Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4, Penguins 2 - ALMOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
All fair critiques.

That said, the mess that is this defense is 99.99% on Jim Rutherford. He spent the last 18 months deconstructing a cup caliber defense and inundating it with morons.
I do think the decision to trade Cole was somewhat forced upon him by the coach. Also, no one other than Sully is forcing JJ or Oleksiak or OM to play over Riikola.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, why not? Could've kept him instead of wasting 3.25m on Johnson.

That was never going to happen, Cole told JR that he wanted to spend his career in Pittsburgh and JR told him that they had no interest in re-signing him. Cole being moved was just as much of a JR decision as it was a Sullivan decision.

I do think the decision to trade Cole was somewhat forced upon him by the coach. Also, no one other than Sully is forcing JJ or Oleksiak or OM to play over Riikola.

It was forced upon by JR being greedy with their 3C spot and them needing cap space.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@canadianguy77 wanted to response in the game thread with this:
thiis is important, I watched carefully, actualy Pens tried hard, but Ducks put on a clinic, they supported, they press on the wall, and their forward were actively covering points, so all the hard work behind the goal was useless since their sticks were so active and covering, I am actually not all that mad at Pens in third, this was more of a case of a team that really know how to hold onto lead...

They also have a NHL caliber defense. I mean, they gave us our 3rd best defenseman right now, and that was despite not having Fowler.

Reactions: BillPrep

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pens played pretty decent in the 1st and 3rd period, but the 2nd period was awful.

JR really screwed up this roster.

The team's identity was speed and skill and JR brought in a bunch of players that don't have speed and skill.

So now you got a slow team trying to play a fast game.

Its just not going to work.
and this is why I was going crazy when some of the posters were suggesting trading Rust,,,,you just cannot make up for the loss of speed on each of the first three lines...

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I was told repeatedly that Sprong was worthless because he “couldn’t get his vaunted shot off” when he was on the ice...

What did he have, 4 or 5 shots tonight???

Oh that’s right, they weren’t against NHL caliber defensemen...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

For sure. Sullivan wanting Cole gone from the moment the Pens won the second cup insured that Rutherford wouldn't sign him.

Reactions: Ryder71

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Remember when we had Connor Sheary but had to give him away so we could sign JJ for the rest of eternity?

giphy.gif

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The GM had two horrible summers in a row. It pretty much starts and ends there.

I can't wait to revisit the Sprong debate at the end of the year.

That is all.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
All fair critiques.

That said, the mess that is this defense is 99.99% on Jim Rutherford. He spent the last 18 months deconstructing a cup caliber defense and inundating it with morons.

True but he also is dealing with a coach who wouldn't play a young defender he brought in over the summer, wouldn't play a young play who he thought was a top six winger. And I wouldn't be surprise if Sullivan wants Grant and Wilson up over other young guys.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hmm, I'm not gonna half page rant, but he mostly looked fine tonight imo. I think ZAR literally does nothing for that line, frankly I think he floats to the open spaces instead of working the boards well or forechecking which is weird because you have two guys on that line who have had 35+ goals, yet he's the one trying to float leaving them to grind. That doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Kessel looked fine. He and Malkin have to drag around a fourth liner with no puck or board skills all night. I guess they are supposed to wave their magic wands about and make the ugly toad look pretty.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That was never going to happen, Cole told JR that he wanted to spend his career in Pittsburgh and JR told him that they had no interest in re-signing him. Cole being moved was just as much of a JR decision as it was a Sullivan decision.

It was forced upon by JR being greedy with their 3C spot and them needing cap space.
There were other ways around it.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I was told repeatedly that Sprong was worthless because he “couldn’t get his vaunted shot off” when he was on the ice...

Yeah, I think I was wrong on that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess my biggest gripe is the standing around when on the PP. They just rely on the flip out to the point too much.

When having the 5 on 3 the front two in front of the net just stood there and didn't even slide out to the soft areas. Geno was looking and looking, and was forced to send it to the point.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Yeah, Kessel was bad which is the shame, because Malkin played quite well actually. Guentzel was a huge disappointment as well tonight. But that defense is not only killing us defensively, but they are so useless offensively too. That´s a big problem. Riikkola is no God, but there is no way he should be sitting while Maatta is playing. Maatta is a disgrace. And O and JJ are pretty bad too. It´s really hard to win with those three guys in the lineup. Really hard.

I don't know I guess I'm seeing another game, nothing about his play tonight shouted "bad" to me, they had okay shifts with some good looks, but they are lugging around deadweight in ZAR, he doesn't support the cycle, he's weak af, isn't hard on the forecheck, can't pass well when he gets the puck, and floats a lot. I thought he was supposed to be working for them, not vice-versa. I don't know where people are seeing this ZAR who deserves to be on that line, I've read a ton of articles saying that, but everytime I watch him and zero in, he's pretty much useless.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
their PK is aggresive, even 5 on 3 they were attacking, they must have tapes of our PP standing and not supporting, and how come Geno and Phil ended up on opposite sides for two PPs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The GM had two horrible summers in a row. It pretty much starts and ends there.

I can't wait to revisit the Sprong debate at the end of the year.

That is all.
4pts in 6 games, I'm happy for the kid, he's getting a chance and minutes to play through shit. I 100% believe that a prospect with immense offensive potential, you get that side of his game going, the rest of the stuff you can work on slowly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

1 ES shot and 3 PP shots. Not exactly singing him praises when he gets a bunch of shots on a powerplay.

He had a good game tonight for sure, but I don't know why people need to be obnoxious about it. Sprong wasn't good for the Penguins. They traded him for a guy that filled the need in Pettersson. Pettersson has been good for the Penguins and Sprong has been good for the Ducks. I don't know why either side has to be obnoxious about it.

There were other ways around it.

There really wasn't unless you were going to be able to dump Hunwick without sinking assets to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad