Status
Not open for further replies.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
he passed a test like a champ.
but like let's see how he handles his first crisis
let's see how he handles TDL
let's see how the Big 3 contracts shake down
let's see how he has another few things under his belt.

it's not just Yay, Tavares! everything is great now.and it' not just dubas, if it was fenton here i'd say the same thing.

That's true and we'll see in the future. At the moment I'm more than happy, because I trust our front office. I think Gilman was good add to our organization. Has experience from Canucks, that build contender. Isn't big name, more low key and flying under the radar type. So there is no hassle, but good experienced executive that can help with contract stuff, when we are building contender.

Reactions: Menzinger

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Agree with: signing Tavares, letting Bozak go, letting Komorov go, letting van Riemsdyk go, letting Polak go

Disagree with: signing Jooris, signing Ennis, signing Marincin

Undecided: trading Martin

Reactions: Duffman955

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agree with: signing Tavares, letting Bozak go, letting Komorov go, letting van Riemsdyk go, letting Polak go

If the only negatives are Marlies and depth signings at 650k for 1 yr. Thats really good

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Guys, as if it wasn’t delicious enough signing Tavares, I give to you... TWS’ slow unravelling on the Islanders board. I didn’t think I could be happier than I already was, and now I come across this treasure trove...

Baloney when you read this now. I am truly sorry Isles fans. You guys deserved better. But as I tell you guys, if the 2nd half of last season was any clue. Leafs are paying the highest paid player in the NHL on a decline. I doubt he is going to be having many career years in his late 20's and 30's. You will get better with Lou. One day A true Captain that is loyal and is a winner. In the end you don't want a Captain that leaves when the going gets tough.You want one that stays when the going is tough and the future is bright. That's where the Isles are at the moment. Keep your chins up!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Also disagree with trading down in the draft. Would never do that.

Why? You could argue he did not get enough in return (although it obviously was the best he got) and we got a prospect who fell and was arguably better than the guys taken at 25 (Bokk), 26 (Bernard-Docker), 27 (Beaudin) and 28 (Lundqvist). Veleno was also there for us to take, who fell and was also better than those guys. The additional pick allowed us to get SDA.

None of those guys match the criteria and philosophy set by Dubas like Sandin does (forget the SSM connection altogether). Really none of them looked better than Sandin in any way, but I guess they matched those teams' philosophies better. I doubt the Leafs would have considered most of them until pick 52 (outside of Bokk).

So what is wrong with getting free assets for a guy you would have taken at 25 anyways?

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Pretty much 90% of the fans in this forum would have signed Tavares, let Bozak,Komorov, JVR and Polak go. I don't see any genius moves so far.
He'll be judged on the draft and that will be decided in 4-5 years.

If he manages to trade for a top pairing D-man I'll be impressed.

Let's face it, he walked into a situation with a pretty good hand.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
he passed a test like a champ.
but like let's see how he handles his first crisis
let's see how he handles TDL
let's see how the Big 3 contracts shake down
let's see how he has another few things under his belt.

it's not just Yay, Tavares! everything is great now.and it' not just dubas, if it was fenton here i'd say the same thing.

and when did Mark Hunter do any of these things? i saw a coward tuck his tail and run. What NHL team hired him to be their GM btw? coveted hockey man.

also what the hell do most of the things you wrote even have to do with benig a GM? "First crisis" ??????? whats a crisis? the team strikes? Handles TDL? Hes made trades for the Leafs before. The 3 contracts? Well seeing as he got JT on a discount I'm confidant in his ability to do it. "let's see how he has another few things under his belt." this makes no sense.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I agree with everything he has done outside of maybe some of the selections he made in the draft (i.e. Durzi and Hollowell), but he earns a pardon on that since he did lose the Director of Scouting only a few weeks before. He's done a fair bit of significant stuff (and a lot of great minor moves) that has really vaulted the team forward and he's been GM for like a month. I think that is pretty good.

Signing Jooris is not a problem. He's a solid option to replace Aaltonen as the Marlies 1C next year. The real tragedy would be if Dubas or Babcock thinks he is a legitimate NHL option.

Marincin was one of the top defensemen in the AHL last year. He could be claimed on waivers or traded before he even gets back to the Marlies, because I can see teams considering him as a legitimate option for their NHL team. However, I would say there is a less than 5% chance that the Leafs are one of those teams, and that he'll be on the Marlies for most of the time if he is still in this organization.

Ennis is purely Leivo and injury insurance. He's not an amazing player, but he's making 650k and was one of the best options remaining to be the Leafs' depth winger. It was a pretty solid (and agreeable move).

The only other things on his summer checklist:
1) Bump Hainsey to the bottom pairing by getting an upgrade beside Rielly. May also mean that Carrick would have to be traded to relieve the defensive log jam on the Leafs.
2) Figure out what to do with Gardiner (possibly by using him to solve #1).
3) Relieve the defensive log jam on the Marlies (they have 9 guys on NHL contracts right now, excluding Hollowell and Durzi).
4) Trade 2 goalies. McAdam could very well end up as Marlies backup behind Kaskisuo next year, which makes two of Sparks, Pickard or McElhinney expendable. Even if McAdam does not make sense, none of those guys could slip through waivers anyways, which means we probably end up dealing two of them and just getting a better guy than McAdam as a part of the return.
5) *Optional* Depending on trades they make, fill in any remaining holes on the Leafs or Marlies. For example, signing Hamhuis to replace Gardiner. Maybe signing a LD if they trade both Nielsen and Marincin (which I think is possible). Signing a better goalie than McAdam to back up Kaskisuo and sending McAdam to the Growlers. Signing a forward if they trade Brown, Kapanen or Leivo to get a defenseman. Something like that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Pretty much 90% of the fans in this forum would have signed Tavares, let Bozak,Komorov, JVR and Polak go. I don't see any genius moves so far.

Though everyone of Bozak/jvr /Leo was signed to a fairly ugly contract in UFA by a professional Gm.

Yeah one can say these are “obvious” moves but I’d rather have a Gm do stuff like this than one constantly making bad moves

Edit: typo

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
What always kills me about people on HFBoards, is apparently you all peaked at your talents at like age 6. Martin Marancin couldnt of possibly went to the AHL and got developed by the Marlies staff and got better. its damn near impossible. He will come up and be bad again! The things he was bad at cant be fixed. Handling a puck? Not a chance. I mean forget the fact he has insaneee zone entry #s i believe, nah he couldnt handle a puck 2 yrs ago.

You know who else sucked like 3 yrs ago? Kadri. Now you all love him. Crazyyy development wow

Anyways Dubas is the best and Im a Rams fan/Leafs fan so its great hvaing 2 stars, Dubas and McVay, on my teams

GOod Day!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Imo nothing to complain about yet.

The draft likely remains his only “to be determined” set of moves so far,. Though when dealing with latebround selections it’s difficult to evaluate for a while - and a harder position to be in than being able to draft in the top 10

Reactions: SI90

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
and when did Mark Hunter do any of these things? i saw a coward tuck his tail and run. What NHL team hired him to be their GM btw? coveted hockey man.

okay?
and did i say anything about hunter? no.
did i even want hunter to have the job? no.
so why on earth are you bringing this up?
and for the the record, if hunter did have the job, i'd say the exact same thing.

also what the hell do most of the things you wrote even have to do with benig a GM? "First crisis" ??????? whats a crisis? the team strikes? Handles TDL? Hes made trades for the Leafs before. The 3 contracts? Well seeing as he got JT on a discount I'm confidant in his ability to do it. "let's see how he has another few things under his belt." this makes no sense.

right he's made trades before. but has he made trades with his team in ________ at deadline? (either positive or negative no he hasn't which is quite frankly different than doing it at the draft which is different than doing it a few months before camp.

Crisis. as in a big, unforseen situation that comes out of no where. ie: what if someone on the team has a full frontal nude pick unleashed to the world. (again). what if someone on the team decides to do a Drouin. (that's a crisis). what if the team for whatever reason eighteen wheelers it, how does he respond, that would be a crisis. so on and so forth.

Dubas said it himself. all 3 have different representatives. we hope he can get the three under contract taking less. until that happens it's not a given, and we have to see what they shake out to be. regardless of who the GM is,, I would be saying the same thing.

Good for you that you have faith in whatever Dubas does, quite frankly, he has to earn mine, whoever the GM was (even the guy I wanted) would have to earn it. just like Shanahan earned mine to the point i'm comfortable in whatever he decides.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Guys, as if it wasn’t delicious enough signing Tavares, I give to you... TWS’ slow unravelling on the Islanders board. I didn’t think I could be happier than I already was, and now I come across this treasure trove...

I'm confused......

Wasn't TWS a Leafs fan that bailed when things got tough for him?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Not sure why. it freed up cap room for a guy that was not going to play.

Reactions: Walshy7

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Anyone notice a trend? Last week no one said Tavares would go to the Leafs. Now I am seeing dozens of posts stating he was always a lock to go to the Leafs and Dubas did nothing.
WHAT? SERIOUSLY? WHERE WERE THESE POSTS LAST WEEK?
Last week it was Islanders 90%+ lock. If not. San Jose or TBay.

Reactions: Elephanto

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Well let's face it... he helped build what we have now. We were a shit show when he first got here.

He's built our development program and family programs from the ground up again. Built the Marlies into a Championship team and helped forge the paths of many of our prospects.

He didn't just walk into MNM and Tavares. He and everyone else in our management by and large have been here a while now.

The only things that changed is that we lost Hunter and Lou. Not a big deal. They did what they were specifically brought in for.

Dubas started as a young kid in the business and has earned every one of his steps up the ladder.

Who knows... without Dubas's vision and presentation we might not have signed JT.

He also did his best Shanny impression and didn't bring back a single player from last year that was a defensive liability no matter the other skill sets they provided. He culled the roster nicely.

His fingerprints are all over this rebuild...from the ground floor to the luxury box.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

LOL, suuure, I can see that pitch going very well.

Tavares: How are you going to keep the young core together for my full 7 years?
HF Poster: Umm... a guy on the Leafs forum has numbers that show we have cap room!
Tavares: I'm convinced. Sign me up!

Got him. :help:

Lou managed to scare Stamkos away. Tavares by all accounts was more prepared, with a list of tough questions, this idea that he didn't need any convincing is pure revisionist history.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Leafs could trade Carrick for Mcdavid and TWS would post about how CC has untapped potential.

I used to find it humerous but have since taken the advice around here and used the ignore list.

"McDavid is not as fast since joining the Leafs...while Carrick, he skates a bit like Paul Coffey..."

Reactions: Menzinger and Jmo89

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Not sure why. it freed up cap room for a guy that was not going to play.

Not sure if trading Martin was a good idea because I hate seeing the team getting bullied. I think there's enough talent on the 1st three lines for 2017-18 that having a tough player on the 4th line is now possible. Both teams in the finals had tough guys. I bet the cap space will be spent elsewhere anyway on guys like Jooris and Ennis who are a lot smaller and weaker and may be warming the bench as much as Martin did last year.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
"McDavid is not as fast since joining the Leafs...while Carrick, he skates a bit like Paul Coffey..."

"Kyle Dubas had nothing to do with getting McDavid for Carrick, anybody could have ripped off Chiarelli in a trade like that."

Deploy the memes!

4808055.jpg

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
What always kills me about people on HFBoards, is apparently you all peaked at your talents at like age 6. Martin Marancin couldnt of possibly went to the AHL and got developed by the Marlies staff and got better. its damn near impossible. He will come up and be bad again! The things he was bad at cant be fixed. Handling a puck? Not a chance. I mean forget the fact he has insaneee zone entry #s i believe, nah he couldnt handle a puck 2 yrs ago.

You know who else sucked like 3 yrs ago? Kadri. Now you all love him. Crazyyy development wow

Anyways Dubas is the best and Im a Rams fan/Leafs fan so its great hvaing 2 stars, Dubas and McVay, on my teams

GOod Day!

There is part of an interview with Dubas after the Calder win and he specifically brought up and said that MM had a redemption year working on his weaknesses and all the coaching staff was impressed by his play and off ice mentality.

He probably ends up as the 7th d this year or will do so if a move is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad