The #2 hole needs an upgrade big time, Sens won't be contenders with this defense. Unless we see major development from Cowen and Wiercioch. Not likely.

It doesn't mean an automatic victory obviously. in last night's particular game, if Spezza was not dressed, I think the Sens would have at least got a point.

I'm not blaming Spezza because he's not scoring. It's his defense. He HURTS the team.

John Holmes*

Michalek also deserves some flak for what he was doing on Maroon's goal as well.

If anyone can figure out what exactly that is.

John Holmes*

Wow, has a forward never made a mistake before. The guy has single handedly won us many games this season. He makes this team so much better, but its idiots like you that nit pick him, and then boooo himn at the arena.

Were you on here congratulating his effort after detroit or phoenix? Or only show up to bash him?

Check my posts, Columbo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

This. MAK and Holmes were pretty much invisible during those games. They only come out if they think they can bash on Spezza even though he wasn't close to responsible for this loss, and really if Michalek wasn't on the top line we'd probably have won that game with all the opportunities Spezza was creating.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
It doesn't mean an automatic victory obviously. in last night's particular game, if Spezza was not dressed, I think the Sens would have at least got a point.

I'm not blaming Spezza because he's not scoring. It's his defense. He HURTS the team.

Your suggesting the Sens are better off without Spezza? Clueless......

John Holmes*

This. MAK and Holmes were pretty much invisible during those games. They only come out if they think they can bash on Spezza even though he wasn't close to responsible for this loss, and really if Michalek wasn't on the top line we'd probably have won that game with all the opportunities Spezza was creating.

After the Detroit game:

Well he is under contract of course.

This was a solid game for the Captain.

Too bad he now has two black holes on his wing.

Now go pound sand.

WhiteLight*

Did I read "We should have steam rolled the Ducks" ???

Please tell me in which world I am right now, I'm completely lost.

This board has easily become as worse as the Habs... Sad when you think of it, since one of the biggest reasons I never became a Habs fan was the stupidity of the fanbase.

Of course, the Sens are not a top contender (only 5-6 teams probably are), they are a playoffs contender for now, just like most teams

This team is very young and inexperienced, not even close to have a roster near the cap. We are still rebuilding, in the last steps, but we are

We still need to inject guys like Stone, Ceci, Wikstrand, Prince, Puempel, Lazar, Pageau, etc in the next few years... I'm expecting bigger improvements from the team next year and I think Melnyk will be then ready to spend more to the cap... No point to do it right now, give them time to grow as hockey players

Many have their scapegoats designated. There's not much logical support behind the hate, just some natural bias. IMO, we can be happy our team doesn't suck as much as the posting on this board after a loss.

I don't think they're aware that hockey is a (team) game of mistakes. No player is perfect, they all make mistakes.

We probably outchanced them too, based on the game I watched and the highlights on NHL.com. We played well enough but Karlsson's mistake was costly. Anaheim's first goal was lucky, deflection on Methot's stick although Andy wasn't in the greatest position possible.

We lacked a bit of finish, but Andersen and Anaheim's team defense were great, made the difference in the game. It's as simple as that, no need to find tons of people to blame. It's a tough league and yes it's very possible that we will lose against good teams (or even against which some people consider "bad").

Don't take anything MAK says seriously, just read his comments in the old Turris threads. He makes some good posts (now at least) but this guy turns around like a girouette

Understatement. We look like a bunch of crying 12 years old girls. This board really has to grow a pair. Hockey players call it "stay even keel", never too high, never too low.

So you're just OK with mediocrity? You'd just be OK with the Sens floating along, making the playoffs here and there, but that would be OK because your expectations aren't high?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I dunno, Cowen?

The #2 hole needs an upgrade big time, Sens won't be contenders with this defense. Unless we see major development from Cowen and Wiercioch. Not likely.

Wait... You're saying that Cowen and Wiercioch with their whooping 158 NHL games are done developing?

Or if you're talking only about this year, I didn't know we were going to be a force in the NHL and steamroll our opponents... If you look at the shape of things, I'd say it's a work in progress.

So you're just OK with mediocrity? You'd just be OK with the Sens floating along, making the playoffs here and there, but that would be OK because your expectations aren't high?

I'm okay with progression and patience

For now, my expectations are moderated. I'm hoping to make the playoffs and then go from there. Every playoff round win would be a bonus, like it was last year.

You seem to be the perfect candidate to become an Oliers fans. You are made for that team.

WhiteLight*

Your suggesting the Sens are better off without Spezza? Clueless......

In some games, definitely.

In general, he does have a positive impact. Is that positive impact worthy of $7M dollars? Is that positive impact worthy of the captaincy? Is that positive impact worthy of being a #1 forward on a team?

NO.

I've said before and I'll say it again, this team isn't going anywhere if Jason Spezza is the #1 forward on the team.

WhiteLight*

Wait... You're saying that Cowen and Wiercioch with their whooping 158 NHL games are done developing?

Or if you're talking only about this year, I didn't know we were going to be a force in the NHL and steamroll our opponents... If you look at the shape of things, I'd say it's a work in progress.

They're not done developing. Yes I was mostly talking about this year. But Cowen and/or Wiercioch developing into a #2 is anything but guaranteed. It's still a question mark long term.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
I dunno, Cowen?

620 games, 631 points and a +88 with the Ottawa Senators

OUCH...... "He HURTS the team" :shakehead :help:

WhiteLight*

I'm okay with progression and patience

For now, my expectations are moderated. I'm hoping to make the playoffs and then go from there. Every playoff round win would be a bonus, like it was last year.

At what does the team need to take a step forward? You can't just stay at the same level indefinitely.

You seem to be the perfect candidate to become an Oliers fans. You are made for that team.

?

Come again?

I have a ''hate'' for one dimensional forwards like Spezza and a love for two-way beasts like Turris.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
In some games, definitely.

In general, he does have a positive impact. Is that positive impact worthy of $7M dollars? Is that positive impact worthy of the captaincy? Is that positive impact worthy of being a #1 forward on a team?

NO.

I've said before and I'll say it again, this team isn't going anywhere if Jason Spezza is the #1 forward on the team.

Whats your soluition? Im pretty sure crosby, toews, getzlaf, etc are not exactly available.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I dunno, Cowen?

In my recent memory the only time I remember Spezza hurting the team (directly leading to a goal) is the game vs the Penguins in the playoffs, other than that I can't recall any other sequence of events that directly hurt us. Do you?

WhiteLight*

In my recent memory the only time I remember Spezza hurting the team (directly leading to a goal) is the game vs the Penguins in the playoffs, other than that I can't recall any other sequence of events that directly hurt us. Do you?

Many times this seasons Spezza has neglected his defensive responsibilities. How many games has he been -2 or -3? A lot. No one is close to giving up the amount of goals he does.

He's had issues in almost every game, including last night. Remember the Oilers game?

Turris is not a #1 centre

Zibanejad?

A 1A-1B scenario with 2 60 point two-way centres would be nice.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Im with MAK.

Spezza's playing style does not win.

Spezza is not a winner.

1340690419490.gif

WhiteLight*

Every single team in the nhl would have spezza on their team....... Ill take the opinions of NHL GM's over yours

Oh I would take him... under 2 conditions:
1-He's not the #1 forward on the team. There's someone better than him.
2-The team has some reliable defensive forwards and all Spezza has to do is play an offensive role.

Matching him up vs Getzlaf is just asking for trouble.

Thanks Benny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad