Confirmed with Link: Ducks name Dallas Eakins head coach [Press Conference Noon PT]

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't think he was the best option available so I'm not super thrilled with this hire but I am happy that we have a coach in place for next season who is going to be a massive upgrade over Carlyle.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't call eakins my ideal choice... but he has a lot of experience with our younger guys like steel terry jones etc... he got kinda the short end of the stick in Edmonton... hopefully he used that experience as a learning experience... I think he has potential to be a solid coach and honestly after RC anyone seems halfway decent so well see.

Idk if I see him as a coach that can take us to a cup, but I see him as a coach that can right the ship and put us in the right direction. Worst case scenario hes awful and we end up with top 3 pick in next years draft and all of ducksgos dreams can come true.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
New coaches are always a crap shoot in any sport. How well a coach meshes with his players can sometimes be more important than Xs and Os, especially in this day and age. Eakins has a darn good record in that aspect so I think he is an excellent choice, especially given there would be no guarantees no matter who was hired.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Can't shake the feeling that somehow Eakins wasn't Bob's first choice but that ownership prevailed. Meaning that Bob's power within the organization has waned.

I dunno about that, seems to me like it was probably a faulty media narrative that many, including myself, bought into. It's basically just based on one tweet that doesn't say he didn't like Eakins, just that he was going to do an actual search, and it got added to by insiders who thought Eakins would be hired the day the season ended and who just don't understand Bob. He was always going to be thorough, he was always going to take his time, he was always going to announce the hire after the cup was handed out. None of this was surprising.

I dunno, maybe that is the case, but all the people connected have said Eakins was the favorite and all the doubts seem to stem from them not just giving him the job like the Blackhawks did with Colliton. Which, in hindsight, seems misguided.

On the other hand, Teaford said there's no confirmation and Stephens isn't commenting at all so maybe there's more twists to this story yet. The reports that it's done totally stem from every other candidate saying they're out and they think it's Eakins, nothing from the team itself. EDIT-Nevermind The Athletic just reported it's being announced tomorrow lol

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Can't shake the feeling that somehow Eakins wasn't Bob's first choice but that ownership prevailed. Meaning that Bob's power within the organization has waned.
They did the same with Boudreau, so I would be careful to read too much into their skepticism. Considering the options, I'd say they chose well. Murray's favorite obviously wasn't so hot. Granted that both reached the conference finals, but I'd still rate Boudreau's team ahead of Carlyle's in terms of contention.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
While Getz is captain, I dont give a damn who the coach is.. Getz and Manson wont let players cheap shot our guys.. Lets give him a chance at least.. He had no leadership in EDM.. Wont be the same here..
Add Comtois who's one hell of a competitor with crazy character.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I like him a lot and the way former player speak of him is off the charts. He is as good aß everyone in the mix. Time will tell how good he fit.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He sure is, seems like he based that off the team refusing to tell him outright while Stephens got that confirmation a while ago. It was funny they had articles up within minutes with pretty different information.
He's published a lot of misinformation just since becoming the Ducks beat writer this year. He really seems as though hockey really isn't his preference to cover.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He's published a lot of misinformation just since becoming the Ducks beat writer this year. He really seems as though hockey really isn't his preference to cover.

Could be, although I know people said that about Stephens a lot for fairly dumb reasoning. I think he's just not very good and never was but the paper needed someone to replace Stephens and he might've been the only one left who made much sense.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Stephens seems to actually have some sources. It just doesn’t seem like Teaford is that well connected.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Stephens seems to actually have some sources. It just doesn’t seem like Teaford is that well connected.

Stephens is just an old school guy in the wrong era. Even today when this came out, his first instinct wasn't to get on Twitter, it was to confirm it, get the info, and go make an Athletic article with Josh Cooper, and then. It can be somewhat frustrating, especially if you don't subscribe, but it is what it is, I'm fine with it.

Teaford is just....yeah.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
To anyone worried about this hire, it's really not much risk at all. At worst we suck another year and get more stacked with yet more high draft picks and then can Eakins as a trial that just didn't work out and go hunt for a different type or a more experienced coach. Way more leeway with someone like him than with Bob's old drinking buddy with a pedigree.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Given how awful EDM has been, for so long, with so many good old boys running the show, you would think their fan base might know something about people who live in glass houses. But alas, the MB thread say they don't.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Given how awful EDM has been, for so long, with so many good old boys running the show, you would think their fan base might know something about people who live in glass houses. But alas, the MB thread say they don't.

Eakins is all they got at this point. They know all about the pitfalls of the boys on the bus, they know they've been bad, but to them Eakins is the one thing they can point at and say how it could be worse. That's why him succeeding here would be delicious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad