Dubois

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think what we've seen from Dubois this year is basically what you can expect from him. This is who he is.

An underachieving, inconsistent, low motor guy, with motivation problems, who'll occasionally play great, but most of the time is just going through the motions.

His 5v5 P/60 and S% seem to be pretty close to his career average. Difference now is he hasn't been as productive on the PP, and doesn't get to leach off the team's best wingers like in previous seasons.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Best hope is that this is just a throw away year and he returns to his normal levels next season. There have been many instances of guys having throw away seasons where everything goes wrong, and then are able to bounce back. Yes, there are Mike York types that never recover, and that is possible, but not a guarantee.

Luc had a couple of very down years while he was still in his prime, and bounced back to be an all-NHL performer again.

Justin Williams had a rough couple of years, maybe chalk it up to injuries but his production was way down, I believe he was even healthy scratched for a playoff game in either 2010 or 2011.

Trevor Zegras is having a throw away season right now, yes he's been hurt but even when he was healthy he wasn't playing well. I'm guessing he will find his way back to the 60+ point 2nd liner he was before.

Alexander Mogilny in his late 20's hit a career rut, actually had multiple seasons below standard and then returned to stardom with the Devils and Leafs. PLD doesn't have the talent Mogilny had, but he appears to have many similar attitude traits.

Teemu Selanne with the Avalanche was a complete throw away season, and he came back to his previous levels with the Ducks.

I don't think all hope is completely lost.
The issue with PLD is his effort and floating. If he’s scoring 60 points next year and still floating, it’ll continue to be an issue.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What is happening with Dubois has scared Hab fans for a Zegras trade. Even me.

The nightmare sceanario is you pay a kings ransom for the guy, he has a couple of decent seasons, asks and gets an obscene long term contract and then mails it in.

Meanwhile the player/players you traded away are doing great.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did you miss that Vilardi was hurt again or are you being a Richard on purpose?
I don't follow Vilardi or ex LA players.

What the comment was about is the concern by Hab fans that Zegras trade can parallel the the Dubois trade. Don't forget that Dubois baited Habland and we fell for it.

I don't follow Vilardi or ex LA players.

What the comment was about is the concern by Hab fans that Zegras trade can parallel the the Dubois trade. Don't forget that Dubois baited Habland and we fell for it.

What the Kings traded away isn't so much an issue as what they got in return. The Kings aren't any worse than they were with Vilardi et al but PLD is a giant loaf. I gave the guy half a season before I turned on him. He honestly looks like he's getting worse at times. He falls down constantly and isn't great possessing or handling the puck. He's a total waste of size. I get your concern and I didn't know Zegras was on the trade block but I think he's a different animal than PLD. PLD kind of already had a reputation before he came to LA and he's lived up to it unfortunately.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What the Kings traded away isn't so much an issue as what they got in return. The Kings aren't any worse than they were with Vilardi et al but PLD is a giant loaf. I gave the guy half a season before I turned on him. He honestly looks like he's getting worse at times. He falls down constantly and isn't great possessing or handling the puck. He's a total waste of size. I get your concern and I didn't know Zegras was on the trade block but I think he's a different animal than PLD. PLD kind of already had a reputation before he came to LA and he's lived up to it unfortunately.
You sure about the embolden?

Kings had a better record last year, while having trash goaltending most of the season, and QB was half the player he is this year. Kings also didn't have Gavrikov for the full year.

If anything LA is worse in part because of PLD. He's a team worst -18 by the way. Vilardi has more points than him also.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
You sure about the embolden?

Kings had a better record last year, while having trash goaltending most of the season, and QB was half the player he is this year. Kings also didn't have Gavrikov for the full year.

If anything LA is worse in part because of PLD. He's a team worst -18 by the way. Vilardi has more points than him also.
And now with bigger cap problems.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think what we've seen from Dubois this year is basically what you can expect from him. This is who he is.

An underachieving, inconsistent, low motor guy, with motivation problems, who'll occasionally play great, but most of the time is just going through the motions.

His 5v5 P/60 and S% seem to be pretty close to his career average. Difference now is he hasn't been as productive on the PP, and doesn't get to leach off the team's best wingers like in previous seasons.
that description reminds me of penner. difference is i was on board with acquiring penner.

Reactions: Telos

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh, you guys thought i was bad enough to trade before?

1709936739696.gif

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Everyone has been throwing PLD into the Ullmark deal, but I haven't seen a single real source that indicates that he was ever mentioned. Just one random dude on Twitter who follows Ottawa with 1k followers saying that LA was shopping PLD and while kicking tires with Boston they were asking about Ullmark and Swayman, but this guy isn't much of a source and spends the rest of his time comparing Stutzle to Matthews and Draisaitl...

Either way, I don't think it does anything for PLD or at least isn't a source of motivation. Unless the Kings miraculously win the cup, it almost guarantees that PLD will outlast Blake in the organization and he is set for life...

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
We should all realize that keeping or being stuck with PLD requires Byfield to sign a bridge deal right?

This will suit Byfield just fine though. His next contract after this bridge will be for $100 M.

Wanna bet?

Reactions: HabsAddict

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
requires Byfield to sign a bridge deal right?
If current management is still here I’d imagine this is A-OK with them since it allows them to overpay Roy and keep up the appearances of being a contender. The usual suspects will talk about what a genius Blake is for getting a player of Byfield’s caliber in the $5-6 mil range then we will end up paying through the nose for it 2 years from now.

Reactions: GameNight

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I keep thinking that somehow Dubois will break out of his "slump" and score 20 points in 10 games...making a fool out of all of us.

Nope.

Amongst the interesting things I'm watching post season is obviously the Habs moves and...is Blake going to get out of this mistake by trading him. It would be the smartest thing...but I doubt it.

(I'm just lighting extra candles that BargainBin is not our GM. And you guys should get rid of him.)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We should all realize that keeping or being stuck with PLD requires Byfield to sign a bridge deal right?

This will suit Byfield just fine though. His next contract after this bridge will be for $100 M.

Wanna bet?
A mentality of "if he gets this much why not me" which becomes a problem when negotiating. I had it all the time at work where employees would point out at other employees and feel that their contributions are worth more. It then becomes a problem of trying not to put down that employee while trying to avoid the comparison.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I keep thinking that somehow Dubois will break out of his "slump" and score 20 points in 10 games...making a fool out of all of us.

Nope.

Amongst the interesting things I'm watching post season is obviously the Habs moves and...is Blake going to get out of this mistake by trading him. It would be the smartest thing...but I doubt it.

(I'm just lighting extra candles that BargainBin is not our GM. And you guys should get rid of him.)
Buying PLD out is the smartest thing. It requires no assets so it is the best option if the Kings want to contend or rebuild.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
A mentality of "if he gets this much why not me" which becomes a problem when negotiating. I had it all the time at work where employees would point out at other employees and feel that their contributions are worth more. It then becomes a problem of trying not to put down that employee while trying to avoid the comparison.
The difference though is that Byfield's an RFA and PLD signed his as a UFA. Byfield can hate being paid less than PLD all he wants, but he has to look at RFA comps.

Alexis Lafreniere has a cap hit of $2.325 million through next season. Tim Stutzle's is $8.35 for the next 7 or 8 seasons, but that includes some UFA years. Vilardi is $3.44 for the next two seasons. Those are just the first few that came to mind. But based on comps and production, I think a couple seasons around $5 million would be very fair. I can't imagine arbitration awarding more than that (even if he was eligible, which I don't think he is).

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
probably not a conversation that goes over too well with a businessman like papa phil though
As a ex-businessman I had to make costly and painful decisions but I couldn't fire myself.

On the other hand I had no problem firing those that made them.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I thought for sure he was up to at least 35 points or so, just checked and nope, 28. Even seeing him hit more and play a little bit better since Todd's firing doesn't even impress me. He was overpaid the moment the contract was signed. He is RyJo 2.0.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I thought for sure he was up to at least 35 points or so, just checked and nope, 28. Even seeing him hit more and play a little bit better since Todd's firing doesn't even impress me. He was overpaid the moment the contract was signed. He is RyJo 2.0.
Meanwhile Vilardi has 30 points playing in only 38 games to Dubois’ 63. Despite this I’m still only 20% confident Blake gets fired in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad