Proposal: Duchene to Winnipeg, Stone to Calgary, Dzingel & Pageau to Edmonton, Ceci to Minnesota

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Yes for a rental, especially if it drastically increases their chances of winning the Cup.
Nope, not happening. Duchene wouldn't "drastically" improve the Jets or anyone else's chances of winning the Cup. You are dramatically over rating the impact of rental players.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nilsson just good? He's had like a .960sv% in his past 5 games! I guess that's all because of the most criminally underrated shutdown centre in NHL history

Watch hockey.

Its all Nilsson(.930sv%). The Sens are still allowing 30+ SA per game and a GM isn't going to care if JP had one good playoff series 2 years ago.
Top 10 shut down centre....please. What great conspiracy theory have you got for his lack of Selke votes? Haha
Will not get a first

Clearly unfamilliar with Pageau stop commenting its embarassing and he isnt getting traded so there is no point in this discussion.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Other than the fact that his brother plays for us, Stone isn't really a great fit in CGY.

1) He would be a pure rental
2) His skillset overlaps immensely with Tkachuk and you'd be stuck making both players worse because there is only so much PP icetime (And we don't want to piss off Tkachuk, a future captain type)
3) Every line in our top 9 has a slower footed player already - Monahan, Tkachuk, Neal. You can't have two of these and expect success - lines need balance.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Nope, not happening. Duchene wouldn't "drastically" improve the Jets or anyone else's chances of winning the Cup. You are dramatically over rating the impact of rental players.

Oh boy. Why would teams trade for rentals then? Why do you see all this excitement during the deadline? It's because teams are making a final push to make their teams as competitive as they can. Adding Duchene for the cost of a roster player like Roslovic/Copp along with some futures to account for the differences in asset value is the market model for trading.

Also, Duchene is a 1C who's PPG this year. Centering your second line, what more can you ask for.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Oh boy. Why would teams trade for rentals then? Why do you see all this excitement during the deadline? It's because teams are making a final push to make their teams as competitive as they can. Adding Duchene for the cost of a roster player like Roslovic/Copp along with some futures to account for the differences in asset value is the market model for trading.

Also, Duchene is a 1C who's PPG this year. Centering your second line, what more can you ask for.
It's just you're over rating the difference one player makes. This isn't the NBA where the team with the best one player wins. Somebody posted some stats on how much difference a really good TDL acquisition makes and if I remember correctly it increases your chances by less than 3%.

I like Duchene and all, but I worry about his character issues and that he'd be more disruptive than helpful.

So, for those reasons, I would take Duchene, but only at a reasonable price consisting of mostly futures. If it is more than that, we'll just have to make due.

PikeyIsaac

Jan 24, 2019
Other than the fact that his brother plays for us, Stone isn't really a great fit in CGY.

1) He would be a pure rental
2) His skillset overlaps immensely with Tkachuk and you'd be stuck making both players worse because there is only so much PP icetime (And we don't want to piss off Tkachuk, a future captain type)
3) Every line in our top 9 has a slower footed player already - Monahan, Tkachuk, Neal. You can't have two of these and expect success - lines need balance.

?Stone is a great fit on most teams. I completely agree with your assessment of us not being a fast team, which is why I think is the biggest reason Stone fits. We don’t play a fast game, we play a smart puck possession type of game which suits Stone perfectly.
I also think it’s a stretch to think your going to piss off Tkachuk by giving him a line mate like Stone.
Lastly I don’t think he could be a pure rental, Neal has to go to make it work, but I think it can be done.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Honest question here. What is Petan at this point? I liked him coming out of junior, but right now he looks like the definition of a tweener player who just isn't quite good enough for the NHL. Is there still any hope this kid can pan out as a top-six forward?

Guy put up a Point Per Game in the AHL last year, has played 13 hockey games since. He needs to play on a team where he gets a real opportunity before I'd even begin to consider him a tweener or a bust. There'st still value there, but probably not much time until there isn't.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Here are some comparables used for the trades suggested in the OP.

1. Duchene for Laurent Brossoit + 2019 1st round pick + 2020 2nd round pick + Mathieu Perreault (4.125M x 3 years)

- Derick Brassard + 2018 3rd round pick to PittsBurgh for Ian Cole (2.1M x 1 year) + Filip Gustavsson + 2018 1st round pick (K’Andre Miller) + 2019 3rd round pick
- Brayden Schenn to St. Louis for Jori Lehtera (4.7M x 2 years) + 2017 1st round pick (Morgan Frost) + 2018 1st round pick (Joel Farabee)
- Matt Duchene to Ottawa for Kyle Turris (Girard + Kamenev + 2nd) + Shane Bowers + Andrew Hammond + 2019 1st round pick + 2019 3rd round pick
- Paul Stastny to Winnipeg for Erik Foley + 2018 1st round pick (Dominik Bokk) + 2020 4th round pick

2. Mark Stone for Rasmus Andersson + 2019 1st round pick + 2020 1st round pick + James Neal (5.75M x 5 years)

- David Clarkson (5.25M x 3 years) + 2017 1st round pick (Kristian Vesalainen) + 2019 2nd round pick to Vegas for future considerations
- Mikhail Grabovski (5M x 1 year) + Jake Bischoff + 2017 1st round pick (Erik Brannstrom) + 2019 2nd round pick to Vegas for future considerations
- Bryan Bickell (4M x 1 year) + Teuvo Teravainen to Carolina for 2016 2nd round pick (Artur Kayumov) + 2017 3rd round pick (Keith Petruzzelli)
- David Bolland (5.5M x 3 years) + Lawson Crouse to Arizona for 2017 conditional 3rd round pick (Max Gildon) + 2018 conditional 2nd round pick (Serron Noel)

3. Ryan Dzingel + JG Pageau (50% salary retained - 1.55M x 2) for 2019 1st round pick + 2020 2nd round pick + Ryan Spooner (3.1M x 2)

- Lars Eller to Washington for 2017 2nd round pick (Joni Ikonen) + 2018 2nd round pick (Jacob Olofsson)
- Andrew Shaw to Montreal for 2016 2nd round pick (Chad Krys) + 2018 2nd round pick (Alex Debrincat)
- Tomas Tatar to Vegas for 2018 1st round pick (Joe Veleno) + 2019 2nd round pick + 2021 3rd round pick
- Evander Kane to San Jose for Daniel O'Regan + 2019 conditional 1st round pick + 2020 4th round pick
- Michael Grabner for Yegor Rykov + 2018 2nd round pick (Jonny Tychonick)

4) Cody Ceci for Charlie Coyle

- Adam Henrique + Joseph Blandisi + 2018 3rd round pick (Lukas Dostal) for Sami Vatanen + 2019 3rd round pick
- Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones
- Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Now you can take this proposal to VAN now that they have Spooner.
They might give OTT their 1st+2nd along with Spooner for Pageau+Dzingle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad