Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Ryan Getzlaf (1 year, $3M, +$1.5M GP bonus)

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Which one of you dummies is this

First time I saw this guy was his reaction to signing Gibson. Dude was writhing around in dispair and throwing quite the tantrum. Haven't watched since.

See him on Twitter every once in a while and it's equally cringe every time.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
First time I saw this guy was his reaction to signing Gibson. Dude was writhing around in dispair and throwing quite the tantrum. Haven't watched since.

See him on Twitter every once in a while and it's equally cringe every time.

I'm wildly unsure if I wanna wade into Ducks Twitter or not. I expect it's just full of grognards and dummies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Can't believe I even gave this video a click. Terrible. What an idiot. His 4.5 million couldn't impact us less
I think he posts on here under various accounts over the years. The most recent incarnation was complaining about Getz.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I think he posts on here under various accounts over the years. The most recent incarnation was complaining about Getz.

I made the mistake of engaging, he acknowledged all my points were "great points" most notably that the past half decade he's only ever played with whatever bob scraped from the bottom of the barrel and still put up the most points on the team(sans the last two years) but then ultimately said Getzlaf was a problem we refused to move on from. Just wild.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I made the mistake of engaging, he acknowledged all my points were "great points" most notably that the past half decade he's only ever played with whatever bob scraped from the bottom of the barrel and still put up the most points on the team(sans the last two years) but then ultimately said Getzlaf was a problem we refused to move on from. Just wild.
I used to get really into arguing at people like him but i'm getting old and i've seen it all over again enough times to know its a waste of time
because then another one like him pops up later.
Its like when you see a crazy old man yelling at the sky its best to just keep walking by and act like you didn't see anything:
hqdefault.jpg

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I used to get really into arguing at people like him but i'm getting old and i've seen it all over again enough times to know its a waste of time
because then another one like him pops up later.
Its like when you see a crazy old man yelling at the sky its best to just keep walking by and act like you didn't see anything:
hqdefault.jpg

I know better but I just cannot stop engaging. I should have walked away from the video and gave it the thumbs down instead I told him it wasn't too late to delete the video

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
While I don't agree with everything this guy has said there were some legitimate pros to letting Getzlaf walk. 1) transfer if leadership. Forces someone to take iver the team instead if deferring to Getzlaf. Pretty sure even Getzlaf has stated this is an issue. No one is stepping up to take his mantle. 2) roster position. We have too many centers. Yes we can move players to the wing and maybe we should. 3) I'm assuming the cap issue is likely related to the supposed budget comments made by BM and Stephens. We're not spending to the cap. If you assume our budget is closer to 70 mill than 80 then our cap space fron 22 to around 11 and that is almost half our space. 4) play style. I cant confirm this with numbers but we seem to play differently when he's out if the lineup. I don't know what it is but it is something I and my friends/family have all noticed over the past few years. Do I think he hurts the team? Probably not. Would I have been upset if he left? Not really.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
While I don't agree with everything this guy has said there were some legitimate pros to letting Getzlaf walk. 1) transfer if leadership. Forces someone to take iver the team instead if deferring to Getzlaf. Pretty sure even Getzlaf has stated this is an issue. No one is stepping up to take his mantle. 2) roster position. We have too many centers. Yes we can move players to the wing and maybe we should. 3) I'm assuming the cap issue is likely related to the supposed budget comments made by BM and Stephens. We're not spending to the cap. If you assume our budget is closer to 70 mill than 80 then our cap space fron 22 to around 11 and that is almost half our space. 4) play style. I cant confirm this with numbers but we seem to play differently when he's out if the lineup. I don't know what it is but it is something I and my friends/family have all noticed over the past few years. Do I think he hurts the team? Probably not. Would I have been upset if he left? Not really.

A couple more years of Getz and then Zegras takes over as a young captain. He's a natural leader

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
A couple more years of Getz and then Zegras takes over as a young captain. He's a natural leader
I could really see that happening. Would that make him the youngest captain in franchise history?

Off the top of my head, I think he would be the youngest by at least a few years.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I actually don't see Zegras as the next captain. If Manson sticks around and signs an extension, I think it'll be him. After that, I could see it being McTavish. BM raved about his ability to "drive the bus" during the Under 18's.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
This is right. Getz is the next youngest at I think 25 or 26. So if Zegras is the next captain, he has a shot at being the youngest, certainly the second-youngest.

I don't think Zegas is gonna be the next. I genuinely think it'll be fowler. He's been getting groomed for it for years. Whether or not he steps up is another topic.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I actually don't see Zegras as the next captain. If Manson sticks around and signs an extension, I think it'll be him. After that, I could see it being McTavish. BM raved about his ability to "drive the bus" during the Under 18's.
While I would be very interested to see how Zegras is as a captain because he has this "fire" that's been missing from the team for a couple of years, I would imagine Manson takes over as captain if he isn't traded, before Zegras gets the reins.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think that we do the ceremonial year without a captain after Getz and then we see who steps up. But I really think it's Zegras. The last game of the year, when this team had every right to have packed it in months ago he was clearly the leader and catalyst to us coming back and forcing OT. The guy impressed the hell out of me that game, and the way he's always talking on the ice and getting guys fired up, I really think it's him.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Throwing in my hat for Drysdale to eventually take over as captain. It's premature but I just get the sense of quiet leader from him, a la Niedermayer. I could see the scenario where we roll three A's for a year or two and then he takes over.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad