Duchene or MacKinnon

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Simple question. The first three to respond to my question in the Mack thread said he would be better so I figured a poll was warranted for this question because I'm not really convinced personally and figured before they start playing it would be interesting to look back on how many people are for either player long term.

Note: This is over the course of their careers, assume both will play well until they are 35 or something and take into account Duchy's current career progress.

Contracts aside.

The 'too close' option is not an 'undecided' option, it is there for people that legitimately think they will be very close during their career. Don't vote if you're not sure, you've got until the season starts to decide.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mac is going to be a top 5 player in the game some day.

So him.

I doubt that.

Mack will be a better goal scorer but Matt is the better playmaker. Fron the very little I've seen of Mack I think duchene is more dynamic and has the higher potential. I wouldn't be surprised either way tho.

I reckon both could be 80-90 point players.

Reactions: MaKarter

Averick*

I can't vote but, if I coul, it would be MacKinnon. I think he'll be more explosive and have a better two-way game. I also think MacKinnon might be more competitive in crucial moments.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Mac.

It's interesting how we will solve this. Cause both will be too good to be a second line center. And ROR will be perfect there. My guess is that either Mac or Dutchy is moved to a wing eventually.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Mac.

It's interesting how we will solve this. Cause both will be too good to be a second line center. And ROR will be perfect there. My guess is that either Mac or Dutchy is moved to a wing eventually.

Or maybe ROR gets traded and they keep both Mack and Duchene at center. As for the poll I really like both players, got to see Mackinnon alot this year and I chose him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hard to say because MacKinnon has never played in the NHL but since we're just going on potential, I think MacKinnon has a higher ceiling than Duchene.

Duchene is not a winger and they should never put him at wing again. I would have been fine with MacKinnon at wing this season since he's a rookie and he'll still be learning but for the future, leave him at his natural position as well. Duchene and MacKinnon should be our top two centers for a long time. I think O'Reilly will be moved to wing permanently or moved off the team if they don't want to play all three at center.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Hard to say because MacKinnon has never played in the NHL but since we're just going on potential, I think MacKinnon has a higher ceiling than Duchene.

Duchene is not a winger and they should never put him at wing again. I would have been fine with MacKinnon at wing this season since he's a rookie and he'll still be learning but for the future, leave him at his natural position as well. Duchene and MacKinnon should be our top two centers for a long time. I think O'Reilly will be moved to wing permanently or moved off the team if they don't want to play all three at center.
I think Duchene and MacKinnon both will have much easier to change to wing than ROR. He is a pure center. I'm sure Duchene can be equally productive at wing. Even though I prefer him at center right now. I think this whole "Duchene and MacKinnon should NEVER EVER PLAY AT WING" has gone a bit far. Both will be good enough to be productive there. Duchene just happened to be tried there when he was ice cold. Just like the "Landeskog and Duchene doesn't work together" phrase who is based off like four games together.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Hard to say without seeing MacKinnon play a single game at the NHL level.

I'm not going to make a choice until half, in not the entire, the season is over.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Voted for MacK but that is based purely on what I've heard/read. That he projects to be a better goal scorer, a little more physical, and equal or better defensively.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Hard to say without seeing MacKinnon play a single game at the NHL level.

I'm not going to make a choice until half, in not the entire, the season is over.

This is merely your preliminary thoughts on the matter. The poll closes when the season starts for historical purposes, I'm sure opinions will be changing quite a lot over the next 5+ years about the two on a season by season basis.

But right now, without having seen Mack in the NHL and knowing Duchy's potential do you feel like Mack or Duchene will end up the better player when all is said and done?

Undecided is a fair decision of course, just clarifying the point of this thread.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Wrong as usual. Does it ever get old?

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos are going no where. You then have players like Backstrom, Giroux, Kane a player that already has a 100 point season and with 90+and kane 2 time Stanley cup champion (conn smyth). Ovechkin who is in a fog but could pull out anytime. Other players like Hall/Tavares/Duchene who have yet to show how good they can be when surrounded with a good team.

Keep in mind other players not in the NHL like McDavid who people swear to me thay he's a b8gger Crosby and Drouin who has a higher offensive ceiling than Mack (imo) . I would love it if mack became a top 5 player but the competition is to fierce for him.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos are going no where. You then have players like Backstrom, Giroux, Kane a player that already has a 100 point season and with 90+and kane 2 time Stanley cup champion (conn smyth). Ovechkin who is in a fog but could pull out anytime. Other players like Hall/Tavares/Duchene who have yet to show how good they can be when surrounded with a good team.

Keep in mind other players not in the NHL like McDavid who people swear to me thay he's a b8gger Crosby and Drouin who has a higher offensive ceiling than Mack (imo) . I would love it if mack became a top 5 player but the competition is to fierce for him.

Then again, Crosby could get injured, Malkin could get injured/bolt to Russia (had to), Stamkos could be a product MSL (he's not), Backstrom could get a stick to the arm in GEICO commercial, Giroux is a midget doesn't count, Kane could fight one too many cabbies. Hall is too fugly, Tavares isn't as good as Duchene, Duchene is paid too much.

MacKinnon Best Player in the world (E5)

Averick*

Top 5 is subjective to begin with. But player comparisons of MacKinnon were all over the map. Stamkos was a big comparison and so was Toews because of his two-way game. What if they're valid and he's both in one?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't vote but if I could it would be for MacK. As I said in the other thread I'm a huge fan of Duchene and if MacK is just as good as him I'll be thrilled. I have not seen MacK play a lot but I've read everything I can find on him and I believe he is a very special talent. So at this point yes I believe that his talent will come to fruition.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Top 5 is subjective to begin with. But player comparisons of MacKinnon were all over the map. Stamkos was a big comparison and so was Toews because of his two-way game. What if they're valid and he's both in one?

What if neither are valid and he's just Mackinnon? We can play the what if game all day, at this present moment I find it hard for Mackinnon to better than most of those players I mentioned. Keep in mind that we're only talking about forwards. For him to be a top 5 player you have to add in the likes of Lundqvist, chara, Doughty, weber, pie and Karlsson. I get we're all excited to have mack but let's adjust our expections to a reasonable level. A player that's Toews and Stamkos rolled into one is insane, we're talking about a player on par with Sakic and yzerman... which I don't see happening.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
It could very well be in 10 years. If you think of all the players you listed, they'd all be on the downside of their career. We may very well be talking about McDavid vs Reinhart vs MacKinnon vs Drouin vs Yakupov vs Hall at that point

Averick*

What if neither are valid and he's just Mackinnon? We can play the what if game all day, at this present moment I find it hard for Mackinnon to better than most of those players I mentioned. Keep in mind that we're only talking about forwards. For him to be a top 5 player you have to add in the likes of Lundqvist, chara, Doughty, weber, pie and Karlsson. I get we're all excited to have mack but let's adjust our expections to a reasonable level. A player that's Toews and Stamkos rolled into one is insane, we're talking about a player on par with Sakic and yzerman... which I don't see happening.

Why is your pre-emptive negativity more valid than anyones optimism? And why do you say, "we're all excited" when you're clearly distancing yourself from those who are. This use of "we" (as opposed to you) is a little condascending.

Also, Im not sure it's that unreasonable when you take a player with that combination of player comparisons (by scouts/analysts) in one of the deepest drafts in decades. It's easy to say, "hey, it's easy to bust...a lot of guys do it" and then pre-emptively get out in front of it. But Im not really sure that's being more "reasonable".

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

Thread is about potential and projections. The forwards your mentioning were in the exact same spot as Mackinnon years ago.

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos are going no where. You then have players like Backstrom, Giroux, Kane. Other players like Hall/Tavares/Duchene

If you can't see the correlation than I can't help you. Never understood the whole it's impossible to tell, shiny new toy etc. Players can bust but there's a reason we have a draft and it's been pretty reliable this decade.

Anyways I never really liked the Stamkos comparisons. Besides puck hunger, getting in position/speedy there different players. I think the Toews/Stammer combo is a more in line with a big time goal scorer that plays both ways. Not combining them completely :laugh:

I think it'll be Mack. Duchene is my favorite player and you gotta take him right now obviously but I think as soon as 3 years from now, Mackinnon will be considered the better individual player. I don't see Duchene being a truly elite forward in this league but rather in that next tier, Mackinnon has the potential to be those elite conversations.

Mackinnon was a much better prospect than Duchene at 18. Just as explosive if not more so in most people's eyes, waaay better shot, higher hockey IQ. Has great hands. Throw Duchene in this years draft without knowing anything about the future and I think we can all agree Mack would be the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad