Proposal: Duchene to Winnipeg, Stone to Calgary, Dzingel & Pageau to Edmonton, Ceci to Minnesota

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
When's the last time you watched him play? 1 point in 8 games for him isn't very good at all, but its way more than just stats with him. The team's GAA was 3.95 until he came back, and its 2.37 since he's been back (small sample size, and Nilsson could be a factor, but still significant). One of the best shutdown centres in the game. Could probably fetch a late 1st from a contender (he is a really good playoff performer as well). His impact on a teams' defensive game would be significant. But he's far from having a tough time considering his role.
Its all Nilsson(.930sv%). The Sens are still allowing 30+ SA per game and a GM isn't going to care if JP had one good playoff series 2 years ago.
Top 10 shut down centre....please. What great conspiracy theory have you got for his lack of Selke votes? Haha
Will not get a first

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Here are my thoughts/concerns about Duchene & Jets.

- OP is fair, but I doubt I pay it purely for a rental.

- I would be concerned about Duchene character, seems like a dark cloud & issues follow him wherever he goes. I’m not saying he has a bad character but there is smoke there. I would do a search into these issues before ever bringing him into one of the youngest teams in the nhl. We lived thru E Kane drama don’t want more.

- On ice chemistry, not sure how he would turn out.

- Cap, signing him would mean another 1-2 main contracts have to go.

- New contract, I question if this year’s performance is a likely good indicator of future performance or is he overachieving this year.

IMO I highly doubt the Jets go big on Duchene as a rental

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Its all Nilsson(.930sv%). The Sens are still allowing 30+ SA per game and a GM isn't going to care if JP had one good playoff series 2 years ago.
Top 10 shut down centre....please. What great conspiracy theory have you got for his lack of Selke votes? Haha
Will not get a first

No conspiracy theory here, he actually got some votes in 2017. And who are your Top 10 shutdown Centres?

And Nilsson was good, but far from standing on his head. And come on, SOG totals don't tell THAT much of the story. Need the advanced stats and scoring chances, which I'm kind of lazy to go find right now. But there is no doubt that the sens have been noticeably better defensively since he came back.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Nilsson just good? He's had like a .960sv% in his past 5 games! I guess that's all because of the most criminally underrated shutdown centre in NHL history

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not god awful, probably fair value wise, but as a Sens fan, I can't say its that enticing. The only thing to likely come out of that is a late 1st pick. I don't see the 3rd, Petan, or Stanley amounting to all that much.

Probably see if any team would bite at a 1st + good prospect

I’d agree with Petan at this point, decent bottom 6 guy maybe, but I think (though may not be in the majority) that Stanley will be a good middle pairing guy in the future

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Instead of two prospects, I think Ottawa will ask for a roster player; one of Copp/Lowry/Roslovic along with the 1st and a prospect. If he signs add a 2nd, if Jets win the Cup make that a 1st.

I think that's fair.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To Jets: Matt Duchene (2 Millions retained), 2019 5th round pick.

To Sens: 2019 1st round pick, 2o2o 3rd round pick, Nic Petan, Logan Stanley

Fair or god awful?

I dont like it, think the sens can get a real roster player that is going to contribute in the NHL I dont see that from Petan and Stanley.

Had a San Jose fan offer 1st 3rd labanc Chmlevski which is a much better package in my opinion.

1st2019 3rd2019 5th2020 Roslovic id consider.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The value is fair, but I'd hate to see us lose another 1st rounder. Jets are good, but a cup is so highly unlikely. They need to keep building.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Instead of two prospects, I think Ottawa will ask for a roster player; one of Copp/Lowry/Roslovic along with the 1st and a prospect. If he signs add a 2nd, if Jets win the Cup make that a 1st.

I think that's fair.
Contending teams don't usually give up contributing roster players at the TDL. So, none of the players you listed will be available for a rental. They can ask, but they won't get.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I think that's pretty close to what we could get for Duchene without retaining (and you know if that's an option cheap Sens ownership would take the other deal).

So not quite fair, but definitely not god awful.

Also, as mentioned in another thread. Jets fans don't seem thrilled with the idea of adding Duchene for whatever reason, I think they'd rather make a move for a Brassard type as a pure rental (Jets fans, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong on this one).

I posted in the other thread. I like Duchene a lot, I just don't like the idea of emptying the cupboards yearly in order to get that big rental. I'd rather them figure out the 2C spot in a longer term solution. I don't mind adding a few depth players at the deadline but seeing the 1st round pick go out a few years in a row leaves me worried for the future in case some moves don't work out.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's pretty close to what the Jets gave up for Stastny last year.

Stastny had 40P in 63GP when he was traded to the Jets last year.

Duchene has 47P in 41GP this year and is top 20 in the league in PPG.

Duchene should get significantly more than Stastny. This offer should be outbid pretty handily.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think that's pretty close to what we could get for Duchene without retaining (and you know if that's an option cheap Sens ownership would take the other deal).

So not quite fair, but definitely not god awful.

Also, as mentioned in another thread. Jets fans don't seem thrilled with the idea of adding Duchene for whatever reason, I think they'd rather make a move for a Brassard type as a pure rental (Jets fans, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong on this one).

Jets fans dont want to give up a 1st round pick and would rather add depth

I wouldnt mind duchene if they could keep him

Also jets favour good locker room character

Havent heard great things about duchene in that category but I dont jnwo the guy well enough to have an opinion on that

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Pretty much the Evander Kane package plus Logan Stanley who is probably worth a second rounder so sounds about the right value, if anything not quite enough

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
This is where I see it going as well.
Especially considering the Jets past, and rumoured current, interest in Brassard.
Though, personally, I don’t think he’d really do anything for the team. Might as well just keep Little at 2C and save the assets.

Yupp. Aiming for brassard is pointless

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I think that's fair.

That might be more fair but I don't think the Jets could/should give up cheapish good young players. What about either Little or Perrault, they're both still pretty good (better then the guys you named) and signed to good (not great) contracts that the Jets won't have room for especially if they want to re-sign Duchene.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Honest question here. What is Petan at this point? I liked him coming out of junior, but right now he looks like the definition of a tweener player who just isn't quite good enough for the NHL. Is there still any hope this kid can pan out as a top-six forward?

The tweener assessment is definitely valid. I've never been high on Petan until this year, in his limited minutes he's looked very good. Numbers haven't shown what he's done on the ice but I'm still not convinced he'll be a top 6 guy. Winnipegs forward depth has him buried but he's impressed me more than I thougt he would this season so it's not entirely out of the question. I'd say more than likely becomes a middle 6 guy who can probably be a decent PP2 contributer given more of an opportunity.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We already have a Duchene to the Jets thread, don’t need two. Merged

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Could someone please give me a scouting report on Dzingel. Embarrassed to say I've never heard of him and dont know what he brings to the table... thanks in advance :)

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Could someone please give me a scouting report on Dzingel. Embarrassed to say I've never heard of him and dont know what he brings to the table... thanks in advance :)

Fringe top-6 winger who will leave you wanting more. He's got great speed but lacks top end skill to be a surefire 1st liner. He'll look good on a contender's second/third line for extra scoring.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Contending teams don't usually give up contributing roster players at the TDL. So, none of the players you listed will be available for a rental. They can ask, but they won't get.

That's garbage, sorry. In this case, the Jets would be flipping a roster player for a much better roster player.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
That might be more fair but I don't think the Jets could/should give up cheapish good young players. What about either Little or Perrault, they're both still pretty good (better then the guys you named) and signed to good (not great) contracts that the Jets won't have room for especially if they want to re-sign Duchene.

That would work if additional picks were involved, but I can easily see other teams beating those offers, and don't both those players have NMCs?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
That's garbage, sorry. In this case, the Jets would be flipping a roster player for a much better roster player.
Nope. Not for a rental. The idea of a rental is to make your team deeper. You don't give up a roster player for a rental. Sorry that hurts your feelings.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Fringe top-6 winger who will leave you wanting more. He's got great speed but lacks top end skill to be a surefire 1st liner. He'll look good on a contender's second/third line for extra scoring.
Fringe top 6 that will put up 30 goals and speed to burn? Guess you have to be a 40 goal guy to solidify yourself as a top six on your team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad