Duchene vs Stastny vs O'Reilly

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Why does Duchene get so much f***ing hate here? He has had 1 bad season (2011-2012/injured as well) and an underwhelming year (2014-2015) in which the entire team underperformed. He is off to a slow start but it has been 4 games. 4.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
In my view, he clearly does

And in my view, over the last few seasons he has been crapped on for his mistakes more than any other core player. We all know he needs to be better, and pretty much every poster here has said so, multiple times, in multiple ways.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why does Duchene get so much f***ing hate here? He has had 1 bad season (2011-2012/injured as well) and an underwhelming year (2014-2015) in which the entire team underperformed. He is off to a slow start but it has been 4 games. 4.

Because he's better than what he's shown in those 4 games. We've all seen how talented he is, but he's not playing to his capabilities.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
And in my view, over the last few seasons he has been crapped on for his mistakes more than any other core player. We all know he needs to be better, and pretty much every poster here has said so, multiple times, in multiple ways.

This is the first year Duchene is getting the flak he deserves. Previous years it was Stastny, ROR or Landeskog who were the focus not Duchene. Both Staz+ROR are gone and Landy+Mack have been great so there's no other option to deflect the blame on now.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Duchene got plenty of crap last season.

edit: and I'm no saying he doesn't deserve it. He just doesn't have this 'free pass' from criticism. At least not anymore

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Duchene over his career has been a streaky player, and a good amount of that comes from him either having wingers that work well with him, or getting the bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately it is pretty obvious him and Iggy are not a good fit and he has struggled pretty hard since the start of last year and especially in the first 4 games. With that said, I think Rantanen is the PERFECT winger for Duchene and I think as they play more together Duchene will slowly get out of this funk.

As for OP, RoR doesn't deserve to be an Av and Stastny deserved the right to get paid big money with great timing on UFA. I do miss Stastny but paying him 7m would not have been the right call.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

A large majority of hockey fans evaluate players/teams based on a very small window of games that they have played currently and make hasty decisions. It is very difficult to be patient with these kinds of things but this post is a little silly.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
What a short-sighted post. We Avs fans sure love hot takes don't we?

Honestly I don't think you guys could brew up a more toxic situation than the one being suggested in the OP. Trading Duchene instead of the other guys back then would have destroyed the lockerroom and just been stupid, stupid, stupid.

Just give it a rest with the hot takes, it's 4 games and we're .500.

Pathetic

how so?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
We made the right choice or whatever in the end but the biggest bummer here for me is we got nothing back for Stastny. I dunno if Grigs and the pick will pan-out but imagine if we'd gotten another potential top-4 dman like Zadorov for Stastny. Duchene has a higher ceiling than the other two as well, dunno if he'll get there but they don't have hindsight.

Losing both ROR/Stastny has hurt our defensive game, it would've really helped to have a 2-way guy or another D that can play top 4 for him. I know he wouldn't have brought back as good a return as ROR and we were heading for playoffs and whatnot but it was a real missed opportunity imo.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
It's cool to pile on Duchene? So are all the "cool" kids (that you were always warned about) smoking cigarettes in the stair well and piling onto Duchene? Or is this a different set of "cool" kids? If so, does it also take place in a stairwell?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It's cool to pile on Duchene? So are all the "cool" kids (that you were always warned about) smoking cigarettes in the stair well and piling onto Duchene? Or is this a different set of "cool" kids? If so, does it also take place in a stairwell?

:laugh:

they are definitely the scary kinda cool kids though that run all the good kids off.

johnny-isent-22.jpg

Stay Gold Ponyboy (wherever you are)

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
:laugh:

they are definitely the scary kinda cool kids though that run all the good kids off.

johnny-isent-22.jpg

Stay Gold Ponyboy (wherever you are)

This is the first time I'm realizing Rob Lowe was in the outsiders.

Also, since we're talking centers:
Paul Stastny > Ryan O'Reilly > Tom Cruise > John Mitchell > Matt Duchene.

Am I doing this right?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There is no reason to try and evaluate a player when they are in a slump (or less so on a hot streak). Everytime it happens people always try to burn the witch on here. Its the silliest thing.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
This is the first time I'm realizing Rob Lowe was in the outsiders.

Also, since we're talking centers:
Paul Stastny > Ryan O'Reilly > Tom Cruise > John Mitchell > Matt Duchene.

Am I doing this right?

Don't you mean that this is the first time you're realizing that Dean Youngblood once lived in Oklahoma?

BTW, yes you're doing it right. Oh! And can I borrow your lighter?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Something is wrong with Duchene right now.

Something's wrong with him every second week. Still, I don't think it was a mistake to keep him. Losing Stastny without getting anything in return was a mistake but an easily understandable one considering the great season the Avs were having.
Duchene will get his crap together again and then he'll be a solid 2nd line center. Grigorenko will be our 3rd line center and I think he'll be more valuable for the team than O'Reilly was.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
It's threads like this that are ruining the forums for me. Only pessimistic whiners eat this stuff up and that seems to be all there is lately. Not saying I think this team farts rainbows and everything is good, but if you have so much to complain about this team why even follow them anymore?

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I remember Giroux's notoriously slow start from two seasons ago and he finished very strong in the end. Im not saying that Duchene's as good, they're different players but both of them are able to slump and produce in this league.. Not worried

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Something is wrong with Duchene right now.

Yup but it aint an injury. His issue right now is between the ears. That Minnesota game did a number on bis self esteem. He legit needs a goal to go off his skate or something next game. As far as rbis threads concerned....I dont even know why it exists. Duchene wasnt a mistake. It sucked losing ROR and Casper but thats business for ya.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Is everyone suppose to whine about what's ruining the board and then accuse Ponyboy and Dallas of whining?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad