Eklund Rumor: Duchene to Carolina Hurricanes?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't know. Just spitballing. Not even sure that Gostisbehere is available.

I think he could be for the right price. But i don't know that he's the type of D-man Colorado would be looking for. I probably wouldnt be willing to add the pieces Colorado would want (Konecny/Lindblom).

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think he could be for the right price. But i don't know that he's the type of D-man Colorado would be looking for. I probably wouldnt be willing to add the pieces Colorado would want (Konecny/Lindblom).

Unless they plan on moving Barrie then Ghost isn't the type of dman they would be looking for. Same issue with Vantanen in Ana.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm cool with the scattergun approach to defense. They're much harder to predict, and most don't hit their upside. If we get luck and several leftys end up as top 4 guys, great. Trade one for a winger.

If we keep bringing in outside guys, how are our prospects going to get a solid chance to prove they can be top 4 guys in the NHL? If they don't get the chance in the NHL, and are just another "NHL ready prospect" in the AHL, how will that impact their value in a trade?

I don't disagree that it's risky, but the scattergun approach hasn't exactly been working out for us either.

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
Ya because Eklund has sources is right? Come on. Web hits must be down. Why people post this crap is beyond my thinking.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What would it take for Landeskog to Carolina?

Landeskog - Staal - Lindholm line would be very good

Car has more pieces than any other team to get a deal done and there have been many threads about it. I would be surprised if they would rather have Landeskog than Duchene and it is tougher to pinpoint what Landeskogs price is while we know what Duchene would cost.

All we know is that it would cost a 24 or under Dmen +

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If we keep bringing in outside guys, how are our prospects going to get a solid chance to prove they can be top 4 guys in the NHL? If they don't get the chance in the NHL, and are just another "NHL ready prospect" in the AHL, how will that impact their value in a trade?

I don't disagree that it's risky, but the scattergun approach hasn't exactly been working out for us either.

I don't think we have been using the scattergun approach. At least, not with young guys. We've done some of that with washed up old guys. I don't want to do that anymore either.

But as far as young guys go, we've never had more than a couple decent defensive prospects at any given time. I don't think that's worked for us. So until it's proven that we can effectively draft and develop defenders, I'd rather go over. Play the odds. And if we end up blocking a guy in the AHL, so be it. We'll deal with it when it happens.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't think we have been using the scattergun approach. At least, not with young guys. We've done some of that with washed up old guys. I don't want to do that anymore either.

But as far as young guys go, we've never had more than a couple decent defensive prospects at any given time. I don't think that's worked for us. So until it's proven that we can effectively draft and develop defenders, I'd rather go over. Play the odds. And if we end up blocking a guy in the AHL, so be it. We'll deal with it when it happens.

I think we've sort of used it. Gormley, Gelinas, Weircioch, etc. have been attempts at finding that young guy who was close to ready, but didn't work with their first teams for some reason.

I definitely agree that we need to stop signing old guys, but I also see someone like Alzner approaching UFA and wonder if he'd be a good fit while we figure out what we have (assuming he gets to UFA and is willing to sign here). If so, I'd much rather have Alzner+Duchene for the next few years while we see how our young guys develop, rather than just having Hanifin.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Car has more pieces than any other team to get a deal done and there have been many threads about it. I would be surprised if they would rather have Landeskog than Duchene and it is tougher to pinpoint what Landeskogs price is while we know what Duchene would cost.

All we know is that it would cost a 24 or under Dmen +

Landeskog would probably be a better fit with Peters' style of play, and the fact that he and Skinner have already had experience playing together couldn't hurt.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think we've sort of used it. Gormley, Gelinas, Weircioch, etc. have been attempts at finding that young guy who was close to ready, but didn't work with their first teams for some reason.

I definitely agree that we need to stop signing old guys, but I also see someone like Alzner approaching UFA and wonder if he'd be a good fit while we figure out what we have (assuming he gets to UFA and is willing to sign here). If so, I'd much rather have Alzner+Duchene for the next few years while we see how our young guys develop, rather than just having Hanifin.

Wier is a solid bottom pairing guy.

Also Alzner isn't good and would be over priced.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Wier is a solid bottom pairing guy.

Also Alzner isn't good and would be over priced.

Yeah, Weircioch has looked decent, but our other attempts haven't been nearly as successful.

I'm not expecting Alzner to be a long term solution, but I think he could be a decent 2nd pairing option next to Barrie for a year or two until Bigras/Mironov/Butcher is ready. Definitely agree he will be overpriced.

But, over priced is the issue with any D we might want to acquire. People saw what Hall returned and think their prospects/young unproven guys are worth more than Jones or Larsson.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yeah, Weircioch has looked decent, but our other attempts haven't been nearly as successful.

I'm not expecting Alzner to be a long term solution, but I think he could be a decent 2nd pairing option next to Barrie for a year or two until Bigras/Mironov/Butcher is ready. Definitely agree he will be overpriced.

But, over priced is the issue with any D we might want to acquire. People saw what Hall returned and think their prospects/young unproven guys are worth more than Jones or Larsson.

Important not to lump decent players in with the actual problems.

No pressure on Sakic to make a move, its up to other teams if they are willing to pay what it will take or not.

And its not so much Cap but the term Alzner would command that is the issue.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Important not to lump decent players in with the actual problems.

No pressure on Sakic to make a move, its up to other teams if they are willing to pay what it will take or not.

And its not so much Cap but the term Alzner would command that is the issue.

I wasn't lumping them together based on skill, just pointing out the young guys we've acquired in our efforts to find a good one. Weir is the best of the bunch, no doubt, but still just a bottom pairing guy.

I agree that Sakic has the leverage to wait or do nothing, if no one meets his price.

And, term might be an issue, depending on what other teams can offer. If he wants more than 2 years, it defeats my purpose for wanting him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I wasn't lumping them together based on skill, just pointing out the young guys we've acquired in our efforts to find a good one. Weir is the best of the bunch, no doubt, but still just a bottom pairing guy.

I agree that Sakic has the leverage to wait or do nothing, if no one meets his price.

And, term might be an issue, depending on what other teams can offer. If he wants more than 2 years, it defeats my purpose for wanting him.

No chance he takes less than 4 years.

And nothing wrong with Weir and tyutin being 3rd line depth signings since that was a position the Avs needed.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I mean they've got EJ and Zadorov as two-way/defensive guys. Barrie obviously is great offensively. I think Gostisbehere would be a good complement.

Ghost - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie

seems like a great top 4 now and long term.

I'm not sure how you guys feel about Laughton now. Would Gostisbehere + Laughton + top 10 protected 1st (2018 instead) be fair? :dunno: Or is that simply too much from the Flyers?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually, I watch a lot of Duchene and have been watching even more of the Avs lately because of this rumor...I see a guy whose game relies on athleticism and natural abilities in a way that typically does not age well. I'm just not a fan of acquiring Matt Duchene.

If I'm the Canes and I'm actually considering moving Hanifin, I hold out for MacK (Hanifin + in that case) or look elsewhere, long before I consider Duchene. I don't think he's worth market price.

Doesn't sound like you've watched much of Duchene since the lockout. Matt's absolutely transformed his game offensively and spends a lot more time using that exceptional lower body strength, high end quickness & his gifted hands, operating down low. His speed is still a weapon he uses, but that hasn't been what his game has been about in a few seasons now. With his two-way growth and elite faceoff skills, Matt Duchene should age very nicely, even if his assists creep down after the initial bump they'll get playing on a good team. I'm not sure about what I'd expect from him in CAR, but I'd expect him to put up a couple of seasons between 75pts and PPG if he went to Montreal, before dropping down to the points totals he's had with the avs over the past couple seasons.

Dont forget about Butcher and Meloche will probably need at least a year in the AHL before he makes the big leagues and even Siemens is probably ready to get a chance in the NHL at this point with the season hes having.

The Avs could also look at someone like Davidson for cheaper.

I think thats why the price is so insanely high for him. Imo having another top 4 dman would do wonders but Duchene would be a huge loss. We will see.

Meloche should need a season in the AHL, but it should shock no one if he gets a call up late next season and does well. Kid's super smart, his skating should be sufficiently improved, and he's already strong/physical enough.

What would it take for Landeskog to Carolina?

Landeskog - Staal - Lindholm line would be very good

Hanifin+, with a slightly smaller + than Duchene would require.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
So now that Carolina is out of the picture, who else might be interested ?

Car is certainly in the middle of things, however the other teams on Duchene would most likely be MTL and NYI. For Gabe it would be Ana and Bos.

Other teams are probably calling but would have a hard time beating the aforementioned.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
NYI just doesn't seem very appealing unless they go nuts with the add ons to the defensive piece they offer up.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I mean they've got EJ and Zadorov as two-way/defensive guys. Barrie obviously is great offensively. I think Gostisbehere would be a good complement.

Ghost - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie

seems like a great top 4 now and long term.

I'm not sure how you guys feel about Laughton now. Would Gostisbehere + Laughton + top 10 protected 1st (2018 instead) be fair? :dunno: Or is that simply too much from the Flyers?

Laughton will likely be exposed, so while he isnt a dump, his stock has dropped a little since draft, i'd say. I like the idea of Duchene, but i'm not comfortable moving forward with an all-prospect defense, personally. I think it'd have to be a deal that would be done next year, when we see what sanheim/morin look like in the NHL - which may or may not work for the avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad