Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Ryan Getzlaf (1 year, $3M, +$1.5M GP bonus)

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Unfortunately in my company they tend to think that way. But they have issues to find qualified people, so they moved away from it. At least for now.
Might be sample bias on my end (and I do recognize HR tends not to have as much power to these things), but when it comes to family businesses which are arguably closer to how the Ducks run things as opposed to big corporate, they tend to have significantly more loyalty and don't want to burn bridges, especially with legacy / retiring employees.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Hate that you have to hear this on a hockey forum but that says waaaay more about you as a boss than an employee looking into other options in their career.

Not really...people are free to look as they please...but if that employee made it known they were looking, that's where the line has been crossed in my opinion. I'm very loyal to my employees and have a very low turn over rate to show they love working for me. There's nothing wrong with expecting the same type of loyalty back. If they're unhappy about the terms they have, I'd expect them to bring their concern to me opposed to making it known they were going to look elsewhere since they're not getting what they want. I hope you can see the difference.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
That's him showing loyalty to the Ducks for years and years and the Ducks finally showing a small amount back. He could have not re-signed with us and made more money in a better place but didn't.

Agree to disagree then...You see it as loyalty just because he resigned with them and I see it as a lack of loyalty for how he went about it.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
So you sack an employee, that has an offer and asks for a raise, no matter what the value of the employee is? Holy shit. Glad I'm here in the communistic part of the world.
LOL, some of you love to twist words. There's a difference in asking for a raise versus saying you're going to look elsewhere because you're not getting what you want.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
LOL, some of you love to twist words. There's a difference in asking for a raise versus saying you're going to look elsewhere because you're not getting what you want.

i said, getting an offer and asking for a raise, which implies considering the offer.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Listening to him on Sirius, I don't think he was ever leaving. Said he would've liked to get it done a while ago and more than anything seemed to just enjoy the FA process that he's never experienced rather than taking more serious looks at leaving.

Maybe I’m projecting here but with the amount he’s talking about the free agent process I’m wondering if he’s trying to learn about that end to gain experience for a potential GM or front office position later on.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
The guy has played his balls off for this franchise for 16 years, was a huge part in bringing a SC here, has put his body on the line consistently for this team including breaking his face multiple times and you’re questioning his loyalty?
Yes, I sure am questioning it...he "played his balls off" because he was under contract. It was his obligation to do so. It's not like he did it for free. Asking for a certain amount of money is cool...saying you're going to test free agency because you want more money, is where I question his loyalty. You all are conveniently ignoring that part of my rationale.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Listening to him on Sirius, I don't think he was ever leaving. Said he would've liked to get it done a while ago and more than anything seemed to just enjoy the FA process that he's never experienced rather than taking more serious looks at leaving.
Yeah that's what I got. He's basically a guy who got married in his teens and had some fun thinking about another woman for a bit.

Reactions: Duck Off

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Players take discounts to stay with certain teams. Especially players that are in their last years. I'm not saying he should've taken whatever was offered, but to play the "test the market" game screams lack of loyalty to me. It's my opinion, of course, but in the business world, if one of my employees told me they were searching to see what else is out there, you better believe they'd no longer be working for me.

ay big dawg.

delete this.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
ay big dawg.

delete this.
Why would I? I have the right to my opinion as all of you do. I just place more value in the player that works with the team, internally, to get a fair contract rather than using the market as a means to get there. There are plenty of those players who have done that in their later years and I would have expected the same from Getzlaf.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Soooo, in a topic regarding Getzlaf and being worth $X etc., is it only my feeling that he has enough left in the tank to be a significantly better player than what his stat line in 2020-21 read?

Not saying that he was throwing games / not trying very hard as I feel he has more heart, respect and honor than that. Perhaps he was respecting the rebuild process? Also, teammates being almost replacement level w/ scoring being incredibly difficult to come by plays a huge role in his perceived value.

Sure, he's more injury prone these days, and perhaps he's slowing down further than his generally slow speed even in his prime, but when he's on, his vision is still elite and the guy is just so difficult to knock off the puck...he still wins puck battles; the guy's a beast.

So maybe it's just me, but I feel he has 2C equivalent production in him if he has teammates up to the task.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Good advice...

Seems you're not allowed to have an opinion that differs from others or else you get told how horrible of a person you are.

Wish the mods were more on top of that nonsense.
While I didn't agree with ur opinion on the thread topic i'm not gonna start a fight over it.
I'm just glad we got Getzlaf back regardless of the price so he can reach his milestones here.
I'd pay even 6mil for 1 year of Getzlaf because i want to see him reach the milestones here.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Soooo, in a topic regarding Getzlaf and being worth $X etc., is it only my feeling that he has enough left in the tank to be a significantly better player than what his stat line in 2020-21 read?

Not saying that he was throwing games / not trying very hard as I feel he has more heart, respect and honor than that. Perhaps he was respecting the rebuild process? Also, teammates being almost replacement level w/ scoring being incredibly difficult to come by plays a huge role in his perceived value.

Sure, he's more injury prone these days, and perhaps he's slowing down further than his generally slow speed even in his prime, but when he's on, his vision is still elite and the guy is just so difficult to knock off the puck...he still wins puck battles; the guy's a beast.

So maybe it's just me, but I feel he has 2C equivalent production in him if he has teammates up to the task.
I think he has plenty left in the tank and I think there's something to be said for your theory, given how he's talked about how much he hated this past season, with no fans and being terrible. That said, we're not going to be much less terrible next year, so it would seem. So I wonder.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

One thing he mentioned on Sirius was that he hates the word rebuilding and thinks it's been used an as excuse in terms of effort and complacency. So hopefully there's more of a push to keep guys honest.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
He also reiterated his desire to finish his career with Anaheim as his only team. Sounded like he wasn't really prepared to thinking about moving on last deadline and now. And as he started to think about the possibilities and now teams calling it, it was intriguing but still at the end of the day Anaheim was and is his home and where he feels like he belongs

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I think Getz is gone at the deadline. It’d be way easier on his family and this way if he wants to play in Canada he would avoid the harsh winter. The guy hasn’t lived up here for so long that I doubt he could handle it now lol

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Thank you for taking the time to see my point rather than taking it completely out of context as so many did.

You final synopsis is exactly what my point was. I took him using the market as a slap in the face versus him sitting down with Murray and letting him know that he really wanted to remain a Duck and presenting the number that it took for him to sign.
An important tenet of the free market system is that whoever has the leverage is FREE to use it. In this situation Getzlaf probably got an offer from someone, went to the Ducks with that amount, and they chose to beat it. Neither party here was coerced into anything. Your loyalty angle is sort of unrealistic-this is professional hockey. It's not like teams are always loyal to veteran players. It's simply business.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Maybe I’m projecting here but with the amount he’s talking about the free agent process I’m wondering if he’s trying to learn about that end to gain experience for a potential GM or front office position later on.
Probably a little bit of a projection, but I think you're sort of onto something, as it does appear that this played somewhat of a role in the process.

Ryan Getzlaf and the Ducks find a fit and reunite for one year, but is Jack Eichel still a possibility?

“I’ve just never gone through it,” Getzlaf said in a conference call. “I’ve never had other teams pursuing me. It was a great feeling. I’m not going to lie. It was a good feeling to be able to talk (to teams). For me, it was more understanding what other players go through. There’s a lot of players that go through this many times in their career. And I think it gave me a better understanding of what it’s like. Same as the trade deadline this year. I’ve never really went through anything like that.

“It was another way where I can look back on something and either use it my future or help others in their future. Ultimately, the experience was a good one.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad