Dubois

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Listening to Kings media, the defense for Dubois’ lack of production is that he was signed to a long term deal because his future seasons will justify the cost. He is expected to be the #1C who takes over for Kopitar in a few more seasons.

If that is true, I think it’s fair to question why management would choose to pay this player at this time before he’s proven he’s worth the contract and trade pieces. I can’t recall a single player signed under similar circumstances. Where you pay for top of the depth chart now and play him bottom minutes also.

Even Fiala got top six minutes last year when he was on the “third line” at even strength. He was fourth among forwards with over 17 mins a game. This year Dubois is 7th at less than 16 mins a game and playing around one less shift a game than Byfield. So he’s clearly well behind Danault and Kopitar. Neither of whom are having really great seasons.

What made Blake and Luc really believe that Dubois was ready to be a #1C anytime soon?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
What made Blake and Luc really believe that Dubois was ready to be a #1C anytime soon?
In a word. Nepotism

Marc Bergevin + Luc + the Brisson being Blake, Luc's, Fiala's and 3 other player's agents
1710184349786.png

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Listening to Kings media, the defense for Dubois’ lack of production is that he was signed to a long term deal because his future seasons will justify the cost. He is expected to be the #1C who takes over for Kopitar in a few more seasons.

If that is true, I think it’s fair to question why management would choose to pay this player at this time before he’s proven he’s worth the contract and trade pieces. I can’t recall a single player signed under similar circumstances. Where you pay for top of the depth chart now and play him bottom minutes also.

Even Fiala got top six minutes last year when he was on the “third line” at even strength. He was fourth among forwards with over 17 mins a game. This year Dubois is 7th at less than 16 mins a game and playing around one less shift a game than Byfield. So he’s clearly well behind Danault and Kopitar. Neither of whom are having really great seasons.

Ridiculous if true.

Byfield right now with his improving skills and his tenacity away from the puck is bar none better than Dubois at his best nights. He should be the main focus on being the future 1C. Dubois is still a good player when he's on but I just don't see him as the future franchise center right now. Only way I see that happening is they decide to keep Byfield as a winger to pair him with Dubois on the top line. But when you do that, you're back to finding a 2C. Shit doesn't make sense, but then again, this is the LA Kings management at work. I shouldn't be surprised at what f***ery they're trying to build here.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
8 with the Ducks, but at close to 50% less in total revenue to that of the Kings players.
I’m asking rather than researching as I’d have no idea where to start, so… how many other teams have 5 or more of his clients. Do any have 0? The main question being are the Kings a significant outlier (other than the Ducks)? Do other teams have similar patterns with other Agents? My bet is that they do.

My point being is that firstly business of any type gets done most commonly done with people you know (personally or professionally). That’s not necessarily good or bad. Secondly even if his clients were truly distributed randomly, you wouldn’t get the same number at each team. There would absolutely be outliers.

So the numbers in of themselves tell us very little.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013

Because Dubois has all the Moneyball 5 tool bullshit that old school guys look for. He is big, he is tall, he has good fundamentals, he has vision and a good shot. They thought they could take a raw gem and carve it in to a gem stone.

What they didn't realize is Dubois has no interest or drive to be a 1st line center, does not have the talent to use his talent to the fullest, and has coasted on much stronger players feeding him all his career. Dubois is a player who thrives with dominant players, not someone who makes players stronger.

Look at how, briefly, he had some chemistry with Byfield. That is because Byfield makes players better because his skating, size, and hockey IQ makes up for so many mistakes and creates scoring chances from nothing.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I’m asking rather than researching as I’d have no idea where to start, so… how many other teams have 5 or more of his clients. Do any have 0? The main question being are the Kings a significant outlier (other than the Ducks)? Do other teams have similar patterns with other Agents? My bet is that they do.

My point being is that firstly business of any type gets done most commonly done with people you know (personally or professionally). That’s not necessarily good or bad. Secondly even if his clients were truly distributed randomly, you wouldn’t get the same number at each team. There would absolutely be outliers.

So the numbers in of themselves tell us very little.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Ridiculous if true.

Byfield right now with his improving skills and his tenacity away from the puck is bar none better than Dubois at his best nights. He should be the main focus on being the future 1C. Dubois is still a good player when he's on but I just don't see him as the future franchise center right now. Only way I see that happening is they decide to keep Byfield as a winger to pair him with Dubois on the top line. But when you do that, you're back to finding a 2C. Shit doesn't make sense, but then again, this is the LA Kings management at work. I shouldn't be surprised at what f***ery they're trying to build here.

The scenario where Byfield is #1C by season’s end is more probable than a cup win today and for any foreseeable year. So imagine a scenario where Byfield holds out because there isn’t money to pay him due to cap constraints. It’s the ultimate mismanagement situation and is more likely than a championship.

Because Dubois has all the Moneyball 5 tool bullshit that old school guys look for. He is big, he is tall, he has good fundamentals, he has vision and a good shot. They thought they could take a raw gem and carve it in to a gem stone.

What they didn't realize is Dubois has no interest or drive to be a 1st line center, does not have the talent to use his talent to the fullest, and has coasted on much stronger players feeding him all his career. Dubois is a player who thrives with dominant players, not someone who makes players stronger.

Look at how, briefly, he had some chemistry with Byfield. That is because Byfield makes players better because his skating, size, and hockey IQ makes up for so many mistakes and creates scoring chances from nothing.

I don’t think this management team looks that far down the road. Blake seems to understand that he will be held accountable for his offseason moves in short order. My suspicion is he wanted to spend the money for an impact player, but got told to sign PLD.

Everything we hear is about wins and losses plus Blake is rich and doesn’t need this shit. PLD is just a symptom of the core dis function within management.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Brisson has been a super agent for decades. As Kings fans we should focus our ire on the current management. There is no Illuminati conspiracy behind the lack of playoff success for the past decade.

Reactions: SettlementRichie10

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Blake does have the look of a guy who f***ing hates his job right now.
You have to wonder what he's thinking when he watches PLD mope around the ice and put in a half hearted effort night after night.

"I signed THIS guy to an eight year deal? What was I thinking?"

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Dubois isn't a 3rd line center.

The point of bringing him in is so you have 3 scoring lines that you can roll.

The Kings don't have elite talent, so you counter with depth. It's not meant to be a traditional 1st/2nd/3rd line setup.

8.5M is perfectly fine for the role in theory. The problem is that Dubois isn't fulfilling that role because he sucks.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Dubois isn't a 3rd line center.

The point of bringing him in is so you have 3 scoring lines that you can roll.

The Kings don't have elite talent, so you counter with depth. It's not meant to be a traditional 1st/2nd/3rd line setup.

8.5M is perfectly fine for the role in theory. The problem is that Dubois isn't fulfilling that role because he sucks.
It made no sense to give ANY player that contract last summer. So many teams had little to no cap space that there wasn't much competition to take on big commitments or sign free agents. Players were willing to sign short term deals so they could get more money once the cap increased. Trading a bunch of assets and including a max contract for a very flawed support player was the perfect storm of bad management.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It made no sense to give ANY player that contract last summer. So many teams had little to no cap space that there wasn't much competition to take on big commitments or sign free agents. Players were willing to sign short term deals so they could get more money once the cap increased. Trading a bunch of assets and including a max contract for a very flawed support player was the perfect storm of bad management.
It makes plenty of sense if he was good. 25yo centers with his attributes don't grown on trees.

PLD looks good on paper. He sucks in real life.

Reactions: Fripp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad