Eklund Rumor: Duchene to Carolina Hurricanes?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wish this rumor and the interest behind it would just take a terminal leap into a wood-chipper. Duchene-Hanifin is, in all permutations, IMO another Pronger-Shanahan deal. Make it and it's the coffin-nails in this team's future in Carolina.

I wouldn't assume Duchene and Hanifin will be Hall of Famers just yet.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I wouldn't assume Duchene and Hanifin will be Hall of Famers just yet.

This has nothing to do with either being a hall of famer...the Pronger trade, along with the Francis trade a few years earlier, are generally considered to have been the coffin nails in the Hartford-era of the Hurricanes/Whalers franchise. They were terribly-lopsided trades that killed the team.

Specifically, comparing this proposed trade to the Pronger trade. Shanny didn't play as well after coming to Hartford as he had prior to the trade and before even the end of the same season publicly demanded to be traded, which destroyed any chance of getting decent value for him. Basically, in less than a year, the Whalers parlayed a promising, young defender into a pile of mediocrity. We gave away Pronger for essentially nothing.

That's what Hanifin for Duchene feels like...Pronger trade 2.0.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've heard Duchene to Carolina as well. My ? is why. Carolina's like Colorado in that they're going nowhere anytime soon. Don't know why they'd be looking at picking up 1 of the top available guys.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I've heard Duchene to Carolina as well. My ? is why. Carolina's like Colorado in that they're going nowhere anytime soon. Don't know why they'd be looking at picking up 1 of the top available guys.

I'd love to know your definition of "soon" as it pertains to Carolina. You seem very well informed.

WisconsinDuck

Nov 17, 2005
Wisconsin

Uhh what? Carolina has had spurts this year where they actually look very promising. Don't know that I would say "going nowhere soon". They are most certainly on the right track.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Uhh what? Carolina has had spurts this year where they actually look very promising. Don't know that I would say "going nowhere soon". They are most certainly on the right track.

Hurricanes are a team that's missing a few pieces from being on the cusp of being a very good team. Best young D core in the league IMO ...Adding Duchene to Aho/Staal up the middle would be solid. And just need a better goaltender.

Its funny, they just quietly collected all these defencemen...no one even knew it lol

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wanted Faulk last offseason pretty bad when McKenzie was convincing everyone that Barrie was for sure getting traded.

Now, I don't think Faulk would fit very well. For staters, he's too old for the 20-24 age range it's been reported Sakic is looking for. Secondly, he's on the right side so it doesn't really make sense with EJ and Barrie already there.

IMO, A deal around Hanifin/Duchene would be damn near perfect for both teams.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
This has been done before...if we're trading Hanifin my ask is MacKinnon which isn't happening.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I don't see Carolina pulling the trigger on any big deals. With the entry draft for Vegas coming at the end of the playoffs, Carolina has open spots so they can cherry pick teams who are at risk losing players for zilch.

Carolina isn't the only team in position to do this though. NJ for one should have open spots as well. I'm sure there are other teams too. There still could be bidding wars.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm still not convinced that the Avs need to add someone like Hanifin.

Zadorov-EJ
Mironov/Bigras-Barrie
Bigras/Mironov-Meloche?

Is Hanifin an upgrade on Mironov/Bigras? Without much doubt, I'd say he is. Is he an obvious upgrade over Zadorov? I think that's debatable.

So, why give up a guy who is a proven 1C in order to get an upgrade at 2nd pairing LHD, when we have 2 guys in the system who could be perfectly serviceable in that role?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I wanted Faulk last offseason pretty bad when McKenzie was convincing everyone that Barrie was for sure getting traded.

Now, I don't think Faulk would fit very well. For staters, he's too old for the 20-24 age range it's been reported Sakic is looking for. Secondly, he's on the right side so it doesn't really make sense with EJ and Barrie already there.

IMO, A deal around Hanifin/Duchene would be damn near perfect for both teams.

24 year old Justin Faulk is too old for the 20-24 age range it's been reported Sakic is looking for? Or did Sakic mention months and rounding as well?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Dude'll be turning a quarter of a century soon. A QUARTER OF A CENTURY!! He's old.

Good point. We're over here hesitant to pull the trigger on a guy that'll be a UFA relatively soon, Avs fans should be worried about Faulk retiring even earlier. Better ink the deal before he breaks a hip.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Good point. We're over here hesitant to pull the trigger on a guy that'll be a UFA relatively soon, Avs fans should be worried about Faulk retiring even earlier. Better ink the deal before he breaks a hip.

I mean at the end of the day a 2017 draft pick right now is probably closer to retirement than he is to his birth.

Not sure that would be a good investment right now. I think 2019 picks are way more valuable...

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
24 year old Justin Faulk is too old for the 20-24 age range it's been reported Sakic is looking for? Or did Sakic mention months and rounding as well?

oh man, my bad. For some reason I thought he was 27 :laugh:. He does fit the age then, albeit right at the higher end, but my thoughts on him being a RH shot still apply.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Zadorov-EJ
Mironov/Bigras-Barrie
Bigras/Mironov-Meloche?

Is Hanifin an upgrade on Mironov/Bigras? Without much doubt, I'd say he is. Is he an obvious upgrade over Zadorov? I think that's debatable.

So, why give up a guy who is a proven 1C in order to get an upgrade at 2nd pairing LHD, when we have 2 guys in the system who could be perfectly serviceable in that role?

Dont forget about Butcher and Meloche will probably need at least a year in the AHL before he makes the big leagues and even Siemens is probably ready to get a chance in the NHL at this point with the season hes having.

The Avs could also look at someone like Davidson for cheaper.

I think thats why the price is so insanely high for him. Imo having another top 4 dman would do wonders but Duchene would be a huge loss. We will see.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I'm actually surprised he is still that young. I dont know why I assumed he was older.
Car really IS stacked on D.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Dont forget about Butcher and Meloche will probably need at least a year in the AHL before he makes the big leagues and even Siemens is probably ready to get a chance in the NHL at this point with the season hes having.

The Avs could also look at someone like Davidson for cheaper.

I think thats why the price is so insanely high for him. Imo having another top 4 dman would do wonders but Duchene would be a huge loss. We will see.

True, Butcher and Siemens could be in the mix next season too. With all the potential guys we have on D, I'd almost rather throw a few of them to the wolves and see how they fare. They are unlikely to be any worse than Gelinas, Tyutin, etc.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Zadorov-EJ
Mironov/Bigras-Barrie
Bigras/Mironov-Meloche?

I'm cool with the scattergun approach to defense. They're much harder to predict, and most don't hit their upside. If we get luck and several leftys end up as top 4 guys, great. Trade one for a winger.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
True, Butcher and Siemens could be in the mix next season too. With all the potential guys we have on D, I'd almost rather throw a few of them to the wolves and see how they fare. They are unlikely to be any worse than Gelinas, Tyutin, etc.

Its a more risky approach relying on that many young players to develop and play in roles they probably aren't fully ready for rather than moving for a guy who is ready now.

Also getting a young top 4 guy allows for the Avs to pursue the possibility of reshaping the dynamic of their Dcore with a Barrie move in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad