Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Ryan Getzlaf (1 year, $3M, +$1.5M GP bonus)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Zegras and Drysdale, whoever wears the C and the A, seem like they can be good compliments to each other as leaders. Z seems like the guy that can fire up the room and Dry can be a calming presence.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras and Drysdale, whoever wears the C and the A, seem like they can be good compliments to each other as leaders. Z seems like the guy that can fire up the room and Dry can be a calming presence.
Lindholm in between.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sorry, didn't mean to imply right away. I'm talking when they're ready, probably around when this team starts becoming a contender again.
Oh ya I def see zegras as a leader type… but I feel like he is more of a A than a C

Reactions: lwvs84

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Agreed… lindholm works hard, and seems to be 1 if the few players that hates to lose. I think he’s best choice

I’m b4 people start crying about him having injuries
Even then the injuries are more like musical chairs with Lindholm, Manson and Fowler. Always at least one of them will miss alot of games.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Oh ya I def see zegras as a leader type… but I feel like he is more of a A than a C
Yeah Zegras is like Selanne in that he's a fun cool guy that is very marketable and more of an alternate than captain.

Being vocal does not automatically mean to be a leader.
If there is one common thing captains this team has had in common the past 15 years is their Mental toughness and unwavering confidence. Sets the example for players on the team in terms of work ethic and other things.

Niedermayer/Getzlaf are that. Niedermayer was mentally tough and quite confident in such a calming way.
Doesn't need to be big physical guy.
Now the guy who shows those qualities outside of Getzlaf is Manson, Lindholm and Silf.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Getzlaf was never a work ethic maniac. Nor was he a guy that put in everything every game. In the first years he was a very mediocre captain. The last years he came around but he is no Yzerman or Sakic. To me, Kesler was the better leader than Getzlaf.

I totally agree with Manson, Lindholm and Silfverberg. Lindholm is my choice, he is just a guy that leads by example. Lindholm got praised by Kesler in his first year here. That says a lot.

Last edited:

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
As much as I like Fowler, I would say I also don't think he's the best choice due to his passivity (not just play but his personality).

I personally wouldn't want Lindholm or Manson...Lindholm partially due to his recent history of injury (why have a captain if he's not in half the games?), and Manson due to his questionable effectiveness as a player as he continues to age...sure he's got toughness (and also injuries like Lindholm), but I don't see that as being the defining characteristic of being a good captain. More on Lindholm, yes when he's on his game it feels like he's more captain material than some, but he's never stood out to me to be that guy.

People wanted Silf gone. Don't know why he was even thrown out there. Very mediocre play this last year and I wonder if he's already falling off...never been a fast guy and he just feels like a strong 3rd liner kind of role player.

Zegras has strong personality and in some ways would make a good captain, but I'd like him to be tested more before even being considered...and his other part of his personality, the happy-go-lucky type, is maybe less captain material.

Drysdale could potentially be in a couple of years depending on how well he establishes himself. From what I've seen, quite mature in attitude and play for his age. Maybe McTavish could be as well but it's way too early to consider him.

IMO, best to keep Getzy on as captain for this year and at least one more if he continues being willing to play, and we'll have a better idea of who should be the next captain by then.

Reactions: Boo Boo

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Agreed… lindholm works hard, and seems to be 1 if the few players that hates to lose. I think he’s best choice

I’m b4 people start crying about him having injuries
Lindholm wearing a letter might also give us a better chance of re-signing him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The best solution IMO is once Getzy hangs them up roll 3 As until someone steps up and earns the C. That buys at least another year and by then we will know better what we have in Zegras/Drysdale etc - they will be entering their 4th pro seasons by then.

But if they do opt to replace Getzy as C straight away if Hampus stays and can stay in the lineup he would be my choice. I’m nearly sure the current management regime views Fowler as the next choice though.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The best solution IMO is once Getzy hangs them up roll 3 As until someone steps up and earns the C. That buys at least another year and by then we will know better what we have in Zegras/Drysdale etc - they will be entering their 4th pro seasons by then.

But if they do opt to replace Getzy as C straight away if Hampus stays and can stay in the lineup he would be my choice. I’m nearly sure the current management regime views Fowler as the next choice though.

Why would you be nearly sure of that when he isn't even an alternate captain? A few years ago it looked like it but considering they've given A's to two other guys since Perry and Kesler left, I really doubt they do anymore.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I'd imagine probably the most important factor for captaincy is how they lead in the room as well as on and off the ice among each other and management and coaching. And frankly we don't know much about that, only what they show on camera and on ice. "A" is probably a good indication though.

But of course it's that part of the off-season so it's fun to speculate.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad