Dubois

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
It makes plenty of sense if he was good. 25yo centers with his attributes don't grown on trees.

PLD looks good on paper. He sucks in real life.
The Kings paid an inflated price, both trade and contract, when the value of players was depressed by three years of stagnant salary cap. It is like paying over list price and buying a house without an inspection while the housing market is tanking. This is before evaluating the specific player who made no sense for this team.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Because Dubois has all the Moneyball 5 tool bullshit that old school guys look for. He is big, he is tall, he has good fundamentals, he has vision and a good shot. They thought they could take a raw gem and carve it in to a gem stone.

What they didn't realize is Dubois has no interest or drive to be a 1st line center, does not have the talent to use his talent to the fullest, and has coasted on much stronger players feeding him all his career. Dubois is a player who thrives with dominant players, not someone who makes players stronger.

Look at how, briefly, he had some chemistry with Byfield. That is because Byfield makes players better because his skating, size, and hockey IQ makes up for so many mistakes and creates scoring chances from nothing.
It just pops off the bat,,,,you can hear it...

I think he's talented. He shows flashes. Talent has the potential to make people lazy. Which is what we're seeing. He likes to win, but doesn't appear to hate losing enough or he would be doing more. If he was tenacious, willing to grind it out like Byfield, we would have that 8 mil per year player. It's like that fan who was quoting Shorsey that went viral for criticizing the boys in Toronto. He doesn't hate losing enough.

Right now, his ceiling is Jason Spezza. Try a little harder and he might be Jeff Carter. He's no Kopitar, not in the ballpark of Messier but a little bit more than either of the Sedin twins but without the eyes in the back of the head thing. And at this point, he is really comfortable with that. He would be the final piece of a cup run, but not a core piece. Kind of like Pancakes. You don't build a core around him or throw him this kind of contract. We have to trade him and eat shit on this one. Dumbass move by Blake. He tried to salvage it with Boston, allegedly. But we're gonna eat shit on this one in the summer if we can move him. Until then, I've learned not to be angry. He's getting predictable on the ice. There is no sandpaper to him. He's a good one, but showed too often he's not The One. Byfleid is growing in that direction. The flashes we see of him grinding out goals from hard spots, that's more of the sign of what we're looking for but are waiting for him to grow into the position.

The sooner we get PLD off the roster the better. It will affect other players if it hasn't already. I'd just as soon as bench his ass every time he doesn't give at least 90% out there. Send a message to everyone else what LA hockey is supposed to be. Nothing personal. Not all puzzle pieces fit or need to fit. Just don't tear down the team in the process. I'd say 100% but he's not capable of that maturity wise. I've never see him lay it all out there. If you could put prime Mike Richards from Philly in his skill set, that player would be a beast. But he's not that, not even close.

If he feels like showing up one day, I would love to see that player. But that's not who we signed. We signed Jason Spezza in 2023. Soft like Charmin. I'd say he gets traded with a 2nd and we eat 3 million of his salary.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It just pops off the bat,,,,you can hear it...

I think he's talented. He shows flashes. Talent has the potential to make people lazy. Which is what we're seeing. He likes to win, but doesn't appear to hate losing enough or he would be doing more. If he was tenacious, willing to grind it out like Byfield, we would have that 8 mil per year player. It's like that fan who was quoting Shorsey that went viral for criticizing the boys in Toronto. He doesn't hate losing enough.

Right now, his ceiling is Jason Spezza. Try a little harder and he might be Jeff Carter. He's no Kopitar, not in the ballpark of Messier but a little bit more than either of the Sedin twins but without the eyes in the back of the head thing. And at this point, he is really comfortable with that. He would be the final piece of a cup run, but not a core piece. Kind of like Pancakes. You don't build a core around him or throw him this kind of contract. We have to trade him and eat shit on this one. Dumbass move by Blake. He tried to salvage it with Boston, allegedly. But we're gonna eat shit on this one in the summer if we can move him. Until then, I've learned not to be angry. He's getting predictable on the ice. There is no sandpaper to him. He's a good one, but showed too often he's not The One. Byfleid is growing in that direction. The flashes we see of him grinding out goals from hard spots, that's more of the sign of what we're looking for but are waiting for him to grow into the position.

The sooner we get PLD off the roster the better. It will affect other players if it hasn't already. I'd just as soon as bench his ass every time he doesn't give at least 90% out there. Send a message to everyone else what LA hockey is supposed to be. Nothing personal. Not all puzzle pieces fit or need to fit. Just don't tear down the team in the process. I'd say 100% but he's not capable of that maturity wise. I've never see him lay it all out there. If you could put prime Mike Richards from Philly in his skill set, that player would be a beast. But he's not that, not even close.

If he feels like showing up one day, I would love to see that player. But that's not who we signed. We signed Jason Spezza in 2023. Soft like Charmin. I'd say he gets traded with a 2nd and we eat 3 million of his salary.
This mention may make fans more irate than I intend, but it reminds me of former first overall pick Alexander Daigle. Very talented player. But he just stopped caring about hockey (or just lost the passion). I don't even say that as a judgment - of course the money is nice, but there's a particular grind you have to go through as a professional that younger players, particularly kids, don't have to go through. What was fun becomes work.

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread, but he shows the least effort multi-point games. Last night, he just snaps a shot from a low angle with no defender near him. His assist showed more fight, but there was still minimal physical engagement. He gave a shove then used more of his stick to win the puck. He doesn't regularly pin players or use his body to separate the player from the puck. I don't even mean lay out a player. Just lean in. Take an extra step. Show some urgency, or something.

He's apparently "outhitting" Byfield 81-44 over the season, but you see the consistent engagement and battle Byfield plays with. He always plays like he wants the puck and to find a teammate to score. As you say aptly, he plays like he hates to lose.

I've been quite vocal against him, and his lack of intensity and battle are still issues to me. But I don't think this is the best he can do. If the Kings continue to keep him, I hope it isn't the best we'll see.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
This mention may make fans more irate than I intend, but it reminds me of former first overall pick Alexander Daigle. Very talented player. But he just stopped caring about hockey (or just lost the passion). I don't even say that as a judgment - of course the money is nice, but there's a particular grind you have to go through as a professional that younger players, particularly kids, don't have to go through. What was fun becomes work.

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread, but he shows the least effort multi-point games. Last night, he just snaps a shot from a low angle with no defender near him. His assist showed more fight, but there was still minimal physical engagement. He gave a shove then used more of his stick to win the puck. He doesn't regularly pin players or use his body to separate the player from the puck. I don't even mean lay out a player. Just lean in. Take an extra step. Show some urgency, or something.

He's apparently "outhitting" Byfield 81-44 over the season, but you see the consistent engagement and battle Byfield plays with. He always plays like he wants the puck and to find a teammate to score. As you say aptly, he plays like he hates to lose.

I've been quite vocal against him, and his lack of intensity and battle are still issues to me. But I don't think this is the best he can do. If the Kings continue to keep him, I hope it isn't the best we'll see.
That’s the frustrating part. You can’t coach someone to care. Best you can do is incentivize them and he already got everything he wanted. In most of the interviews with PLD the most passionate he ever sounded was when talking about his geography. His tone would drop and he would look away from the questioner when ever he answered I want to win.

For what he is being paid and for what Blake and Robitaille wanted from him the red flags couldn’t have been any brighter or bigger. Those two got caught wishing and hoping that the tird would polish!

Reactions: AbsentMojo

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
For as much as ive seen and written about this guy, he will not be motivated by any other person. Hes entirely self motivated and any ody that tries to motivate him(legally) is beating thier head against a wall. He's whats known today as a quiet quitter- a guy who just mails in the effort.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
If PLD cared and played every game like last night or he did against Ottawa he would be a perennial 60g 100+point player.
But he's a bitch
I think it's a sign about him as a player when the two games he looked best were against terrible teams

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
These players - the Demarcus Cousins’, the Jake Virtanens, the Semins and the PLDs- it’s exciting to think that there is more potential just waiting to be unlocked, with just ‘a little more consistency’ but

when this discussion crosses a certain period of time - maybe 2 seasons - that’s it. That’s their book. I don’t think change will occur.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think it's a sign about him as a player when the two games he looked best were against terrible teams

It isn’t just comparing PLD and GV straight up though. For better and for worse, it’s also comparing who gets moved up and down the lineup when Gabe is or is not playing. I’m guessing production favors Gabe’s side, and they’re 26-10-2 when he plays.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I may be in the minority but the coaching change and addition of Arvy with the maturation of Laf have shiwn us a much improved PLD. Noticing him a lot more in a positive way.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If Vilardi ends up being injury prone the deal might not be so bad.

The 2nd round pick annoyed me.

Kupari is a bust - still hasn't scored a goal. Laffy replaced Iaffalo and saved the Kings 3 million.

It was basically Vilardi and a 2nd for PLD. The 8.5 million is def an overpayment. He's a 5-6 million dollar player at most. I would say Nugent-Hopkins is a comparable and he makes just over 5. RNG hovered around 50-60 points for a bunch of seasons then broke out last year with 100.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
That’s the frustrating part. You can’t coach someone to care. Best you can do is incentivize them and he already got everything he wanted. In most of the interviews with PLD the most passionate he ever sounded was when talking about his geography. His tone would drop and he would look away from the questioner when ever he answered I want to win.

For what he is being paid and for what Blake and Robitaille wanted from him the red flags couldn’t have been any brighter or bigger. Those two got caught wishing and hoping that the tird would polish!

i dont think he's likely to change too much but the one positive is he's only 25. im hoping that some of the LA leadership can help get him on the right path/help him grow up a bit. he's looked much, much better the last few weeks so that gives me a bit more hope

Reactions: Fat Elvis

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If Vilardi ends up being injury prone the deal might not be so bad.

The 2nd round pick annoyed me.

Kupari is a bust - still hasn't scored a goal. Laffy replaced Iaffalo and saved the Kings 3 million.

It was basically Vilardi and a 2nd for PLD. The 8.5 million is def an overpayment. He's a 5-6 million dollar player at most. I would say Nugent-Hopkins is a comparable and he makes just over 5. RNG hovered around 50-60 points for a bunch of seasons then broke out last year with 100.

The issue is that it didn’t have to be Dubois. Moving Kupari and Iafallo were whatever (although I think Iafallo is better than he gets credit for). Moving Vilardi and a second could have brought in a different piece. We didn’t need to bring in a guy with questionable effort and extend him eight years with the highest cap hit among forwards.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I would give PLD a few more seasons and playoffs before judging the deal. He is considered a playoff type player.

Also, Kopitar is gone in two seasons - who will be the #1 center? Byfield will be only 23 by then and has been playing the wing. Danault will be 33 and only have 1 year left until he's a UFA when Kopitar's deal expires.

Does anyone see the Kings drafting a #1 center in the next two seasons that is ready to step in? Or trading for another one?

I see them moving PLD to 1C, Danault to 2C and Byfield to 3C when Kopitar retires. Helenius will likely be 4C.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
He's playing fairly well lately, getting more points. I'd hope that'd be the case considering he has a better winger with him now. I'll reserve judgement until we see him in the playoffs...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Wish we could tell how close he was to being dealt at the deadline. Wonder if he gets dealt before the NMC kicks in.

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
I would give PLD a few more seasons and playoffs before judging the deal. He is considered a playoff type player.

Also, Kopitar is gone in two seasons - who will be the #1 center? Byfield will be only 23 by then and has been playing the wing. Danault will be 33 and only have 1 year left until he's a UFA when Kopitar's deal expires.

Does anyone see the Kings drafting a #1 center in the next two seasons that is ready to step in? Or trading for another one?

I see them moving PLD to 1C, Danault to 2C and Byfield to 3C when Kopitar retires. Helenius will likely be 4C.
If PLD replaces Kopitar we are screwed. He is the antithesis of everything we need in a #1 center.
I don't like to beat a dead horse but its not just his productions that is the problem.
His D zone is lazy
His O zone play is opportunistic not dictated (granted he has had some moments),
Overall body language on the ice is not ideal for a player that is supposed to be replacing our face franchise center.

I pray that PLD turns it around but I also pray this is the nail in the coffin for Blake and Luc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad