Dubas vs. Dorion. Who is the better GM?

Dubas vs. Dorion. Who is the better GM?

• Total voters

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
I'm not going to vote because I don't have a good answer. Dorian has absolutely been killing so far this off-season, but this is the first time in a while that I'm not terrified about him trying to "make moves". Apart from some inflated contracts Dubas has done a pretty good job as far as I can tell, but then he decided that Matt Murray, who a lottery team figured wasn't a fit as their starter, could backstop a team with cup aspirations.

Reactions: Sureves

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I've been very critical of Dorion the past few years, but also had a suspicion that he had an insanely low internal cap - potentially under the floor.

In retrospect, he's done some good move considering. Now that he's "free", he's killing it.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Dubas by a country mile.

Dubas is extremely good at filling out his roster, I know he has the advantage of managing the Leafs but he’s assembled a good team.

Don’t give me that first round bullshit anymore, no one can look at the Toronto roster that they’ve iced the past couple of years and tell me they don’t have a good team.

The Stanley Cup playoffs are inherently flawed at figuring out how good your team is.

Toronto theoretically could have beaten 14 out of the 15 other teams but matched up against the one team they can’t beat in the first round.

Tampa theoretically could have only beaten 4 out of the 15 teams and win the cup but got matched against all 4 teams on the path to lord Stanley.

This is a scenario that could happen and it’s obviously exaggerated but the point is that it’s very flawed to just look at the playoffs to determine how goof a team is.

I’m not making excuses for them, yes at some point you have to get over that hump.

Dubas has assembled a stellar team in my opinion.

On the flip side, I don’t know if it’s correlation or causation but Dorion without EM seems to be making better moves. Let’s see what else he does, but Kyle’s body of work trumps his quite easily.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's definitely Dubas.

Dorion is a HORRIBLE GM. Worst in league, or close. Now in his defense, he seems to have done a few pretty good moves this off-season, so good for Sens fans, as it's about time. But he's done a ton of bad moves (and some hilariously bad moves) over the years, and usually just seems lost.

Dubas seems a lot more capable, and has done a good job in trades/UFA signings over the years. Obviously playoff wins aren't there - and it's always fun to make fun of the Leafs so i'm sure many will vote against him. But objectively, there's no question in my mind he's been the much, much better GM than Dorion so far.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
how can anyone say Dorion is a better GM with a straight face? He hasn't made Ottawa good lol. Im a leafs fan but not a Dubas fan. I don't understand the voting.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dorion's come a long way from "we're a team", to the moves he's made in the past week.

Dubas' trajectory has kind of gone in the opposite direction, promoted as some sort of wunderkind GM, inheriting a stacked team but still seemingly incapable of getting past that first hurdle year after year.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Dorion's come a long way from "we're a team", to the moves he's made in the past week.

Dubas' trajectory has kind of gone in the opposite direction, promoted as some sort of wunderkind GM, inheriting a stacked team but still seemingly incapable of getting past that first hurdle year after year.
Totally. That’s why Dorion had a 115 point team last year and Dubas is trending in the wrong direction. Good logic.

This alone is probably the only move I don’t understand quite as much by Dubas. 1 potentially bad move doesn’t mean we flip the gm from a bottom dweller and replace him with a 115 point GM.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Totally. That’s why Dorian had a 115 point team last year and Dubas is trending in the wrong direction. Good logic.

This alone is probably the only move I don’t understand quite as much by Dubas. 1 potentially bad move doesn’t mean we flip the gm from a bottom dweller and replace him with a 115 point GM.

Ok.

Would you say Dubas is looked at more favourably now, or back when he came in as the Leafs GM?

When he took over in 2017 or 2018, whenever it was, he was the hot-shot replacement to Lou, Shanny's pick to take the Leafs to the next level. He's accomplished nothing, or next to nothing if you want to start counting regular season accomplishments and say they matter. :dunno:

And sure, I get it, Ottawa's been a tire fire for years, but at least with Melnyk gone, Sens fans have reason for optimism this summer. Dorion's had a good offseason so far and it'll be interesting to see what both teams do this summer.

If, by next spring, we're looking back at the season and neither team progressed past the first round, I don't think Dubas has a job. Dorion still might.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Ok.

Would you say Dubas is looked at more favourably now, or back when he came in as the Leafs GM?

When he took over in 2017 or 2018, whenever it was, he was the hot-shot replacement to Lou, Shanny's pick to take the Leafs to the next level. He's accomplished nothing, or next to nothing if you want to start counting regular season accomplishments and say they matter. :dunno:

And sure, I get it, Ottawa's been a tire fire for years, but at least with Melnyk gone, Sens fans have reason for optimism this summer. Dorion's had a good offseason so far and it'll be interesting to see what both teams do this summer.

If, by next spring, we're looking back at the season and neither team progressed past the first round, I don't think Dubas has a job. Dorion still might.
The only thing that the leafs don’t have that’s better when he took over is a playoff series win. They’ve literally improved in almost every area since he came to the leafs. They just had their best season in franchise history under Dubas.

You guys get all upset about the leafs and can’t see the forest from the trees.

But, for example:

He took:
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Ozhiganov/ Borgman/ Polak

And in supposed cap hell, turned it into:
Rielly Sandin
Muzzin Brodie
Giordano Liljegren

Depth is better all over the roster. He’s found diamond cheap contracts all over the place. Spezza, Gio, Bunting, Kampf, Kase. And now has 1 possibly bad trade (which I don’t love. At all) and you guys are putting him behind Dorion because the latter made 2 good trades? Nice logic. The leafs were a 115 point team with <.900 goaltending for 7 of 8 months. Murray if anything is more of the same. The sky isn’t falling like you guys want it to. Silly thread.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The only thing that the leafs don’t have that’s better when he took over is a playoff series win. They’ve literally improved in almost every area since he came to the leafs. They just had their best season in franchise history under Dubas.

You guys get all upset about the leafs and can’t see the forest from the trees.

But, for example:

He took:
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Ozhiganov/ Borgman/ Polak

And in supposed cap hell, turned it into:
Rielly Sandin
Muzzin Brodie
Giordano Liljegren

Depth is better all over the roster. He’s found diamond cheap contracts all over the place. Spezza, Gio, Bunting, Kampf, Kase. And now has 1 possibly bad trade (which I don’t love. At all) and you guys are putting him behind Dorion because the latter made 2 good trades? Nice logic. The leafs were a 115 point team with <.900 goaltending for 7 of 8 months. Murray if anything is more of the same. The sky isn’t falling like you guys want it to. Silly thread.

If the Leafs rack up 120 points next season, but then fall in the first round, did Dubas have an even better season? :dunno:

And yes, you're right, the Leafs have done quite well in the regular season. Great individual performances by many Leafs players. I'm sure Dubas was elated to see Matthews clean up at the awards ceremony - before the league's attention returned to the Cup final, anyway.

Also, I never put him behind Dorion; I just said they're trending in opposite directions.

Dorion's had some rough years at the helm of the Sens, but things are looking up and he's making some great moves.

Dubas has had some shiny regular seasons with great individual numbers but he's won as many playoff series as Dorion has - and just got taken behind the woodshed on this Murray deal. And, like I mentioned earlier, if Dubas is once again unable to make any meaningful progress with the Leafs once the games actually matter, he's as good as gone.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If the Leafs rack up 120 points next season, but then fall in the first round, did Dubas have an even better season? :dunno:

And yes, you're right, the Leafs have done quite well in the regular season. Great individual performances by many Leafs players. I'm sure Dubas was elated to see Matthews clean up at the awards ceremony - before the league's attention returned to the Cup final, anyway.

Also, I never put him behind Dorion; I just said they're trending in opposite directions.

Dorion's had some rough years at the helm of the Sens, but things are looking up and he's making some great moves.

Dubas has had some shiny regular seasons with great individual numbers but he's won as many playoff series as Dorion has - and just got taken behind the woodshed on this Murray deal. And, like I mentioned earlier, if Dubas is once again unable to make any meaningful progress with the Leafs once the games actually matter, he's as good as gone.
He’s literally not trending in the opposite direction by any measure but this trade. That’s the point. His body of work has generally been good. I do think if they don’t make it out of the first round he’s gone. But I think he pushed his chips in on a group of guys that collectively haven’t gotten it done for 1 reason or another. I’d say the players are more at fault than he is at this point. He’s revamped the team completely to a structured solid team and they haven’t won. You don’t get to say he’s trending badly because of a single trade lol. It’s laughably short sighted

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Dorion was horrible while Melnyk was alive but he seems like a new man now. I need to give this some more time. Dubas has put together a good team but I believe the Tavares contract was a huge blunder. If they'd allocated that money elsewhere (defense) they may have already won a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad