Dubas vs. Dorion. Who is the better GM?

Dubas vs. Dorion. Who is the better GM?

• Total voters

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Dubas by a fair margin.

Dorion has had a lot of bad trades, a few good ones. Yes, he has drafted well, but that's because of good amateur scouts (to be fair, some of his bad trades were due to terrible pro scouts). I'll give him credit for not trading away core players (since Zibanejad). He blew it the last couple years being unable to add badly needed defensemen, watching New Jersey (and Toronto over 4 years) do it with ease.

Dubas has done a decent job surrounding the Leafs' core with good secondary talent. He took over a team with a bad defense, now they are decent. He hired a good coach in Keefe, the team defends well and has a good system. On the negative side, Dubas acting like he's a genius and smartest man in the room, plus adding every former Soo Greyhound is stupid. It was smart not signing Campbell. Letting Andersen go wasn't a bad idea as he's always injured. Adding 2 goalies that could possibly play well was ok (you'd think 1 will be healthy and play ok), although Kuemper or Georgiev would have been better.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It's going to take the team to be sold. Then they will hire new management who will hire new coaching staff. Which will happen in the next few months

I don't think this poll was made the way you're talking about. OP doesn't seem to be a Sens fan, he seems more like a neutral fan who doesn't post on any team board.

I am one of the 12 Sens fans who voted Dubas here but I don't know why you keep going on about this

The Leafs are mainly built this way...

2016 Auston Matthews 1st OA
2015 Mitch Marner 4th OA
2014 William Nylander 8th OA
2012 Morgan Rielly 5th OA
I'm sorry but I've been able to detail to you moves Dubas has made beyond picking top 5. Of which I think he wasn't the gm at the time anyways.

I'm clearly going on about this so that those so quick to jump on the pile to poo poo on the Leafs learn something moving forward...

Polls are stupid. Ottawa fans can kindly stay in their lane and focus on Ottawa?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm sorry but I've been able to detail to you moves Dubas has made beyond picking top 5. Of which I think he wasn't the gm at the time anyways.

I'm clearly going on about this so that those so quick to jump on the pile to poo poo on the Leafs learn something moving forward...

Polls are stupid. Ottawa fans can kindly stay in their lane and focus on Ottawa?

OP. is. NOT. a. Sens. fan.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
OP. is. NOT. a. Sens. fan.
Op is likely a leaf hater and wanted to seat Dubas beneath the lowly senators.

Same difference.

Was this stupid poll created after Giroux signed with Ottawa? Is that what sparked this shit?

I'll check the dates and see, but that would be my guess. Leafs signed Murray and Giroux signed with Ottawa and boom! Let's create a stupid poll poo pooing on the Leafs!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Same difference.

Was this stupid poll created after Giroux signed with Ottawa? Is that what sparked this shit?

I'll check the dates and see, but that would be my guess. Leafs signed Murray and Giroux signed with Ottawa and boom! Let's create a stupid poll poo pooing on the Leafs!

What’s funny is that Giroux has been extremely good for the Senators.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
What’s funny is that Giroux has been extremely good for the Senators.
Giroux signed after the 11th so two days later.

The Murray trade happened on the 11th. This poll was created because of the Murray deal. So I get it. Dubas didn't sign fan fav Campbell and let him go and instead picked up Murray from Ottawa and boom! We have a leaf poo poo poll!

HF boards are so freakin predictable!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Same difference.

Yes but you've been going on about Ottawa fans "not kindly stay in their lane"

Look, I really tried but I am just not able to follow your logic.

Regardless, this thread is legit, it's comparing 2 GMs and people have the right to have an opinion. There's way too much "resistance" about why a poll is made or not. It happened to me the other day. Let things be for Christ's sake. Comment on the subject or just avoid it

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Giroux signed after the 11th so two days later.

The Murray trade happened on the 11th. This poll was created because of the Murray deal. So I get it. Dubas didn't sign fan fav Campbell and let him go and instead picked up Murray from Ottawa and boom! We have a leaf poo poo poll!

HF boards are so freakin predictable!

You do realize that there’s a poll on Campbell vs Murray/Samsonov started by a Leaf fan a couple posts down that is dated July 17th?

Are you going to harangue that “Leaf-hater” too?

You’re being awfully selective.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dorion? Break that down. lol. I'm dying to read how.

He's made several good moves that get a lot of press but it's the countless little mistakes and total lack of foresight that prevents him from getting out of his own rebuild. Oh and also mainly his sink or swim coaching staff. Looks like he'll sink with it

I could do something more detailed when I have time if you want

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He's made several good moves that get a lot of press but it's the countless little mistakes and total lack of foresight that prevents him from getting out of his own rebuild. Oh and also mainly his sink or swim coaching staff. Looks like he'll sink with it

I could do something more detailed when I have time if you want

You just said he nullified any small gains he may have made with equally stupid moves or hires.

Dubas has consistently sorrounded his core players with more the competent talent and finds year after year...allowing at the least progression in the regular season. Last year they had the most points in the regular season in team history. The year before they were first overall. One team is consistently making the playoffs, the other is consistently at the bottom of the division.

So again...wtf are we even comparing here?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You just said he nullified any small gains he may have made with equally stupid moves or hires.

Dubas has consistently sorrounded his core players with more the competent talent and finds year after year...allowing at the least progression in the regular season. Last year they had the most points in the regular season in team history. The year before they were first overall. One team is consistently making the playoffs, the other is consistently at the bottom of the division.

All Dubas has done in his time, is bring in minimum wage players, each year, because he hamstrung himself, weird you can’t see that after 4 years of rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Do you have a problem with concentration or something? I already told you that I voted Dubas. We are discussing hockey, are we not? So quit the pissing match focus for one second and discuss the subject at hand

You asked YOURSELF a specific question about Dorion which was "Dorion? Break that down"

I started answering but why are you going back to talk about Dubas? Makes no sense

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Last year they had the most points in the regular season in team history. The year before they were first overall.
They’ve never been first overall . Unless your talking about winning the Canadian division in a partial season lol. You do realize overall includes all teams in league.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Do you have a problem with concentration or something? I already told you that I voted Dubas. We are discussing hockey, are we not? So quit the pissing match focus for one second and discuss the subject at hand

You asked YOURSELF a specific question about Dorion which was "Dorion? Break that down"

I started answering but why are you going back to talk about Dubas? Makes no sense
From another drytoast post in another thread yesterday.

I'm a child and my child brain heard this when I read the thread title...

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

No I asked for a sane arguement as to why 196 voters logically picked Dorion in this stupid poo poo poll? Otherwise I just gotta assume that it was a poo poo pile on because Dubas made the correct but unpopular choice to not sign Campbell long term to a hefty contract.

You picked Dubas. It was the correct and obvious choice. But because you chose correctly it would make you bend sound reasoning and logic in trying to explain the voting results. I can't either. The only explination there is, is the childish obvious one that seems to be systemic to these boards. It was emotional. They voted based on their feelings. lol.

And notice how, now that it's pretty much played out to how Dubas likely predicted I'm not seeing a poo poo on Holland Poll comparing him to Dubas?

If you REALLY wanted an honest hockey talk, then you would ask if it's feezable for a GM to only pay the really crazy talent on your team and the acknowledge that players like a Hyman or a Campbell are replaceable?

You'd likely say "well that kind of style of payout can't get past the first round!" But then that has nothing to do with Dorion or Dorion's prowess as a GM. Because he hasn't accomplished a damn thing yet. They are clearly still rebuilding. And if they are NOT then he needs to be graded pretty f***ing poorly for not progressing at all again this year.

So this poll wasn't asking an honest question The two GM's are no where near comparable right now since their teams are nowhere near competitive with eachother atm. It was a low brow poo poo'ing poll on the Leafs...again. And I've taken pleasure pointing that out. Before I even checked I was able to predict why this stupid poll was created. And then when I checked the dates, oh look! I was correct!

These boards...so predictable.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No I asked for a sane arguement as to why 196 voters logically picked Dorion in this stupid poo poo poll? Otherwise I just gotta assume that it was a poo poo pile on because Dubas made the correct but unpopular choice to not sign Campbell long term to a hefty contract.

And notice how, now that it's pretty much played out to how Dubas likely predicted I'm not seeing a poo poo on Holland Poll comparing him to Dubas?

You picked Dubas. It was the correct and obvious choice. But because you chose correctly it would make you bend sound reasoning and logic in trying to explain the voting results. I can't either. The only explination there is, is the childish obvious one that seems to be systemic to these boards. It was emotional. They voted based on their feelings. lol.

If you REALLY wanted an honest hockey talk, then you would ask if it's feezable for a GM to only pay the really crazy talent on your team and the acknowledge that players like a Hyman or a Campbell are replaceable?

You'd likely say "well that kind of style of payout can't get past the first round!" But then that has nothing to do with Dorion or Dorion's prowess as a GM. Because he hasn't accomplished a damn thing yet. They are clearly still rebuilding. And if they are NOT then he needs to be graded pretty f***ing poorly for not progressing at all again this year.

So this poll wasn't asking an honest question The two GM's are no where near comparable right now since their teams are nowhere near competitive with eachother atm. It was a low brow poo poo'ing poll on the Leafs...again. And I've taken pleasure pointing that out. Before I even checked I was able to predict why this stupid poll was created. And then when I checked the dates, oh look! I was correct!

These boards...so predictable.
He’s accomplished way more than Dubas, even though you say, nothing.
His team got one goal away in double OT from the Stanley cup. Dubas’s team can’t win a round.

Whereas you come up with the BS that TO was first overall a couple of years ago.

No need to be so salty, just take the “L” and move along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad