Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
i don't like giving up the chance of potentially handing over Hughes next season and while the odds may not be great seeing the Avalanche having the number 1 choice would be a heart breaker
The way i look at is that we make up for passing on number 4 by getting the assets from Duchene and Stone.
I am also a gambling man.

As a Leafs fan, nobody deserves having their top pick chosen by another team.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't click that this was a thread bump.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not much of substance there, but it sounds like they haven't attempted to negotiate anything. Interesting strategy.

I can't get the interview to work on mobile, so I don't know what he said, but assuming it's accurate that he hasn't sat down to talk an extension, that's interesting because there was a report maybe a month or so ago that the Sens planned to sit down with Duchene a week from then with the implication being theyd do it after a Karl trade goes down.

So what's the take away from that?

Either something has changed since then and we don't have the to ahead to sign any long term extensions. (Full or partial sale?)

Or, Duchene wants the Karl situation resolved before considering a long term commitment?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I can't get the interview to work on mobile, so I don't know what he said, but assuming it's accurate that he hasn't sat down to talk an extension, that's interesting because there was a report maybe a month or so ago that the Sens planned to sit down with Duchene a week from then with the implication being theyd do it after a Karl trade goes down.

Either something has changed since then and we don't have the to ahead to sign any long term extensions. (Full or partial sale?)

Or, Duchene wants the Karl situation resolved before considering a long term commitment?

I will paraphrase what he said.

Basically, he isn't worried about contract talk. He has still 1 year and ''honestly'' didn't thought about it..
He is focusing on the beginning of the season ans that's what matter, right now.
He is exciting about the group who he think is better then what people think. He is exciting to came back with the boys who he believe are ready to work hard together.
He said eh chatted with Dorion this summer ( from my understanding, it was more hockey related ). He had good word for Dorion. He said he was an awesome guy, doing a ''good' job, working hard, enjoy chatting with him.
He like it here, it's near his home, etc.

Like I said, those are not is exact words. but it give the general idea.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

He didn't say much of substance really. I felt like it was a positive endorsement of staying, but also that there's been no negotiations on a new deal. Whatever was said about negotiating after July 1 sounds like it has been abandoned at the moment.

-He has communicated with Pierre this summer, who he said he is very fond of dealing with, but made it sound more general than any contract negotiations.
-Not concerned (claimed he hasn't thought about it at all) about a new contract, but would like to stay because of various reasons like Canadian city and close to home.
-Thinks the team is better than being given credit for.

My takeaway from it is that there's been no negotiations to this point, so don't expect a deal to be signed anytime soon.

Reactions: Vprime

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Given the summer we've been having and the priority presumably being on EK, Stone and Ceci... I get it. I don't like it, but it's not the most egregious thing in the world that no offer's been made yet.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This reminds me of the Alfredsson situation in that when he left for Detroit the org immediately swung a deal to bring in Ryan & were then kind of forced to sign him to a long term deal which at the time most on here wanted.

We are now in a situation whereby EK could possibly get traded & leave town. The Sens made a somewhat controversial deal moving Turris & assets for Duchene & IMO are now in a similar situation where they need to sign him long term due to the assets that were given up for him. It would be a PR disaster after given up Turris & literally two first rd picks for Duchene not to re-sign him or have to trade him & potentially get less back. IMO they build around Duchene & Stone & trade EK for as many assets as possbile.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Given the summer we've been having and the priority presumably being on EK, Stone and Ceci... I get it. I don't like it, but it's not the most egregious thing in the world that no offer's been made yet.
That would make more sense if we'd gotten more done with those 3, but as we stand now nothing has changed with EK and arbitration dictated the other two, so it doesn't seem like there was much negotiation happening there either.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I remember people on here bitching & complaining about Ryan getting extended & then it finally happened & now people are bitching & complaining about what a terrible contract it is. :laugh:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I remember people on here *****ing & complaining about Ryan getting extended & then it finally happened & now people are *****ing & complaining about what a terrible contract it is. :laugh:
This is true, but we can't say this every time a player is up for a new contract. We'll have to commit to star players at some point if we ever want to go anywhere. Some work out, some don't, we just have to hope we invest in the right people.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion isn't so busy over the summer that he can't negotiate with Duchene. It's not a time-management issue.

I am not a fan of Dorion by any means but even I know he's not stupid enough to put off re-signing his team's 3rd best player.

Far more likely that Duchene doesn't want to seriously negotiate until the Karlsson situation gets resolved. Was probably the case for Stone as well. Why sign a long-term deal before you have to right before the team makes the most important move in it's history?

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is true, but we can't say this every time a player is up for a new contract. We'll have to commit to star players at some point if we ever want to go anywhere. Some work out, some don't, we just have to hope we invest in the right people.
Of course determining who the right people are at this time can be debatable. I would invest in Duchene & Stone long term but not EK at this time. EK is demanding way too much money at a time when the team will not be a contender & that money could be better used to upgrade more positions. The drama around EK is also a nuisance & disruption this team cannot afford given there is enough drama around the owner & the team as a whole seem so fragile.

I also think that trading EK could bring back a few more assets that would help build this team into a contender sooner. IMO they have a decent prospect pool & it's time to re-build with the prospects in the organization, time to build for the future. They can commit to the prospects that become star players rather than EK at this time.

Reactions: pzeeman

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I remember people on here *****ing & complaining about Ryan getting extended & then it finally happened & now people are *****ing & complaining about what a terrible contract it is. :laugh:
Those two complaints aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, the interesting thing about a forum is you get points of view from multiple people, many of which contradict eachother.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Of course determining who the right people are at this time can be debatable. I would invest in Duchene & Stone long term but not EK at this time. EK is demanding way too much money at a time when the team will not be a contender & that money could be better used to upgrade more positions. The drama around EK is also a nuisance & disruption this team cannot afford given there is enough drama around the owner & the team as a whole seem so fragile.

I also think that trading EK could bring back a few more assets that would help build this team into a contender sooner. IMO they have a decent prospect pool & it's time to re-build with the prospects in the organization, time to build for the future. They can commit to the prospects that become star players rather than EK at this time.

I really don't understand your point of view.

First, I don't really understand the why EK would be asking for ''way too much money'' when really value of players is determined by the market. EK is the best defensemen in the NHL, a top 5 player in the league and is looking at a contract similar to what Drew Doughty is getting paid. The problem right now with the contract seems to be more on the terms of the bonus structure than the money getting paid. We have no idea what Stone and Duchene are looking for in terms of contract, so it seems odd to say ''Karlsson is looking for too much, we should sign Stone and Duchene instead'' when really it isn't known how much they ask for. You can bet that if Stone and Duchene have a good season they will be looking at a long term 8-9M per year contract. I'd much rather have EK at 11-12 and ditch Zack Smith than have Matt Duchene at 8-9M per season.

Karlsson plays 30 minutes a night, Duchene and Stone play 20 minutes a night. Their impact is not comparable. One of the player is on the ice 50%(!!!) more than the other ones, no doubt he'll get paid accordingly that's just normal and representative of what he brings to the team. Not only that but Karlsson is significantly better than Duchene and I'll always take a defensemen over a winger even if Stone is my favourite player on the team. Personally, I just don't see how the team is in a better position with Stone+Duchene compared to Karlsson+ Stone for example.

As for the drama, I don't think we have enough information on the situation to say that Karlsson is a distraction. For what it's worth other hockey players wives have come out and mentioned how it didn't surprise them that Caryk would do that. In reality, Karlsson has legitimately done nothing. He lost his baby and his wife is getting mocked on the internet by some lowlife. How is that fair to Karlsson to be mentioned as a distraction to the team because of that?

Also, if you think there is drama around the organization now just wait until we trade Karlsson and we're the laughing stock of the NHL when he wins yet another Norris and all we're left with is some prospect and picks. Unless Karlsson agrees to an extension with another team prior to getting traded we`re not getting any impactful pieces back on the current roster ... hopefully a nice pick and prospect.

Reactions: Sensung

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I wouldn't mind keeping Duchene if we can get him at 7.0-7.5 or a similar range. He's very toolsy.
Anyone remember what happened with Spezza? Yeah, he ended up traded to Dallas and it was rumoured he'd asked for a trade, but were there even any discussions? Ah, an article here said Jason basically wanted out, so not much of an effort.
Man, I can't imagine losing Duchene though, unless the team tailspins. He's gotta be the guy they build around.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Does Pierre not understand that he's the one who's supposed to approach players about contracts? It's like he just sits in Orleans expecting them to come to him. Remember the "Kyle never offered us that same deal" comment? Well maybe you should've offered it to him...

We traded two first round picks (one of which is awfully likely to be top 4) for this Duchene and we didn't even talk contract with him this summer? Incompetence.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Just once I'd like to see a player say something like "yeah I'm worried about my contract, it's all I think about day and night"

Like Seguin?

"Nothing’s really going on," Seguin said. "It’s been a little disappointing. I thought I’d have some exciting news to talk about at BioSteel Camp, especially this late in the summer. It’s been disappointing. But at the end of the day, I obviously have one year left here. I’m just going to focus on that."

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We traded two first round picks (one of which is awfully likely to be top 4) for this Duchene.

I think this team is going to surprise some people this year. I mean... I'm not saying we're going to be a playoff team, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us (and by extension, Colorado) drafting around the 10-12th overall spot next year.

Everything that could go wrong last year did. I don't think this is a good team by any stretch, I'm not saying we're anything more than a bubble team at most, but I also don't think we're a bottom-3 team on an average day.

Reactions: Deku and pzeeman

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think this team is going to surprise some people this year. I mean... I'm not saying we're going to be a playoff team, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us (and by extension, Colorado) drafting around the 10-12th overall spot next year.

Everything that could go wrong last year did. I don't think this is a good team by any stretch, I'm not saying we're anything more than a bubble team at most, but I also don't think we're a bottom-3 team on an average day.

I think that depends on how a few things play out. but yes I certainly agree that the potential is there for an upside surprise. We need any two of our young guys to come along and post solid rookie seasons. I think if that happens up front we have enough offence and I think Chabot is going to move forward a lot

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

If you can only keep two of the three you have to get rid of Stone.

#1D and C are far more important than any winger. Plus, Mark would bring back a solid return.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yes it would be nice if at some point we could resigned our star players like other teams do. because if we dont whats the purpose to even have a franchise? we are becoming a farm team for other NHL teams.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Does Pierre not understand that he's the one who's supposed to approach players about contracts? It's like he just sits in Orleans expecting them to come to him. Remember the "Kyle never offered us that same deal" comment? Well maybe you should've offered it to him...

We traded two first round picks (one of which is awfully likely to be top 4) for this Duchene and we didn't even talk contract with him this summer? Incompetence.

That's GM talk though. You're accusing Pierre of not being proactive when he was in fact incredibly proactive to achieving his chosen goal. It's just that his chosen goal was to acquire Duchene, and he couldn't afford both Duchene and Turris. Dorion was stalling Turris out until the Duchene was traded to Ottawa or elsewhere. He can't come out and say that he can't afford both, or if he believes Turris will decline he can't straight up say that he thinks Turris is 4 years away from breaking down.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I think that depends on how a few things play out. but yes I certainly agree that the potential is there for an upside surprise. We need any two of our young guys to come along and post solid rookie seasons. I think if that happens up front we have enough offence and I think Chabot is going to move forward a lot

Also need some injury luck and Andy to be "good Andy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad