Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Is the general consensus here positive or negative? The main board thread seems to point out how Ottawa is the clear loser. However, you brought in a star forward (I still think he can be) without losing Chabot/Brown/White. It seems like Turris and the team had made up their minds and there wasn't much of a chance of him re-signing. The 1st hurts, but overall I think Ottawa gets better without losing a premier piece.
Main board is always moronic. I don’t care
About losing another bowers in that first rounder. Late firsts have much less value

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Duchene has a higher ceiling than Turris and is the de facto best player in the trade. Dorion gave up a lot, Sakic got a boatload of goodies, but the real winner is Poile - 6 years of Turris @ $6M for facilitating the trade while making his team an immediate contender for the cup.

As a Sens fan, after the exit in Round 3, I was calling for a number 1 centre as a requirement for this team. Dorion did that, without losing Chabot or White. I am excited to see what Duchene can do under Boucher, curious to see how Karlsson and Duchene perform together on ice.

Duchene was behind McKinnon in Col wasn't he? He wasn't the #1 centre on one of the worse teams in the NHL. We'll see if he changes this team for the better or not & if he can even out play Brassard.

An underreported part of this deal is that with Hammond going, Hogberg may get some opportunity in Belleville now.

Well, don't forget they still have Taylor & Dreidger in Bellville. If they are both healthy he could find himself back in the ECHL this yr. It's next yr when I think Dreidger may not be re-signed & Hogberg should get some backup time if they re-sign Taylor.

I'm happy! This is shocking..

Avs got a hell of a deal. But man do I like this from Ottawa.. Turris as #1C wasn't getting us anywhere, Duchene has that game breaking offensive ability that could take us from a middle of the pack team to a great team.

Turris as the #1 centre got Ottawa to the Conference finals just last yr. Duchene with that game breaking offensive ability couldn't get Col out of the basement. We'll see by the end of the yr if this deal has helped or not. If not, PD/GB could be in trouble but I expect they will do everything they can to make Duchene successful here to assure the deal is seen as successful. My guess is that Hoffman & Stone could play with him to start, Turris had Dzingel for the last few games.

Reactions: Cosmix

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
That looks like the plan to me seeing as we just shipped out someone a few years older than Duchene because of the risk of committing longterm to him.
I think that was more of a case of committing long term to Turris the player rather than the age he is at currently and the age he would be at the end of the contract. Which isn't to say that those weren't factors, but they seem more related to Turris the player imo.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We paid 1st+3rd to lose Bowers instead of Chabot, White, Brown, Chlapik etc (particularly White)

We are going for it the next two years. We don't need Bowers. We might need White
If the team was trying to be a contender over the next few years, they should have kept Turris and acquired Duchene for futures such as Bowers, Englund, Harpur, or first round pick.

Reactions: Uchiha

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Just like i ignored Condons terrible year on the Habs when they completely fell apart a couple of years ago, i will ignore Duchenes bad season last year on a terrible team.

Fresh start for him. Lets see what he can do.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm a fan of this trade.. losing a 1st, like someone said earlier, is not cool but it's also not the worst thing. We have. Chabot, Chlapik, White, Brown, and Formenton.
Come on guys, we're fine.
Duchene is a better player than Turris.
He's FAST. What do we need offensively? Speed. Turris looks like a snail out there. Imagine him 6 years from now? Gosh.

And do we really think Turris would have done much better than Duchene in Colorado last year? Please. That's silly talk

I'm sorry, but are we an elite team like Pittsburgh that can just part ways with #1 picks like they're candy? The answer is no.

We're not as deep as some think, especially up front, and we are throwing in picks left and right for minor(if at all) upgrades. Even if Duchene were to be a slight improvement, it's not worth giving up so many additional pieces, especially since he isn't signed long term. Usually, trading players on such short-term contracts like what Dutchy is on, doesn't get you a treasure trove of picks and pieces, but Dorion seems to think we're on the verge of winning the cup so here we are.

Reactions: Cosmix and Uchiha

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Context matters, having Duchene signed an extra year IMO is huge and he is a small but appreciable upgrade over Turris

Giving up the 1st was IMO the only thing that sucked, Bowers was expendable at this point given our prospect depth (Brown White Chlapik) at C

This is a deal Dorion had to make, which I'd imagine is partially why he got fleeced. Anybody assessing the situation can see the spot he's in. Expectations are super high due to the Senators run last year, they are a budget team who 3+ years down the line might have trouble fitting guys in if they commit to Turris, and they are auditioning for a Karlsson extension so going into next season with Brass+Pageau as the top 2 centres would be absolutely unacceptable.

I guess the positive we can take from this is that as long as we make the playoffs, we didn't give up any franchise changing pieces.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If the team was trying to be a contender over the next few years, they should have kept Turris and acquired Duchene for futures such as Bowers, Englund, Harpur, or first round pick.
And then signed:

Karlsson for ~12ish
Sone for 7ish
Turris for 6
Duchene for 6

Yeah, I wonder why we couldn't do that?

Reactions: Pocket Dog

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We paid a ton . Would have been nice to keep Turris and add.

Somewhat of a lateral move imo.

Obviously Dorion wasn't signing Turris

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm a fan of this trade.. losing a 1st, like someone said earlier, is not cool but it's also not the worst thing. We have. Chabot, Chlapik, White, Brown, and Formenton.
Come on guys, we're fine.
Duchene is a better player than Turris.
He's FAST. What do we need offensively? Speed. Turris looks like a snail out there. Imagine him 6 years from now? Gosh.

And do we really think Turris would have done much better than Duchene in Colorado last year? Please. That's silly talk

You could try to make a logical argument that Duchene is better than Turris; however you wind up destroying your credibility by saying Turris is a snail.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
And then signed:

Karlsson for ~12ish
Sone for 7ish
Turris for 6
Duchene for 6

Phaneuf + Ryan are still on the team. You're either going all in or not. Looks like he's not

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
And then signed:

Karlsson for ~12ish
Sone for 7ish
Turris for 6
Duchene for 6

I mean... why couldn't we wait until closer to the trade deadline and see where we are in the standings and then make a judgement call - "lets go for it" or "nah lets look for a replacement at the center position"?

Because before we shipped Turris out - he was at 3.5, Stone was at 3.5, Karlsson at 6.5, Anderson at 4.2 (lower cap hit, goes up next season), Ceci at 2.8, Wideman at 800k, Claesson at 650k.

Outside of Karlsson these are guys getting new contracts this coming offseason. None of them is going to stay at their amount or go lower. They are all getting raises.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Out
Turris $4m (Salary)
Hammond $1.5m (Salary)

In
Duchane $6m Salary

Giving up picks sucks, but our late 1st rounders don't always pan out for us.
For every Karlsson, there are 5 Cowens.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Turris was good but i think this is a pretty solid upgrade for you guys at the most important position. Plus it's just a good shot in the arm for the fan base and sends the message that the management is looking to win now.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Sens obviously overpaid, and it seems like a lateral move, but I like the deal. Only thing I didn't consider up until now is the lack of playoff experience Duchene has. Ottawa has to be better from this...Crazy that they flipped their top two C's in the past 2 years.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I get some of you are thrilled you got a shiny new toy but some of us are wondering what the point of this was.

Go dive into the Senators long term outlook on capfriendly.com. There's some very real justification for this kind of move. It's still a panic move where we got fleeced that could look very bad down the line.

I also think though, that deep down Dorion is a bit high on his own supply and feels that this move puts us over the top. That Turris was a sunk cost, and this is Dahlen for Burrows on a bigger scale. Dorion doesn't care if Bowers will be an excellent middle 6 forward 6 years from now. He's a very aggressive GM and he probably thinks this teams window is now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is the general consensus here positive or negative? The main board thread seems to point out how Ottawa is the clear loser. However, you brought in a star forward (I still think he can be) without losing Chabot/Brown/White. It seems like Turris and the team had made up their minds and there wasn't much of a chance of him re-signing. The 1st hurts, but overall I think Ottawa gets better without losing a premier piece.

Dorion got fleeced. Again! Turris plus Bowers (1st round pick) plus first round pick plus 3rd round pick plus Hammond (salary dump) for Duchene is not good asset management.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Should have found a way to trade Ryan or Phaneuf and roll with Duchene & Turris.

That's what a good GM would do.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I dont think its that bad. We gave up futures and still have a pretty decent prospect pool for defense and center.

It really all depends on how he plays here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad