Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ahhh... Thanks.

Did some digging and found this from nhl.com:

Other players may be signed to contracts but returned to the player’s junior club – most often this takes place between an NHL club and Canadian Major Junior teams (teams that play in the Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, or Western Hockey League, collectively the CHL). But 18 and 19-year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract maximum, until they have played at least 11 NHL games in one season.​

I don't know if there's a special rule for European players. For NCAA players, once they're signed they are no longer eligible to play for the NCAA, but I don't know much else after that.

We currently have four slide candidates:
Zegras (signed from NCAA)
Tracey (signed from CHL)
Drysdale (signed from CHL)
Perreault (signed from CHL)​

Tracey, Drysdale, and Perreault can be exempted from the contracts list if they do not play 11 NHL games. This helps me understand why GM Murray wasn't concerned about Comtois reaching the 10-game threshold in 2018-19 season, but the 11th game as Comtois would be a part of the NHL team in 2018-19 as his first NHL year. That would subject Comtois to the Seattle XD because Comtois would be under an NHL contract for three seasons after the 2020-2021 season. Comtois lost his slide rule exemption by playing 10 games, but did not count towards an NHL contract season because he did not play 11 NHL games. Here's a quote from another nhl.com article: "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits."

As for Zegras' contract, I don't know if he does or doesn't count already because Zegras doesn't belong to any CHL team and cannot return to the NCAA. His options are NHL, AHL, or get loaned across the pond. I guess once Zegras plays 10-NHL games, then his contract becomes an NHL contract that counts against the 50-player contract limit as well as lose his slide exemption.

We're currently at 49/50 NHL contracts as per capfriendly. We technically have four candidates whose contract do not count against the 50-player NHL contract at this moment. Potentially, we could have 45/50 NHL contracts, assuming Zegras doesn't count until he plays his 10th NHL game. If all three CHL players are returned and Zegras does play at least 10 NHL games, then we would be at 46/50 NHL contracts.

So assuming that Zegras doesn't play 10 NHL games this year, the Ducks are at 46 NHL contracts (Drysdale, Perrault, Tracey and Zegras exempted). Note that Tracey was already not included in the 49 contracts.

I don't think you have it quite right on Comtois. Capfriendly lists him as exempt in their Seattle expansion draft simulator tool. My understanding is that by playing 11 games he is a year closer to UFA status.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Trevor Zegras has been trying to stay occupied, while waiting for his opportunity to make Anaheim's roster out of training camp.

"Within the protocols put in place by the NHL, he’s supervised by the people over at Great Park," said director of player development Todd Marchant. "For all accounts, he’s doing the work that he has to do and hopefully, he’s utilizing the time as best as he can. A lot of times with these players, it just takes time for their bodies to mature." Zegras hasn’t played a game since March 7 and signed with the Ducks on March 27. Anaheim has been working with him to increase his strength and improve his skating. Zegras, who was chosen ninth overall in the 2019 NHL Draft, had 11 goals and 36 points in 33 matches with Boston University during his freshman season in 2019-20.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So assuming that Zegras doesn't play 10 NHL games this year, the Ducks are at 46 NHL contracts (Drysdale, Perrault, Tracey and Zegras exempted). Note that Tracey was already not included in the 49 contracts.

I don't think you have it quite right on Comtois. Capfriendly lists him as exempt in their Seattle expansion draft simulator tool. My understanding is that by playing 11 games he is a year closer to UFA status.

Heh... Cap Friendly updated their site and we're at 47/50 now. The exemptions are Tracey, Drysdale, and Perreault. Zegras is not exempt. (Just relaying what I saw.)

As for Comtois, I believe you're confusing slide rule with an NHL-contract that counts against NHL 50-man contract maximum as per the agreement between the NHL and CHL. Here's what I wrote previously:

But 18 and 19-year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract maximum, until they have played at least 11 NHL games in one season.

This helps me understand why GM Murray wasn't concerned about Comtois reaching the 10-game threshold in 2018-19 season, but the 11th game as Comtois would be a part of the NHL team in 2018-19 as his first NHL year. That would subject Comtois to the Seattle XD because Comtois would be under an NHL contract for three seasons after the 2020-2021 season. Comtois lost his slide rule exemption by playing 10 games, but did not count towards an NHL contract season because he did not play 11 NHL games. Here's a quote from another nhl.com article: "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits."

Slide Rule: In 2018, Comtois played only 10 NHL games. He lost his slide rule by playing 10 games, which initiated his three-year ELC.

2018-19: Year 1 contract initiated due to 10 NHL games played
2019-20: Year 2 contract
2020-21: Year 3 contract and end of ELC
2021-22: RFA​

By playing 10 games, Comtois is a year closer to his RFA. Does this mean Comtois is considered a 3rd-year NHL player? No, due to the NHL-CHL agreement that 11 games triggers an NHL contract that counts against the NHL 50-man contract maximum.

NHL 50-man contract: Although Comtois did lose his slide rule exemption, he didn't trigger having an NHL contract that counts against the NHL 50-man contract max in 2018-19 season because he didn't play that 11th game.

2018-19: 10 NHL games played; not counted against the NHL 50-man contract maximum
2019-20: 1st year of NHL
2020-21: 2nd year of NHL
June 2021: Seattle expansion draft​

Notice that Comtois' ELC started in 2018-19, but he did not count against the NHL 50-man contract.

Comtois is listed as a 2nd-year NHL player because his NHL contract did not count against the NHL 50-man contract max until 2019-20. Thus, he is exempt from the expansion draft. That's what GM Murray was talking about in 2018-19 season with Comtois. Murray didn't care about Comtois' 10th game. Murray was focused on Comtois' 11th game in 2018-19, which Comtois never reached and prevented Comtois from being exposed to the Seattle expansion draft. I didn't know about that CHL-NHL agreement until recently.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Hockey News' Ryan Kennedy released his top-100 NCAA players to watch. We have a few on there.

17. D LaCombe (I dunno why he's rated below fellow defenseman Ryan Johnson at 15th.)
42. RW Colangelo
62. C Janicke
70. LW McLaughlin
86. G Metcalf​

I think I recognized all the Ducks in the NCAA. Add any you think I missed.

Kennedy also released his top-40 USHL players to watch.

13. D Thrun
21. D Moore​

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Looks like Drew was on the ice for almost every goal scored in this game

Nice, thank you.

His skating stride is awkward and requires cleaning up. The ice there is larger than in NA though, it's fair to point out. But he had some great strides on his 4th goal though.

But one thing for sure - he has a naaaasty wrister. There's a lot of power there and in that game he was hitting the right spot with it.
Not sure how much he is able to get the regular shots through though. He had some space to shoot in that game.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Looks like Drew was on the ice for almost every goal scored in this game

hmmm...being completely objective here, none of his goals would have beaten a competent NHL goalie except maybe his one-timer off the cross-ice pass. Good for him though...not too many players who get paid professionally ever score 4 goals in a game.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad