GDT: Ducks @ GoodDevils, 7:00, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'm still confused as to why that they haven't put the Palat-Hughes-Holtz line back together after running with that for most of the preseason, and seeing pretty good results.
Yes , makes no sense. Bratt drives the Nico line and Hughes drives his. Not sure why they have both Bratt and Hughes on the same line . Maybe they want to load that line up so they get them going ?
Holtz with the better playmaker Hughes would be ideal IMO ? Other than swapping Holtz and Bratt, lineup looks good. Oh , Smith out and Bahl in would be nice to see.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
My opinion: They think Holtz is too much of a liability and Holtz and Hughes along with Sharangovich is a death wish defensively.

Yeah that thinking makes sense, but then why were they kept together most of the preseason? To find out if that thinking was true or not maybe.. but I thought they looked good for the most part. Perhaps they saw otherwise.

Reactions: Lou is God

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Tonight would be the kind of game I would go to. Lower level tickets for $20 on Stubhub. An opponent the Devils can and should beat...

But I can't believe two games into the season, my excitement has been completely ripped from me. This team in the first two games looks exactly like last year's team.
Yup.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Like the lines for the most part. 3 decent lines and whatever the hell that 4th line is. Would like to see Bahl in place of Smith though.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
What did Zetterlund do exactly to warrant ordering popcorn tonight?
As much as we all want to see him play, the coach logic adds up, lost last game, can't sit Tatar, the only other person that might get the sit is Mcleod, but need that 4c.

I feel like it's going to be a Bastian/Zetterland swap for the foreseeable future until someone either gets hurt or one of Tatar, Holtz, Shara (maybe Mcleod if he plays bad enough) just have a real rough patch that can't be ignored.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Like the lines for the most part. 3 decent lines and whatever the hell that 4th line is. Would like to see Bahl in place of Smith though.
If it were based on the first two games, think it is Graves or Marino that slots out to give Bahl a shot (or Damon).

Smith has been pretty much what he is.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
It really doesn't make sense to have Bratt and Hughes on the same line

Nice...I don't think I have seen those. That was near time I stopped collecting cards. Although I do have a ton of Beckett's from then. I don't have a like button again or I would've like this :)
I like Bratt with Hughes. I think Bratt is the only one with the IQ/skill to keep up with Jack.

Reactions: glenwo2

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Is Mackenzie skating around today going Quack Quack Quack? What kind of Devils goalie while show up tonight? The owners want to keep Ruff, he is cheap.

After 2 games the Devils are #28 of 32. 10 GA with 4 GF. Let's see where they are every 5 games.

Last edited:

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I think our 3rd line is pretty good. They can do well if they click. Wood hasnt looked as fast though, think the injury slowed him down a bit.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Don't even need him for faceoffs anymore. Haula and Hischier are both better. I don't get what he brings to cement his 4th line C role.

We didn’t have a 4th line against Detroit, the plan was to double shift other centers with Holtz & Shara. Not a good plan, but that was the plan going in.

I doubt he plans to glue both Bastian and McLeod to the bench so maybe they get a few minutes more. So maybe more like 8 minutes 5v5 instead of 2.

McLeod is there more for PK IMO then FOs but this is ridiculous, turning this into a 3 line team while benching Zetterlund is f***ing goofy.

Tatar on the 4th line is as useless as tits on a bull.
Well he should fit right in then I guess.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Tatar on the 4th line is as useless as tits on a bull.
He will be given a very long leash because of his preseason and because of how much they pay him. I don't see him as a bottom six player (at least on NJ) and at this point he's probably more of a fill in guy for the top six if someone is injured.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I am equally interested to see how the board reacts with a win or a loss.

Regardless of all that I just want a solid effort. If the team fails to respond again then they must really want Ruff gone too.
yeah really i just wanna see some signs of a consistently effective process. Not holding my breath cuz i don’t think we’ve seen any semblance of it since Ruff was hired.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’m sure it’s been driven into the ground here but some of this coaching decisions make no sense.

You can finally ice four lines deep and instead you choose to double shift Hughes. Fully capable of icing three scoring lines and an energy line without doing that. I’d rather see Hughes play an effective 19-20 minutes than a watered down version getting double shifted playing 24 minutes when Bratt is only hitting 16.

The power play units are also baffling. Spreading the wealth out on the power play never works. Bratt and Hughes are your two best weapons and should be on the PP together. The rest can be tinkered with, especially if you want to have say Haula on the unit to help win board battles and face offs. But Bratt-Hughes should be non-negotiable

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m sure it’s been driven into the ground here but some of this coaching decisions make no sense.

You can finally ice four lines deep and instead you choose to double shift Hughes. Fully capable of icing three scoring lines and an energy line without doing that. I’d rather see Hughes play an effective 19-20 minutes than a watered down version getting double shifted playing 24 minutes when Bratt is only hitting 16.

The power play units are also baffling. Spreading the wealth out on the power play never works. Bratt and Hughes are your two best weapons and should be on the PP together. The rest can be tinkered with, especially if you want to have say Haula on the unit to help win board battles and face offs. But Bratt-Hughes should be non-negotiable
I wonder if a fourth line of Tatar, Bastian and Zetterlund makes more sense than whatever they are doing with McLeod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA