Duchene vs Stastny vs O'Reilly

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Sorry, but I don't take much from your OP. Hejduk just got old. He was producing well before Duchene showed up. Pap had a really good year before even joining this team. O'Reilly having just 3rd line production without him? That's just not true. McGinn was more in tune with O'Reilly than Duchene and even stepped up in his absence.

Maybe these guys elevated Duchene if he needs a certain style so bad. But they won't get credit for that.

Still though, the point was just that I am so tired of Iggy (maybe you are not saying he is a good player, but many people act like he is completely worthless and has no business being on this team) seemingly being blamed for Duchene's struggles, but when a line clicks Duchene gets all the credit, like you are currently doing with that list claiming Duchene made them so much better of players.

Here are the numbers to show that Duchene makes every player except Mackinnon, Stastny, Svatos, and Gabe better than they are without him, and in some cases like those I mentioned, far better.

Player GF/60 With Duchene GF/60 Without Duchene
Hejduk 2.79 2.06
O'Reilly 2.85 2.02
Parenteau 2.97 2.56
McGinn 3.08 2.00
Iginla 3.01 2.75
Stastny 2.30 2.51
Yip 3.22 1.55
Galiardi 2.29 2.00
Mueller 2.37 2.15
Fleischmann 2.74 2.49
McLeod 3.09 1.70
Winnik 2.20 1.76
Stewart 2.60 2.62
MacKinnon 2.24 3.01
Landeskog 2.56 2.70
Svatos 0.55 2.15
Porter 4.42 1.86
Olver 2.28 1.90

Duchene is a very interesting player because his play is night and day depending on who he is lined up with and the numbers show that very clearly.

Iggy himself is one of the best players to ever play and a hall of fame lock. Him leading the team in scoring last year was a testament to that. However Iggy has lost a lot of foot speed over the years so he isn't the best fit for Speedy centers like Duchene/Mac in our fast paced system. Systems like Bos are much more suited for him. On twitter Luke Steer (@objectiveavs) has actually written 2 great article on Duchene and Mackinnon that go heavily in depth on line combos for the 2 players if you are looking for more on the matter.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
MacKinnon is already the better player both offensively and defensively imo. He's a really special player.

He's definitely being trusted more defensively and looks good. He also seems to have brushed off his sophomore slump and is looking great playing his natural position, but I'm not so sure he has completely eclipsed duchene offensively yet. Still a very small sample size this season

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Don't really care about losing ROR. I'd take Stastny at 7 though. He was important to the team because with him in the lineup, Duchene and MacK could play their game and play to their strengths. He also had good locker room chemistry and was with the organization when we had Sakic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad