Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
Would have signed Turris for $6M and traded for MD.

Having said that , i am fine with this deal just don't think it accomplish much besides perhaps a little added excitement

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I think you guys will really like Duchene. Take care of him. He's a very talented player. Now he's out of Colorado, in Canada...I think he'll do really well. He's had some very poor linemates over the years in Colorado.

Any info on Bowers?
Bowers will be a 3rd liner, character guy.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Maybe just maybe the SENS didn't believe in Kyle Turris as a #1 C and didn't think that he was going to he a guy to help Kalrsson etc get to the cup.

Instead they got a guy who they do like who is younger and just entering his prime years in a situation that is better for him.

Great trade!!

Gonna miss Turris what an awesome guy but he was a #2C.

Very happy about this!

Sens turned Runblad into Matt Duchene!

Agreed that ultimately Turris isn't the guy that can lead you to a cup (last season is probably as far as we'll get with him in our 1c role...even obviously id he hadn't been traded) not convinced that Duchene is better than Turris. Hope he accepts his new team and hasn't been too damaged by the losing culture in Colorado to at least make him equal to Turris in a worst case scenario.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Essentially we just traded Bowers, a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick to dump Hammond and turn 1 year of Turris into 2 years of Duchene. If they can't sign Turris to 6x6 I won't expect Duchene to be re-signed until I see indications to the contrary. I guess if it's clear in autumn 2018 that Karlsson will walk in UFA 2019 there's enough money to re-sign Duchene at least, but that's not something I want to think about. I'll reserve judgment until I see how much better or worse Duchene is than Turris, but my first impression certainly is that this is a bad trade.

"They'll never sign Ryan"
"They'll never sign Hoffman"

Do you seriously think they'll let Duchene walk for nothing in 2 years?

Reactions: Xspyrit and Boud

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think you guys will really like Duchene. Take care of him. He's a very talented player. Now he's out of Colorado, in Canada...I think he'll do really well. He's had some very poor linemates over the years in Colorado.

Any info on Bowers?

I honestly don't know if that is any better. :laugh:

May be on a better team, but he is now in a town where the media and even the fans will go crazy if he stinks.

Thankfully he is not on the leafs due to the fact that the Leafs media and fans can get 10x more crazier, but the Sens media also has their fair share of being annoying.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Agreed that ultimately Turris isn't the guy that can lead you to a cup (last season is probably as far as we'll get with him in our 1c role...even obviously id he hadn't been traded) not convinced that Duchene is better than Turris. Hope he accepts his new team and hasn't been too damaged by the losing culture in Colorado to at least make him equal to Turris in a worst case scenario.
They're both equals, but we gave up enough that you'd think it would be for a clear upgrade.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I'm a fan of this trade.. losing a 1st, like someone said earlier, is not cool but it's also not the worst thing. We have. Chabot, Chlapik, White, Brown, and Formenton.
Come on guys, we're fine.
Duchene is a better player than Turris.
He's FAST. What do we need offensively? Speed. Turris looks like a snail out there. Imagine him 6 years from now? Gosh.

And do we really think Turris would have done much better than Duchene in Colorado last year? Please. That's silly talk

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Is the general consensus here positive or negative? The main board thread seems to point out how Ottawa is the clear loser. However, you brought in a star forward (I still think he can be) without losing Chabot/Brown/White. It seems like Turris and the team had made up their minds and there wasn't much of a chance of him re-signing. The 1st hurts, but overall I think Ottawa gets better without losing a premier piece.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
My take on the extra picks are that Col wanted one of our big prospect in White Brown, etc. We have settle to Bowers but added the 1st...

Than we wanted to get rid of Hammond to and they said yes but we had to added a pick which became the 3rd.

That would be the logic behind those picks, IMO.

Now, it's up to debate if it was worth it.

What is sure, i am pumped and excited to see Duchesne

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Mixed feelings about this trade.

Obviously excited to get Duchene, but I'm gonna miss Turris a lot. Also, not a fan of giving up a first round pick this early in the season in case it winds up being a lottery pick. I don't think we'll miss the playoffs, but you never know.

Losing Hammond will hopefully allow for Hogberg and Driedger to get more ice time. I think Bowers will develop into a solid third line centre, but I don't think it's a huge loss. Better than losing one Chabot, White, Brown, Chlapik, etc.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I'm not sure how much this actually improves the team this year: Duchene is probably better than Turris, but not by a whole lot.

This is hard to evaluate without context:

Would Turris have signed here for 6x6?
Will Duchene be extended at a reasonable cost?

If the answer to the first question is 'no' OR the answer to the second question is 'yes', than this trade doesn't look very good to me. Hopefully Duchene signs a long-term extension and we don't have to spend the next 6 years wondering if we could have just kept Turris.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm a fan of this trade.. losing a 1st, like someone said earlier, is not cool but it's also not the worst thing. We have. Chabot, Chlapik, White, Brown, and Formenton.
Come on guys, we're fine.
Duchene is a better player than Turris.
He's FAST. What do we need offensively? Speed. Turris looks like a snail out there. Imagine him 6 years from now? Gosh.

And do we really think Turris would have done much better than Duchene in Colorado last year? Please. That's silly talk

Yeah, I always thought Turris was an awkward fit for Boucher's system, especially as a 1C. No doubt, he's a smart talented player and made it work for the most part, but he doesn't quite have the size or speed to truly thrive under Boucher.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
"They'll never sign Ryan"
"They'll never sign Hoffman"

Do you seriously think they'll let Duchene walk for nothing in 2 years?

That looks like the plan to me seeing as we just shipped out someone a few years older than Duchene because of the risk of committing longterm to him.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
They're both equals, but we gave up enough that you'd think it would be for a clear upgrade.
Agreed, though I will give him a fair chance to impress as a new player, and I'll give Dorion and Boucher a chance on this one as clearly this was a player they were targeting and see as a piece that can fit into the puzzle. Maybe if we make a secondary move for another player I'll have more confidence because as it stands we didn't really add anything, just changed one player for another.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Is the general consensus here positive or negative? The main board thread seems to point out how Ottawa is the clear loser. However, you brought in a star forward (I still think he can be) without losing Chabot/Brown/White. It seems like Turris and the team had made up their minds and there wasn't much of a chance of him re-signing. The 1st hurts, but overall I think Ottawa gets better without losing a premier piece.
I'm 50/50 on it. in some ways it doesn't make sense but we'll find out later on what's happening. It's not clear Duchene is better than Turris in alot of people's opinion but when contracts and agents and gm's get in the way this is what happens.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That looks like the plan to me seeing as we just shipped out someone a few years older than Duchene because of the risk of committing longterm to him.

Want to teach me your mindreading/farseeing powers?

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
He had to go.

We need a management team who wants to win.

Love turris still. Great trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad