Proposal: Duchene to Dallas

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I couldn't see that at all. Spezza wanted out of Ottawa and that fishbowl in the first place. What possible reason would he have to want to go back now that the team is in absolute shambles with ridiculous drama circling the organization from top to bottom. And while Spezza is on a serious downswing in his career, that would just have him drawing even more ire and criticism from fans than he ever saw before.

The salary isn't even all that different this year. It's $1M actual cash difference, which i guess could be construed as a big deal for Ottawa, but they do still have to get to the cap floor anyway. That million dollar salary difference isn't the real problem there though. It's that Spezza wouldn't want to go back to Ottawa.

Yeah. If you're looking at Duchene, you're probably talking at least a Dellandrea+, or 2019 1st+ sort of package. Other teams out there will be willing to pony up far more than a prospect like Robertson for a borderline #1C. Especially if they're convinced they can get him extended.

Yeah. These "sign and trade" ideas are usually pretty farfetched. Maybe Ottawa lets Dallas talk to Duchene and see if there's going to be enough common ground to get a deal done relatively easily there. Maybe you even have some sort of "agreement in principle" established there. But you're still going to be trading for an impending UFA Duchene, not one with a deal already officially in place.

There's still going to be enough interest in a player of Duchene's caliber to generate a solid return though. Even unsigned.

As of right now I'd consider Robertson possibly our best forward prospect. Dellandrea a little more valuable because of his position though. Robertson is a really underrated guy and is only big weakness is his skating. Believe he led all prospects in points this last prospect tournament, or was for a little while towards the end there. Very impressive showing. I'd be perfectly fine with giving up Dellandrea+ or a 2019 1st+ though if it's an extended Duchene

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Extended Stone for

2019 1st
Robertson
Oettinger
Hanzal(Cap Dump)

I think that’s fair I’d likely do it. Our forward line up would look really good!

Benn - Seguin - Spezza
Nichushkin - Duchene - Radulov
Janmark - Faksa - Comeau
Shore - Dickinson - Pitlick

What does everyone see Duchene getting? 7.500/8?

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I think that’s fair I’d likely do it. Our forward line up would look really good!

Benn - Seguin - Spezza
Nichushkin - Duchene - Radulov
Janmark - Faksa - Comeau
Shore - Dickinson - Pitlick

What does everyone see Duchene getting? 7.500/8?

He said Stone, not Duchene. Would probably do the deal for Duchene, definitely not for Stone.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He said Stone, not Duchene. Would probably do the deal for Duchene, definitely not for Stone.

I would do that deal for either one. Stone at that price would be a steal imo he's an outstanding player, but Duchene definitely fills a bigger hole for us

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
As of right now I'd consider Robertson possibly our best forward prospect. Dellandrea a little more valuable because of his position though. Robertson is a really underrated guy and is only big weakness is his skating. Believe he led all prospects in points this last prospect tournament, or was for a little while towards the end there. Very impressive showing. I'd be perfectly fine with giving up Dellandrea+ or a 2019 1st+ though if it's an extended Duchene

As an outsider who watched a few of the tourny games, I'd agree for right now, Robertson and Hintz are far and away the best 2 forward prospects this team has and are easily the most NHL ready.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
As an outsider who watched a few of the tourny games, I'd agree for right now, Robertson and Hintz are far and away the best 2 forward prospects this team has and are easily the most NHL ready.

Oh for sure. Hintz should be in the NHL this year but who knows how pre-season will work out. He is definitely ready. Robertson definitely needs some work on his skating but he shouldn't be extremely far off or anything as long as he can progress nicely.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean Robertson is a pretty damn good prospect. Dude put up back top back 40 goal season in the OHL and then come out as the top scorer at the traverse city tournament. He also apparently dropped 40 pounds this offseason and came to TC looking like a different man. I think 2019 st + Robertson + something else worth roughly a 2nd would be a pretty damn competitive offer for Duchene

I'm probably just not nearly as high on Robertson as others. To me, he's got a very Michael dal Colle esque profile as a prospect. Very similar problems. Like MDC though, he does certainly put up really nice stats in Jrs. I'm just not altogether convinced he'll transition that easily to the Pro game.

Dellandrea is the other way around entirely. He may not set any scoring records, but his game is just built to translate effectively. He's the bigger prize by a decent margin imo.

PS. Also what??? Robertson had 40lbs to drop this offseason? That doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense to me. He was a super lanky, gangly tall guy even before the offseason really. And adding 40lbs in one offseason is outrageous and definitely not good if it's the opposite. I hadn't heard anything about that, but it doesn't make much sense to me either way.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
PS. Also what??? Robertson had 40lbs to drop this offseason? That doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense to me. He was a super lanky, gangly tall guy even before the offseason really. And adding 40lbs in one offseason is outrageous and definitely not good if it's the opposite. I hadn't heard anything about that, but it doesn't make much sense to me either way.

We talked about Robertson's weight starting from this post and then for another 10-20 after that if you want the details.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As a Stars fan, I would trade the first (OTT should want one). We seem to have more forwards to dangle than D at this time, although OTT probably needs a D with EK gone. Johns is a pretty good piece, better than some Stars fans think. Big, mobile, actually had great zone exit stats, big hits. That kind of player would be a big hit for uh, his big hits, in OTT. When you aren't winning, rev up the crowds with big hits.

I think he and Miro will be a great, balanced pair this year, would hate to give him up, if OTT would take some of our FW prospects instead.

Of course, we may be way off on what MD will bring back in trade. Just because OTT has been fleeced a lot lately, doesn't mean they always will, LOL>

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm probably just not nearly as high on Robertson as others. To me, he's got a very Michael dal Colle esque profile as a prospect. Very similar problems. Like MDC though, he does certainly put up really nice stats in Jrs. I'm just not altogether convinced he'll transition that easily to the Pro game.

Dellandrea is the other way around entirely. He may not set any scoring records, but his game is just built to translate effectively. He's the bigger prize by a decent margin imo.

Yeah it was brought up over an over again during the TC tournament. He spent the entire summer working with Roberts to get into better shape.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
The Stars could use a second-center with Spezza declining. Would Robertson be available at all if the Sens took back Hanzal?

Robertson is likely Dallas' best prospect on wing and the team needs more top six wingers to play with the likes of Duchene, not deal them away. Getting rid of Hanzal's contract is a nice option, but since he's only signed until 2019-20, it's not a major issue.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Yeah I'd easily offer up 1st + Robertson/hintz + something else for Duchene. I know he said he is intrigued by free agency but that's while being on a team that is selling off its talent. I feel like he is more likely to extend with us since Benn and Seguin are signed to term.

Also anyone offering Spezza in this thread is out to lunch . He has a NMC and wanted to leave Ottawa. No way he waives for them if they are decent, and there is a negative % chance he waives given their current state
Spezza isn’t going to (back to) Ottawa. I don’t know why that keeps coming up.

I also believe he would sign an extension with Dallas but unless he does I’m not sure if we trade a 1st, Robertson/Hintz and other.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If Dallas couldn’t get Karlsson, maybe Duchene would be the next best thing. He isn’t too happy in Ottawa (who would be), and the fit would be perfect. Some combination of him, Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Spezza and Nichushkin or Hintz in the top six would push the Stars towards contender status.

Ottawa fans- who would you realistically want from us for Duchene? And if any of you say Miro, so help me god

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Stars fans repping well in this thread. Offering prospects and picks with real value, not trying to simply mock Ottawa for the EK deal and make some lame package based off that. I’d consider Robertson a better asset than any single piece the Sens got for EK while guys like Guryanov and Hintz are at least Balcers level prospects if not more due to their top showings this preseason. Plus a 2019 first. Obviously not all this stuff is being offered at once but you can construct a pretty appetizing package for the Sens with 2-3 of those pieces.

I doubt Della is available if he wasn’t for EK...and I think you can make a perfectly good deal for both sides without him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I like Robertson, but I'd move him and a 1st for Duchene pretty easily.

I'd probably wait until 15-20 games into the season though, just to make sure we're actually a playoff contender.

Would also not be opposed to moving Ritchie or Shore, a slightly lesser prospect (depending on Sens' prospect needs which I'm unfamiliar with), and a 1st either, although I imagine this wouldn't be as appealing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is Duchene's value more or less equivalent to Brassards? Point pace over the last 3 seasons favor Duchene by 5 pts (55 vs 50) over 82 gp, Brassard had an extra year at a smaller cap hit though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad