Dreger: Duchene Mega-thread: Habs, NSH inquired about Duchene. Asking price is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Dillon or Schlemko are considered top-4 D, I would easily give up either of them, our 1st this year, 2nd in '19 (we don't have a 2nd this draft or next draft), any prospect besides Timo Meier

Unfortunately, while both are probably solid #4 guys, and Schlemko maybe even a #3, I don't think they're the caliber of "top-4 defenseman" Joe Sakic is probably looking for.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
To Calgary: Duchene, Zadorov

To Colorado: Brodie, Bennett

Av's get their defenseman who can play both sides on one of the best contracts (and one year longer than Duchene) in the league and a struggling young center with huge potential to possibly replace Duchene down the line.

Flames get a player who can keep up with Gaudreau, that could make a fantastic first line with Gaudreau and Monahan or anchor his own line if spreading out the scoring. Get a big nasty young defenseman to try to help the huge defensive depth they take by losing Brodie.

That's a very good offer. I like Brodie and would think it would cost Duchene and something small to get him. I'm not that high on Bennett, though.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Makes no sense for Calgary to trade Brodie for any forward unless it's an overpayment. Forwards are absolutely not the problem with Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett, Backlund and Frolik all under the age of 30. If anything, just keeping those 6 will be a challenge salary cap-wise once Tkachuk and Bennett are on long term deals. Defensively however, it's Brodie, Hamilton, and a whole lot of question marks (as far as u30 defensemen). If anything, a young top-4 D is the biggest team need.

racoon

Dec 10, 2014
Gallagher would be a good start in my book. Young and signed long term. Add a first and it's close value wise for Duchesne, maybe a b prospect away.

I'd actually try to get GL too.

Let's say a package of Gallagher, sergachev, plekanec, sherbak and a first.

Fits under the cap for the habs. Gives great youngsters to COL.

What more? Is it close value wise?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Gallagher would be a good start in my book. Young and signed long term. Add a first and it's close value wise for Duchesne, maybe a b prospect away.

I'd actually try to get GL too.

Let's say a package of Gallagher, sergachev, plekanec, sherbak and a first.

Fits under the cap for the habs. Gives great youngsters to COL.

What more? Is it close value wise?

EDIT:

Misread it.

Hell no for both of them.

Gallagher + 1st is not a good starting point at all for Duchene.

Needs Sergachev as a starting point.

Same as for Landeskog. He is the only real piece of interest to the Avs when it comes to trading one of Landeskog/Duchene.

Last edited:

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Montreal should target Duchene only if they can get him for ...Beaulieu,McCarron and a 1st and also make a trade with Dallas.....Scherbak,Pateryn,Lindgren,Carr,for 2 players in the last year of their contracts....Eaves and Oduya and the rights to Nichushkin.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Montreal should target Duchene only if they can get him for ...Beaulieu,McCarron and a 1st and also make a trade with Dallas.....Scherbak,Pateryn,Lindgren,Carr,for 2 players in the last year of their contracts....Eaves and Oduya and the rights to Nichushkin.

You want Duchene? I think it starts with Sergachev, I really dont think Sakic will settle with Beaulieu and McCarron.. Ottawa would've to start with Chabot so I think it's pretty similar to Montreal with Sergachev

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
To Calgary: Duchene, Zadorov

To Colorado: Brodie, Bennett

Av's get their defenseman who can play both sides on one of the best contracts (and one year longer than Duchene) in the league and a struggling young center with huge potential to possibly replace Duchene down the line.

Flames get a player who can keep up with Gaudreau, that could make a fantastic first line with Gaudreau and Monahan or anchor his own line if spreading out the scoring. Get a big nasty young defenseman to try to help the huge defensive depth they take by losing Brodie.

This proposal was made before and was ripped to shreds. A deal around Duchene and Brodie? Maybe. Duchene AND Zadorov? Get outta here. He is not for sale.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Duchene is merely a 55 to 60 point 2nd line center. He won't fetch even close to what a first liner like Hall did.

I've tried to stay out of this thread because it seems to follow the typical pattern. Avs fans are probably expecting too much and fans of other teams are trying to minimize Duchene as a player. It is like a virtual negotiation in which fans expect that whatever is decided on these boards will have some impact on GMs.

Nevertheless, I will point out that Duchene has the following credentials to his credit:

(1) Former No. 3 pick overall, Calder Trophy finalist (3rd overall in voting) and named to All-Rookie team (2010).

(2) Two time NHL All-Star game participant (2011, 2016).

(3) 5 time 20+ goal scorer at NHL level, probably will be accomplishing that for a 6th time this season.

(4) Member of Canada's international teams that won gold at 2014 Winter Olympics, 2015 and 2016 World Championships, and 2016 World Cup.

(5) He has emerged as one of the best faceoff guys in the NHL. He placed third overall in faceoff percentage in the 2015-2016 season at 57.9 percent behind only Jonathon Toews and Ryan Kessler. At the moment in the 2016-2017 season, he ranks second in faceoff percentage at 61.1% behind only Antoine Vermette. He won 20 of 24 faceoffs against the Jets yesterday, in addition to adding three assists.

I've seen statements that he will fetch less than Taylor Hall, who is not a center, and Ryan Johansen. I believe that some of those arguments are tenuous.

Nevertheless, let's assume that he won't fetch as much as Hall or Johansen. Other posters are going as far as saying that he won't fetch as much ROR in trade either. This is despite the fact that ROR was notoriously difficult in negotiations and was one season away from UFA status at the time of his trade. ROR fetched a futures package, but it represented prospects and picks at the time as follows:

(1) Mikhail Grigorenko, who was three years removed from his draft year and a former first round pick (No. 12 overall).

(2) Nikita Zadorov, who was two years removed from his draft year and a former first round pick (No. 16 overall).

(3) JT Compher, who was two years removed from his draft year and the 35th pick overall (high second round).

(4) The 31st overall pick in the 2015 draft (first pick in the second round).

Now Jamie McGinn was also included in the trade to Buffalo, so let's just say for sake of argument that he consituted value equal to JT Compher (high second round pick). This is probably overstating McGinn's value at the time because he had missed almost the entire prior season due to back surgery attempting to correct a congenital spine condition that had affected him since his days in junior hockey. He was also only one season away from UFA status. His playing status was uncertain, and you could argue that McGinn represented additional value going to the Avs in terms of a cap dump (approximately $2.75 AAV and $3 million in actual dollars I believe).

So taking the least favorable view of the ROR return, he still fetched two recent mid-first round picks in terms of prospects and a an extremely high second round pick (arguably equivalent to a late first round draft pick).

Is this realistic to expect that Duchene will return less than Hall and Johansen in terms of a young player and less in terms of a futures package than ROR? It is more of a rhetorical question.

In any event, I think it is extremely unlikely that Duchene will be traded at the deadline, but rather at the draft if it happens. Big trade deadline moves are difficult, particularly with the added element of the expansion draft this season.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Duchene is merely a 55 to 60 point 2nd line center. He won't fetch even close to what a first liner like Hall did.

Why do you take his lowest point totals as 'what he is' but not his highest. If anything he is a 50 to 80 point player depending on different factors.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yes he will. 1C (even a 2C like Duchene) > 1LW.

1C/1D > 1W > 1G

Top 4 D > Top 6 W

Center > Wing

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Why do you take his lowest point totals as 'what he is' but not his highest. If anything he is a 50 to 80 point player depending on different factors.

80 point? Closest he ever came was 70 in his best year..... He's a 55-65 guy nothing more or else. Very good 2C or a poor mans 1C.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
In 70 games.

Durability is a quality that increases or decreases a players value and certainly affects his point totals.

Joe is fishing, asking for more then he realistically expects to get, hoping to find some desperate GM who will pay it......it's all good all GM's do it at some point. Till now all the GM's have laughed at the price knowing it's too high, they are now testing Joe to see if he will or how far he will reduce the price. Time will tell.

Big Bad Zad

Mar 31, 2016
80 point? Closest he ever came was 70 in his best year..... He's a 55-65 guy nothing more or else. Very good 2C or a poor mans 1C.

He has averaged 66 points over the last 5 seasons (counting this one). So it is funny you list his average as his maximum.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Duchene averages 62.2 pts/82 games, Hall averages 70.2. Given Duchene's superior defensive game and that there is only a year in age difference, I'd say their value should be rather close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad