Ducks have been better than expected Pacific Division Winner and reach WCF

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We also played one of the toughest schedules to start the season. Everyone in the west playoff picture likely can beat everyone else so itll be interesting.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Simple fact of the matter is Randy Carlyle is a decent coach, and the leaf team he had was terrible from top to bottom outside of kessel.

He isn't Babcock, or Quenville, but he isn't some talentless grub as leaf fans would have you believe. He got his NHL shot by building a deep resume as assistant coach, then dominating the all. There is a reason he was snapped up by the leafs in seconds after leaving Anaheim.

He's old school absolutely, but I'm not surprised he's doing well. He's a good coach.

Maurice, Wilson, Quinn, Carlyle.....all excellent coaches and all ran out of town (less so Quinn). One wonders how long until Babcock is viewed as garbage.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
8 goals 6 assists 14 points in 18 games being a +9 with a 60.7 faceoff win percentage he is very good hasn't regressed yet despite some posters in these forums having said he has.

RC isn't a terrible coach he isn't a great coach either he is a underrated one who has been used partly as a scapegoat from Maple Leafs for their faliures. Considering the bad situation he had with Toronto I was surprised the team won as much as they had and do believe some of it had to do with knowing how to get them to win more then they should have.

I doubt Eakins would be able to coach us into the playoffs especially with our weaknesses on the roster.

Carlyle wasn't the scapegoat though. Phil Kessel got all the criticism.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Simple fact of the matter is Randy Carlyle is a decent coach, and the leaf team he had was terrible from top to bottom outside of kessel.

He isn't Babcock, or Quenville, but he isn't some talentless grub as leaf fans would have you believe. He got his NHL shot by building a deep resume as assistant coach, then dominating the all. There is a reason he was snapped up by the leafs in seconds after leaving Anaheim.

He's old school absolutely, but I'm not surprised he's doing well. He's a good coach.

Maurice, Wilson, Quinn, Carlyle.....all excellent coaches and all ran out of town (less so Quinn). One wonders how long until Babcock is viewed as garbage.

Leaf fans used stats to prove he's a terrible possession coach. It wasn't just saying "He's Terrible", the stats say he is not a great fit in 2016'.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Eh they're the favorites in the division so it's pretty much expected, especially after they got the cap space miracle of the year.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Carlyle wasn't the scapegoat though. Phil Kessel got all the criticism.

No Kessel didn't get it all I had heard Phaneuf and RC get some.

Leaf fans used stats to prove he's a terrible possession coach. It wasn't just saying "He's Terrible", the stats say he is not a great fit in 2016'.

And with that terrible possesion team they still won a decent amount of games more so then they should of with the roster they had. Possession ≠ how good or bad someone is its whats done with and without it.

Eh they're the favorites in the division so it's pretty much expected, especially after they got the cap space miracle of the year.

After BB was fired and RC hired we hadn't been the favorites anymore.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wish when Kesler was being shopped he didn't narrow it down the teams to just ANA basically. The CBJ from what I read were in on him but he didnt want to go east I guess. But it's play like this year and back in the 2010ish time period that made Kesler the only jersey I have ever owned and likely the last because damn it was expensive.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wish when Kesler was being shopped he didn't narrow it down the teams to just ANA basically. The CBJ from what I read were in on him but he didnt want to go east I guess. But it's play like this year and back in the 2010ish time period that made Kesler the only jersey I have ever owned and likely the last because damn it was expensive.
Kesler gets so under rated because people generally hate him, he was our best player last year and 1 of the biggesr reasons we were able to come back from our slow start. He has been arguably our best player again this year, hes always a superstar when the games matter, mught not always show up on score sheet but just his prescence and impact on other teams stars.

I dont know if ther3 is a player that makes the opposing player work harder for every foot of the ice then kesler.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This thread basically is saying - "Ha Ha Leaf Fans you were wrong, Carlyle is a great coach!.
They're a .500 team in a weak division and he is a terrible coach for 2016'. Stats were given to show this and many non Leaf fan agree.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I actually expected a better showing from PAC teams.

I thought the Ducks and Sharks would battle it out for the top spot.

LA even hanging around is surprising to me given all the injuries. Rookies are stepping up.

I still think Edmonton can steal a spot. Calgary looks ok on paper but has struggled out of the gate.

Thought Arizona would be better but they don't seem as good as they were last year even.

Vancouver is Vancouver.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Will probably make the playoffs, but only due to being in the worst division since sliced bread.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was always silly to doubt them based on their play without Lindholm and Rakell. They have also been a team that goes through slumps even when they finished with the division lead. They have a veteran core in their prime and will be a force for as long as they are in their primes. Same with the other Cali teams

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Rakell_goal.0.gif

How Swede it is.

Just getting him back added that much more skill to the lineup. It was brutal sometimes.

nice back left heel turns….2 of them

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Happy for Carlyle. Hopefully he can make up for what Toronto did to his rep and retire a sc champ.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I've always said that Carlyle is a better coach than what some Leaf fans give credit for, he took us to the playoffs that so many before him had failed to do. But guys like Maurice, and Wilson are not -- especially Ron Wilson, there is a reason he still hasn't made his way back into the league. DocBrown, are you able to post without mentioning the Leafs or its fans in any of your posts? Like this is a Anaheim thread and your post centers around the Leafs and it's fans...You seem kind of obsessed.

Oh and a year and a half isn't "seconds" after leaving Toronto.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I've always said that Carlyle is a better coach than what some Leaf fans give credit for, he took us to the playoffs that so many before him had failed to do. But guys like Maurice, and Wilson are not -- especially Ron Wilson, there is a reason he still hasn't made his way back into the league. DocBrown, are you able to post without mentioning the Leafs or its fans in any of your posts? Like this is a Anaheim thread and your post centers around the Leafs and it's fans...You seem kind of obsessed.

Oh and a year and a half isn't "seconds" after leaving Toronto.

In a 48 game season. That gave him a big advantage. Carlyle's teams usually tanked in the second half.

Last edited:

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
In a 48 game season. That gave him a big advantage. Carlyle's teams usually tanked in the second half.

Funny enough, Carlyle's Ducks (during his first stint) were the complete opposite (outside of the year we won the cup) - slow starts and terrific finishes.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Babcock can opt-out in 3 years.

As if that will happen. way too much money on the line. And the Leafs rebuild is ahead of schedule.
Maybe he'll go to Buffalo because I heard he'd pick them because they were "Years" ahead of the Leafs in a rebuild?:laugh:
And BTW, I can't find anything about him being able to leave after 3 years. (Not stating it's not a fact, I just could not recall that and it wasn't reported by TSn or SN).

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I think you misread my post Kelly.

It will be interesting to see how Babcock leaves Toronto.

My bad.

I think it all comes down to how the rebuild turns out in Toronto.

It doesn't go out as planned, I'd imagine they'd move on and fire him. If it does, he'll probably be coming back for an encore after this contract is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad