Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Allsvenkan is a really good league, it isn’t that much worse than the AHL. It’s not like the NA leagues where there is clear separation between leagues with teams using their AHL affiliate as a development team.
I wonder what makes you say that? I'm honestly curious. My gut feeling would be that Allsvenskan is clearly below AHL level. All I really have for support are some statistical point translations between other leagues to NHL and I think Allsvenskan has always been clearly below AHL in those lists. Of course those stats aren't the best way to asses the level of play in different leagues, but it does give an idea. I also have to admit that I haven't had the time in the past couple of years to follow the hockey stats guys anymore so I'm not sure how they currently are, but would imagine they haven't dramatically changed.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wonder what makes you say that? I'm honestly curious. My gut feeling would be that Allsvenskan is clearly below AHL level. All I really have for support are some statistical point translations between other leagues to NHL and I think Allsvenskan has always been clearly below AHL in those lists. Of course those stats aren't the best way to asses the level of play in different leagues, but it does give an idea. I also have to admit that I haven't had the time in the past couple of years to follow the hockey stats guys anymore so I'm not sure how they currently are, but would imagine they haven't dramatically changed.

I’ve just gone through all the translation lists I could find and can’t find any that even list Allsvenkan but I swear last time I did see it listed it was below the AHL but much closer to the AHL than the SHL.

The biggest difference for me is the fact the the Allsvenkan isn’t a farm league for the SHL, teams are relegated and promoted between leagues every year and the teams that come up are often pretty competitive. Although admittedly I haven’t paid as much attention to the Swedish leagues the past few years, maybe someone who follows them more closely can chime in?

Reactions: Vipers31

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Scott Wheeler, from The Athletic, just released an article projecting the WJC rosters (for five teams; Canada, US, Sweden, Finland, and Russia): World junior 2021 roster projections. Scott Wheeler picks the teams and medals

Ducks prospects he selected:
  • Canada: Drysdale
  • US: Zegras, Thrun (who he has on the top pair), and Lacombe
  • Sweden: Sundsvik

I need to settle down my hype for Thrun because I'm at a 10 right now.
The right side looked like such a weakness 12 months ago. Now it looks like it could be a strength with Drysdale, Thrun, and Lacombe.

Side note, it would have been funny if we had gotten Sanderson because half the US defense would have been Ducks prospects.

Reactions: LuckyDucky

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I need to settle down my hype for Thrun because I'm at a 10 right now.
The right side looked like such a weakness 12 months ago. Now it looks like it could be a strength with Drysdale, Thrun, and Lacombe.

Side note, it would have been funny if we had gotten Sanderson because half the US defense would have been Ducks prospects.

Thrun and LaCombe play the left side.

Aside from Drysdale (as you mentioned), Ducks only added Ian Moore and Thimo Nickl to the right side (as 3rd and 4th rounders). It's obviously too early to tell, but it's likely neither will be impact players in the NHL.

After Drysdale, the right side is still very thin.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Aside from Drysdale (as you mentioned), Ducks only added Ian Moore and Thimo Nickl to the right side (as 3rd and 4th rounders). It's obviously too early to tell, but it's likely neither will be impact players in the NHL.

Hmm seems I was just super wrong. I thought LaCombe was a righty and Thrun played his off side. Based on Harvard lineups last year that's wrong though.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Hmm seems I was just super wrong. I thought LaCombe was a righty and Thrun played his off side. Based on Harvard lineups last year that's wrong though.
Lacombe is a lefty but likes to play the right side

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

We did get RHD Axel Andersson in the Kase trade. Axel was a 2nd rounder, 57th overall, in the 2018 draft. He's AHL bound once the season starts up. Yet, we are still thin at the moment in our system. If Seattle doesn't pick up Shattenkirk in the XD and we give Manson an extension, then we are kinda set for long minute on the right side. By the time Shattenkirk's time is up, Thrun and Lacombe should be making their way to the AHL/NHL.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Wheeler has, both, Thrun and Lacombe on the right side, so you’re not totally off. Lacombe has played on the right a decent amount, too. That said, he did mention that he has them playing on their offside, though, because the US is weak on that side.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Allsvenkan is a really good league, it isn’t that much worse than the AHL. It’s not like the NA leagues where there is clear separation between leagues with teams using their AHL affiliate as a development team.
Yup, SHL/Allsvenskan isn't like NHL/AHL in talent drop. European leagues mostly use a relegation system. Meaning the top Allsvenskan leagues are as good if not better than worst SHL teams.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Really looking forward to see Sundsvik against his age group. I think he has looked decent in the SHL. His role reminds something of Grant actually :laugh: Large frame, PK a lot and can create some dangerous chances here and there.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if this has been posted before but Youtube channel Scouching did a recap for Ducks 2020 draft picks and here's the video.

Pretty fair overall although I don't think the Ducks drafted Colangelo with the expectation that he will be a bottom six winger. I think that is his floor. His potential upside is pretty massive IMO.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Pretty fair overall although I don't think the Ducks drafted Colangelo with the expectation that he will be a bottom six winger. I think that is his floor. His potential upside is pretty massive IMO.
Yep I agree. It looks like we took 2 massive swings to get a 1RW.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Yes, I don't think we should expect Colangelo to be bottom 6 player. From all that I read is that his strengths lie in his offensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad