Dubois

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If PLD replaces Kopitar we are screwed. He is the antithesis of everything we need in a #1 center.
I don't like to beat a dead horse but its not just his productions that is the problem.
His D zone is lazy
His O zone play is opportunistic not dictated (granted he has had some moments),
Overall body language on the ice is not ideal for a player that is supposed to be replacing our face franchise center.

I pray that PLD turns it around but I also pray this is the nail in the coffin for Blake and Luc.

Boldfaced is the thesis

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I am not even sure it's fair to say that he is a point-per-game player that just doesn't care and that is causing the statistically awful season. The doesn't care part is true, but his skill level with the puck has also evaporated from what he has shown in the past. Getting back to the Richards example because it's hard to not compare them at this point. It was different in that Richards cared still, but physically couldn't keep up with the game, but his problems were also compounded because the chances he did get, it looked like he was playing with a 9-iron. It's the same thing with PLD, when he does end up with a high chance opportunity to generate offense he often just flubs it. I remember commenting in a GDT during the Vancouver game how he fanned on a one-timer on the PP where there was nobody within 12 feet of him and connecting would have generated a grade-A scoring chance. We have seen that type of thing so many times this season.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
If Dubois gets bought out, how much would he have to earn on a new contract to be better off? Could it work in his benefit to be bought out?

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
They are not buying out Dubois after this season. It's an 8 year deal. I have been watching hockey for quite a while now, longer than some posters here have been alive, and this is something that has never happened. I have never seen any player get a contract of this magnitude only to be bought out after one year. I cant remember anyone who has been bought out of more than 4 years, ever.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
PLD will have 7 years after this season. He is only 25. I would assume the Kings will let this play out another few seasons before making a harsh decision like that.

Buying him out with 3-4 seasons left and he's almost 30 is one thing, buying him out at 25 years old and one year into the deal is pretty insane.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
PLD will have 7 years after this season. He is only 25. I would assume the Kings will let this play out another few seasons before making a harsh decision like that.

Buying him out with 3-4 seasons left and he's almost 30 is one thing, buying him out at 25 years old and one year into the deal is pretty insane.
No big name player will accept a trade or sign UFA with LA again if they just do it after one year. 3-4 seasons in and he’s still that bad? Much more understandable.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019

What is really insane is signing him to begin with. The guy is a big time problem child that the Kings really didn't need and yet ignorant Blake brought him onboard and is stuck with him for the next 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: Schrute farms

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Has there been a higher maintenance player than Pierre LD? Dude needs more attention than a single mother waiting on child support.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

If the buyout is this season, the cap hit, albeit longer, will be more forgiving (three seasons of ~$3.8 million max, then the other 11 seasons of under $3 million - 9 of those 11 seasons would be under 2).

After this year, you're looking at multiple years of $4.8 million, with a floor of the low $2 million the rest of the seasons. You'll get only one season of a $4.8 million cap hit if they can hang on till 2029.

A buyout this season is unlikely, but it would hurt the team alot less... unless, of course he decides to start caring with his new team next season.
No big name player will accept a trade or sign UFA with LA again if they just do it after one year. 3-4 seasons in and he’s still that bad? Much more understandable.
Vegas doesn't have issues retaining talent after how they handled Fleury. Or benching Shipachyov after a handful of games and coming overseas.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

on one hand,

1711949198030.gif

On the other, I think it would send a clear message that this franchise will take good care of you if you don't suck a bag of dicks, look at all the 'favors' blake has done for players to put them in better spots, and I'm saying that unsarcastically, sarcastically i'm saying 'check out rob the rebuilder building 5 other teams instead of 1'

Reactions: Kudelski37

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
When is the next CBA up? Maybe we get lucky and every team is gifted a CBO or something.

Kings will never be a serious contender with a guy like PLD making $8.5m. Never.

Reactions: tigermask48

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If the buyout is this season, the cap hit, albeit longer, will be more forgiving (three seasons of ~$3.8 million max, then the other 11 seasons of under $3 million - 9 of those 11 seasons would be under 2).

After this year, you're looking at multiple years of $4.8 million, with a floor of the low $2 million the rest of the seasons. You'll get only one season of a $4.8 million cap hit if they can hang on till 2029.

A buyout this season is unlikely, but it would hurt the team alot less... unless, of course he decides to start caring with his new team next season.

Vegas doesn't have issues retaining talent after how they handled Fleury. Or benching Shipachyov after a handful of games and coming overseas.
You HAVE to buy him out. Saves ownership over $30 million, gives immediate cap relief to a team with much more than one hole to fill, and removes a massively underperforming pariah that has been a league-wide embarrassment to the organization.

On the other hand... it leaves egg on Blake's face - on top of about four other eggs.

There is no reason to keep him. This is why you have to be wary of putting former players into management. Too many benefits of too many doubts given to too many undeserving "brothers".

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings will never be a serious contender with a guy like PLD making $8.5m. Never.
And this is the most depressing part about our current situation.

If the Kings wanted to rebuild, they have plenty of tradable assets to get it kick started, but there's nothing you can do about that 8.5M boat anchor contract.

They're not going to buy him out, and he has a full NMC starting next year.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You HAVE to buy him out. Saves ownership over $30 million, gives immediate cap relief to a team with much more than one hole to fill, and removes a massively underperforming pariah that has been a league-wide embarrassment to the organization.

On the other hand... it leaves egg on Blake's face - on top of about four other eggs.

There is no reason to keep him. This is why you have to be wary of putting former players into management. Too many benefits of too many doubts given to too many undeserving "brothers".

1711986364038.png

What bland said was already perfect, but Morgan Freeman agreeing with it makes it 80% more true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad