Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4, Penguins 2 - ALMOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Honestly, Neal was a good comparison for Kessel. Snipes are equal. Passing is equal.

Are you sure that you have actually watched Neal? He is nowhere near as good a passer as Kessel. Hell, he is worse than Maatta probably. I loved the guy when he was playing with Malkin but passing isn't his forte, to put it mildly.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Honestly, Neal was a good comparison for Kessel.
- Snipes: equally good
- Passing: equally average
- Speed: Phil is faster (but also lazier)
- Physicality: Neither are physical, but slight edge to Neal
- One-timer: again, neither, but Neal will at least attempt one
- Stupidity: Phil doesn't take dumb retaliation penalties (was surprised they both have 18 PIMs)
- Cost: Phil is a little more expensive (both are overpaid)
- Defense: Neither one plays a lick of defense

And yes, I know Malkin (and Letang) take the dumb retaliatory penalties too. Even Crosby has had his moments. But they are all far better hockey players than Neal (and Kessel).

Any other comparisons?
How about Ovechkin?

Snipes: equal
Passing: equal
Speed: Phil
Physicality: Ovechkin
One-timer: Ovechkin
Stupidity: Kessel
Cost: Kessel is much cheaper (well for the Penguins).
Defense: both suck at Defense.
PP: Ovechkin just receives, Kessel creates.
SH: neither

You can also argue they are similar players.

Kessel vs Neal:
Kessel is a better sniper.
Kessel is a better passer.
Kessel is MUCH faster.

Rest is about right.

The fundamental difference is Kessel/Ovechkin can create and can be a difference maker. Neal has none of that ability.

Neal was a strong complementary player that used Malkin very well. You can even argue that Neal is a better fit for Malkin than Kessel. Kessel and Malkin both try to create which is similar to how Sid and Geno play together.

Look I know you don't like Kessel and consider him overrated, but consider that he was instrumental in our cups and almost deserved the conn-smythe. That should say something.

If I were to rate the wingers:
Ovechkin - 10
Kessel - 8
Neal - 6
Hornqvist - 7 (for what we need, but 6 on other teams)
Rust - 5
ZAR - 3

All I'm trying to say is you can build around Kessel as a strong complementary player and it's hard to find those type of players that can be difference makers. Neal wasn't one of them.

If Sullivan and Kessel have issues, they need to resolve it before it hurts the team further!

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We're only a few hours away from puck drop. Closing this for now. Please take any lingering discussion to the appropriate thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->