Proposal: Duchene to Dallas

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Is Duchene's value more or less equivalent to Brassards? Point pace over the last 3 seasons favor Duchene by 5 pts (55 vs 50) over 82 gp, Brassard had an extra year at a smaller cap hit though.

Definitely more, I'd say. Duchene is more skilled and talented than Brassard, and their career stats show as much. Duchene is a 1B/2A center, whereas Brassard is more of a 2B/3A IMO.

Not really great comparables.

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
So uh, I would imagine OTT is not the type of team to do a deal like this but anyway...

To Dal: MD, Stone. Neither extended.

To OTT: next two 1st, Robertson, Dellandrea, Hanzal.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Way too much to move for both unextended. Too risky for a team with too many question marks.

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
Benn Seguin Stone
Nich Duchene Rad
Janmark Spezza Pitlick
Comedy Faksa ???

Plus our solid d and goalies. I think that is contention immediately. And we don’t give up roster players. Idk. I’d have to think long and hard. We would still have our future goalies and hintz. Plus a couple decent winger prospects in guru and tufte. if This is a win now team.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
i know right , a 30 goals + scorer is clearly not worth a bluechip prospect lmao right XD XD XD

He hit 30 goals once (not 30+ either, just 30) and has broken 60 points just twice. So no, he isn't worth Heiskanen. If Karlsson can't get Heiskanen, I would bet my life Duchene wouldn't either. He's a #2C

Reactions: Robert Kentwood

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Hintz, Shore, Honka wasn't enough for EK, sounds about right for a 2C.

Hintz value high right now. TBH, Not entirely sure we want to trade him. But, OTT should want him more than Robertson. If not, Stars happy to trade him instead.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
How much do people think Duchene will get on the open market? $6m x 6yrs?
Really depends on how he performs this season. He will probably get more than he makes now (6 million) even with an average season because of his name. If he has a good season he could probably get close to 8 million a year

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
Really depends on how he performs this season. He will probably get more than he makes now (6 million) even with an average season because of his name. If he has a good season he could probably get close to 8 million a year
I mean, he's been pretty consistent as to the player he is, a high 50s point player (I have no problem people calling him a 60pt center).

He signed his last contract when he was at his peak. But he is a UFA so there will be a bidding war. If he puts up another 59points this year (given Ottawa's situation, unless he gets traded), I can't see any team (in their right mind) giving him more than $7mil x 6yrs.

So a fair deal would be $6.5mil x 7yrs? I don't know, maybe I'm being too conservative.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I mean, he's been pretty consistent as to the player he is, a high 50s point player (I have no problem people calling him a 60pt center).

He signed his last contract when he was at his peak. But he is a UFA so there will be a bidding war. If he puts up another 59points this year (given Ottawa's situation, unless he gets traded), I can't see any team (in their right mind) giving him more than $7mil x 6yrs.

So a fair deal would be $6.5mil x 7yrs? I don't know, maybe I'm being too conservative.

Duchene probably getting 7 mil at the minimum on the UFA market. Eriksson and Lucic got 6 mil and Kane got 7 mil. All 3 are way more inferior than Duchene. UFA with the cap going up, under 7 m would be really surprising

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Benn Seguin Stone
Nich Duchene Rad
Janmark Spezza Pitlick
Comedy Faksa ???

Plus our solid d and goalies. I think that is contention immediately. And we don’t give up roster players. Idk. I’d have to think long and hard. We would still have our future goalies and hintz. Plus a couple decent winger prospects in guru and tufte. if This is a win now team.

And if one or both walk, we suddenly go back to potentially being mediocre and with no future to show for it.

Nill is not building this team for only one Cup. He’a building it for continued success. This trade doesn’t fit that at all.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Hintz, Shore, Honka wasn't enough for EK, sounds about right for a 2C.

Hintz value high right now. TBH, Not entirely sure we want to trade him. But, OTT should want him more than Robertson. If not, Stars happy to trade him instead.

I don't remember where, but someone (maybe Friedman) reported that the Stars were unwilling to move Hintz for a rental Karlsson. Also same report with Dellandrea. Unless Duchene comes with an extension I can't see Nill trading Hintz for him. Then again, I could see Duchene signing an extension in a trade so idk maybe

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
And if one or both walk, we suddenly go back to potentially being mediocre and with no future to show for it.

Nill is not building this team for only one Cup. He’a building it for continued success. This trade doesn’t fit that at all.
Gained wasn’t building it for one, but we’ve been hanging our hats on it for nearly twenty years.

All I’m saying is, I think nill has enough mana stored to where he could make something happen after we traded for them. No one does sign and trades in the nhl. Try to pry that package away, and let the chips fall where they may in the playoffs and with signing them. If we rid ourselves of hanzal then we fair better in FA next summer no matter what. And we wouldn’t really feel the effects of the lost assets for a few years. Idk, I think it would be worth it. But obviously, too big of a trade to be practical.

pagegallagher15

Aug 19, 2017
Duchene and Seguin sounds deadly in the former hardest division in the league. With Benn by their side.

I also can see Duchene wanting out of Ottawa, even though his contract is up at the end of the year. Nill really shouldnt give up too much for him for that reason though

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Benn Seguin Stone
Nich Duchene Rad
Janmark Spezza Pitlick
Comedy Faksa ???

Isn't autocorrect just the best? :laugh:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Figured something like this could work

To Dal
Matt Duchene (1yr @6mil)
Zack Smith (3yrs @3.25mil)

To Ottawa
Martin Hanzal (2yrs @4.75 on LTIR for a while this season)
Devin Shore (2yrs @ 2.3mil)
Brett Ritchie (1yr @ 1.75)
2019 1st
Jason Robertson

The assumption is that Duchene would sign an extension in Dallas
Figured
Hanzal = Smith (ottawa save 250k by getting rid of the extra year, the LTIR also benefits what they are trying to do)

Shore, 1st, Robertson = Duchene
Ritchie was a throw in to give Ottawa a dress-able body since Pageau, Hanzal, and Gaborik are out for some extended period of time or likely will be
Could be someone like Elie instead

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Rather simplify it and leave Hanzal and Smith out of the deal. I feel like Hanzal has more to offer when healthy and has a year less.

Shore, 1st, and Robertson seems fair for a year of Duchene

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Rather simplify it and leave Hanzal and Smith out of the deal. I feel like Hanzal has more to offer when healthy and has a year less.

Shore, 1st, and Robertson seems fair for a year of Duchene

Would hope we could get him re-signed though otherwise that could hurt

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Would hope we could get him re-signed though otherwise that could hurt

Agreed, I’d do this contingent upon being able to talk to him beforehand and knowing that there’s at least a good possibility of him signing an extension.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Benn - - - Seguin - - - ____
____ - Duchene - Radulov

For this season, probably something more like:

Benn - Spezza - Seguin
Nichushkin - Duchene - Radulov
Janmark - Faksa - Comeau
Shore - Hintz - Pitlick
2 of Ritchie, Dickinson, Smith, and Elie

If Spezza continues to suck or gets injured, move Seguin into the middle and adjust wingers as needed. Seguin-Duchene down the middle would be much preferable, but Spezza is terrible on the wing and isn’t suited for bottom 6 duty. Seguin doesn’t seem to change much on the wing. Hell, he could even continue to take faceoffs for that line, as he’s grown to be great at them.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Benn - - - Seguin - - - ____
____ - Duchene - Radulov

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin/Spezza/Seguin
Janmark-Duchene-Radulov

I'm liking the sound of that. So much speed. As mentioned above though Spezza is bad on the wing so probably Seguin would have to move to RW which isn't ideal but I could live with it

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We’d have so many great faceoff guys if we get Duchene, especially if Hanzal can ever come back.

Seguin, Duchene, Benn, Spezza, Faksa (sort of) and Hanzal all have great FO percentages.

Small factor, but every edge helps.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We’d have so many great faceoff guys if we get Duchene, especially if Hanzal can ever come back.

Seguin, Duchene, Benn, Spezza, Faksa (sort of) and Hanzal all have great FO percentages.

Small factor, but every edge helps.

Faceoffs don’t lead to more goals though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad