Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
People need to really stop overrating/underrating Dubas for every move he makes, some moves he makes are just average run on the mill moves, they aren't amazing and they aren't terrible.

I like his moves so far but the constant over reaction is a bit much, it will just end up leading to backlash when people get frustrated with the insane amount of tire pumping.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
People need to really stop overrating/underrating Dubas for every move he makes, some moves he makes are just average run on the mill moves, they aren't amazing and they aren't terrible.

I like his moves so far but the constant over reaction is a bit much, it will just end up leading to backlash when people get frustrated with the insane amount of tire pumping.
Fans of teams that acquire elite talent cheaply will always praise their GMs to the skies. There's nothing really odd about the praise Dubas gets. Are people getting a bit overenthusiastic? Sure, but that's a natural consequence of such a start.

Reactions: weems

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Fans of teams that acquire elite talent cheaply will always praise their GMs to the skies. There's nothing really odd about the praise Dubas gets. Are people getting a bit overenthusiastic? Sure, but that's a natural consequence of such a start.

The Martin trade was the one I thought was a little but much. I’m glad Martin is gone but the trade wasn’t that impressive.

Reactions: SI90

LeafsBoyo

Oct 18, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Honestly think the Warriors dynasty/getting Cousins for cheap will help Dubas sell discounts to the big 3. They are all big basketball fans. They should see the value of sticking together over trying to squeek out a few million. Enjoy playing with other marquee players, share the pressure with each other and prioritize winning.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Honestly think the Warriors dynasty/getting Cousins for cheap will help Dubas sell discounts to the big 3. They are all big basketball fans. They should see the value of sticking together over trying to squeek out a few million. Enjoy playing with other marquee players, share the pressure with each other and prioritize winning.
I hope that's the case. I really wonder how the agents of the Basketball players deal with situations like that.

If we can get the big three to all buy in, that's huge and potentially would leave enough space for a little help on D.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dubas keeps mentioning prospects playing the way "we play" as one of the reasons for taking them in the draft. Given our enourmous financial resources, I wouldn't be surprised if a systems oriented guy like Dubas will make a strong push to establish something along the lines of a Maple Leaf Academy, similar to how big budget soccer teams have.

Instead of looking for players that already play our style, we'd be pumping drafts full of guys who already have 3+ years experience of doing so. Certainly wouldn't hurt our chances of them wanting to play for us when they hit UFA either.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
He should sign Marner, Matthews and Nylander before the season starts. Especially Marner as he's going to ask for more if he goes PPG playing with Tavares.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Dubas keeps mentioning prospects playing the way "we play" as one of the reasons for taking them in the draft. Given our enourmous financial resources, I wouldn't be surprised if a systems oriented guy like Dubas will make a strong push to establish something along the lines of a Maple Leaf Academy, similar to how big budget soccer teams have.

Instead of looking for players that already play our style, we'd be pumping drafts full of guys who already have 3+ years experience of doing so. Certainly wouldn't hurt our chances of them wanting to play for us when they hit UFA either.

IF it works out, he's a genius. We have draft "pundits"/people who read Bobby Mac's list questioning his picks...

But like you said you can't deny every player he picked has good hockey IQ, plays the game fast and has many of the skills in their toolbox that the Leafs covet in their system. If it works out he's essentially drafting "best fit for our system" which is a very good idea on paper.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Are you talking about developing these kids before they enter the NHL Draft? It's an intriguing concept, but wouldn't you be developing talent for other teams as well? How do you ensure you're the team who gets them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad