Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Hockey Canada released their camp roster but now appear to have deleted it. Tracey wasn't on it.

Edit: Its back up now, still no Tracey
Not surprising. I need to see a lot more from him before I'd consider him a legit prospect. Guess Team Canada feels the same.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's surprising due to the fact that he has a strong U18 tournament under his belt.

Hopefully this will light a fire under Tracey and help him start off in dominant fashion whenever they return to play. Not making the summer camp does not mean he can't play his way back into the mix.

Reactions: Kalv and Getz2noone

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Zegras, Thrun, and LaCombe all invited to WJC summer camp. It runs from July 24 to August 1, and unlike previous years, Canada, Sweden, and Finland will not be there to play exhibition games, for obvious reasons.

I forgot Zegras is eligible another year. He should dominate this year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think good chance that all three US guys make it, would be fun to watch.

Regarding Tracey - yes, he did not look that good past year. Some flashes here and there, but certainly didn't live up to his draft position. Like Heusy said - he can still make it, but obviously will have to go against the grain.

Well, 16 year old Wright got picked, he has 4 WJC eligible years in front of him. He had better PPG in the OHL than Tracey at WHL.
Will have to go through that list but I think all might have better PPG than Tracey.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If Tracey not getting selected because of the overall PPG stat, then it's a weak standard. With Moose Jaw to begin the season, Tracey's PPG was higher than his rookie of the year PPG rate. Victoria traded for Tracey because they needed offense, but their scheme is a defensive team first which is different from Moose Jaw. That context isn't taken into account due to the fact that most on this thread is pointing to Tracey's PPG production only. The trade dropped Tracey's PPG rate, but Tracey own the highest PPG rate on Victoria at the end of the season.

As @Huesy_79 pointed out, Tracey had a strong U18 while looked at initially as a simple bottom feed guy. With other offensively talented players around him, Tracey produces. When Moose Jaw lost its two offensive overagers, Terry produced at a higher rate. Going to Victoria is where the PPG rate was an anomaly compared to Tracey's usual production - still, Tracey was the top scorer for Victoria.

I think going to Victoria was a blessing in disguise for us Duck fans because Tracey is learning to play within a defensive system starved on offense. This move probably improves his chances of being an NHL player because if you can't score, then what else can you bring?

Starting off with Victoria on the same footing with everyone else may give us a different result because now he's on the same mindset, same page, and isn't dropped into a locker room where he's supposed to be the offensive man without earning it in the eyes of his peers.

Hopefully, our org calls Tracey to not to worry and keep doing what he's doing because they like his progress. Not getting selected to participate with the WJC summer camp is a set back, but it's also akin to the Ducks selecting him in the first round because most pundits had him in the middle of the 2nd round. Our org believes it knows better. Let's hope that's true.

Reactions: Masch78

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If Tracey not getting selected because of the overall PPG stat, then it's a weak standard. With Moose Jaw to begin the season, Tracey's PPG was higher than his rookie of the year PPG rate. Victoria traded for Tracey because they needed offense, but their scheme is a defensive team first which is different from Moose Jaw. That context isn't taken into account due to the fact that most on this thread is pointing to Tracey's PPG production only. The trade dropped Tracey's PPG rate, but Tracey own the highest PPG rate on Victoria at the end of the season.

As @Huesy_79 pointed out, Tracey had a strong U18 while looked at initially as a simple bottom feed guy. With other offensively talented players around him, Tracey produces. When Moose Jaw lost its two offensive overagers, Terry produced at a higher rate. Going to Victoria is where the PPG rate was an anomaly compared to Tracey's usual production - still, Tracey was the top scorer for Victoria.

I think going to Victoria was a blessing in disguise for us Duck fans because Tracey is learning to play within a defensive system starved on offense. This move probably improves his chances of being an NHL player because if you can't score, then what else can you bring?

Starting off with Victoria on the same footing with everyone else may give us a different result because now he's on the same mindset, same page, and isn't dropped into a locker room where he's supposed to be the offensive man without earning it in the eyes of his peers.

Hopefully, our org calls Tracey to not to worry and keep doing what he's doing because they like his progress. Not getting selected to participate with the WJC summer camp is a set back, but it's also akin to the Ducks selecting him in the first round because most pundits had him in the middle of the 2nd round. Our org believes it knows better. Let's hope that's true.
I was just comparing the PPG stats, it's a speculation at best from my part.
But - not that Tracey is a two way force, so the PPG does bring some weight.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think that's how others probably also judged Tracey with PPG stats, but not differentiating them between Moose Jaw (1.35 ppg) and Victoria (0.95 ppg). Tracey's rookie season rate was 1.22 ppg. If PPG does bring some weight, then why isn't his Moose Jaw time being bandied about more?

Tracey's PPG wasn't a step backwards until he was traded to the defensive minded Royals. I don't think Tracey needs to prove something that he was dissed, but maybe be encouraged for being in a defensive system and still leading the team in PPG. But being on the Royals maybe helps Tracey develop that two-way force because it's a defensive system/team. The Royals actually had Tracey playing center. There's a lot to know about Tracey, but only Duck fans would care about that nuance. Team Canada can simply look at the PPG rates and find a slew of candidates that rate higher than Tracey. Which is probably what they did. Can't blame them if they're scouring all of the CHL and trying to single out a team. It's a "what have you don't for me lately" scene that doesn't care too much about nuance.

Do you believe Tracey took a step backwards or was dropped into a unique situation when he was traded?

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
They may also have guys who fit their top 6 better than Tracey would, and don't believe in him as a bottom 6 player. I'm not overly concerned about the lack of an invite, but it should motivate him whenever he is able to hit the ice next.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That draft has a chance to be unreal. Zegras and Thrun

and I still have high hopes for Tracey and LaCombe

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Thrun seems like the next defensive steal for the Ducks. Really exciting to see how he progresses.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That draft has a chance to be unreal. Zegras and Thrun

and I still have high hopes for Tracey and LaCombe
I don’t even like to target dmen with our 1st round picks, our drafting in rounds 2-7 is unreal. This up coming draft seems to have some solid dmen in the later rounds I wouldn’t be shocked to see us add another 2nd or 3rd round pick

Reactions: Kalv

Dick Steel

May 11, 2019
Finland
I don’t even like to target dmen with our 1st round picks, our drafting in rounds 2-7 is unreal. This up coming draft seems to have some solid dmen in the later rounds I wouldn’t be shocked to see us add another 2nd or 3rd round pick
Drysdale is only Dmen in this draft who should pick top5. Ducks have #31 and #36 picks. I wont mind if Ducks take #31 or #36 picks dmen, Poirier, Wallinder or Grans...Poirier is boom or bust pick.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It would have been so nice to pull off the Krebs trade last year.
Glad to see Zegras getting more love.

Passing on Kaliyev and Höglander still hurts. Especially on Kaliyev, due to his shot alone.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Was looking at Jarvis vids and was amazed by his skating. Then looked at some Tracey videos and often it looks like he's skating in sand.
Tracey is slick and smart offensive player but he has Perry skating ability with a much less size and grit.

Pretty sure his skating is the main reason he was left out of camp. And if he doesn't improve it, he will not be a good player as a pro, unfortunately.

Reactions: ADHB

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Was looking at Jarvis vids and was amazed by his skating. Then looked at some Tracey videos and often it looks like he's skating in sand.
Tracey is slick and smart offensive player but he has Perry skating ability with a much less size and grit.

Pretty sure his skating is the main reason he was left out of camp. And if he doesn't improve it, he will not be a good player as a pro, unfortunately.
I agree. Having seen a ton of video of Tracey and also seeing him live at the rookie games, he’s about as vanilla a player as there is. If he doesn’t increase his skating ability and intensity/physical play, I don’t see him making an impact anywhere.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

In Tracey's words "Obviously, I'm not sure why I was picked ahead of Hoglander, but obviously, Murray or Madden saw something in me. Obviously, they probably would have preferred to trade up for Krebs or hoped that Tomasino or McMichael fell to them, but obviously that didn't happen. Obviously, we won't know how I pan out until a few more years. Obviously."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad