Confirmed with Link: Dubas the new GM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I just noticed I haven't seen posts anywhere on these boards from TWS since Tavares signed. Is he still around?

I had the misfortune of coming across a post. JT is apparently going to fall apart by year 4 of his contract. Islanders quite possibly dodged a bullet apparently.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Martin trade was the one I thought was a little but much. I’m glad Martin is gone but the trade wasn’t that impressive.

he got rid of a pretty yuck contract for zero retention and we didn't have to give up anything,
that's kind of impressive imo.

Reactions: weems

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
he got rid of a pretty yuck contract for zero retention and we didn't have to give up anything,
that's kind of impressive imo.

Eh like 5-7 teams were interested in Martin, he clearly had value. I think it's easy to forget that just because we don't need someone like Martin anymore doesn't mean other teams don't need someone like him.

Reactions: Duffman955

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Eh like 5-7 teams were interested in Martin, he clearly had value. I think it's easy to forget that just because we don't need someone like Martin anymore doesn't mean other teams don't need someone like him.

well that doesn't matter.
like i'm not blowing smoke up his butt, but he got rid of a bad contract for us, without having to retain or give up a pick. just because other teams were interested doesn't mean that would have been the deal regardless.

same with signing Tavares. I do think he gets a big attaboy for being impressive enough (because I feel he had to be, and focusing on the other aspects). maybe he was in the Stamkos meetings (maybe not) but everyone new it was over the top, and he adjusted. i think that deserves credit. i mean each their own but i don't see the problem of giving credit when due (and a chiding when due). i don't see it as being to over the top.

Reactions: weems and 7even

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
"Interest," you must admit, is pretty vague. We have no idea what people were looking for in a deal involving Martin and his contract - That goes for retention, contracts coming back, assets coming back, assets going the other way, any of it.

We got rid of $2.5M of dead cap space for 2 years, while sending a player to a destination where they and their family will be happy, and where he'll actually get a chance to play. Whether it's groundbreaking or not in terms of value coming back, I like the move on Dubas' part.

Reactions: SI90

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
well that doesn't matter.
like i'm not blowing smoke up his butt, but he got rid of a bad contract for us, without having to retain or give up a pick. just because other teams were interested doesn't mean that would have been the deal regardless.

same with signing Tavares. I do think he gets a big attaboy for being impressive enough (because I feel he had to be, and focusing on the other aspects). maybe he was in the Stamkos meetings (maybe not) but everyone new it was over the top, and he adjusted. i think that deserves credit. i mean each their own but i don't see the problem of giving credit when due (and a chiding when due). i don't see it as being to over the top.

Fair enough, I'm just worried that the more people pump his tires the more they will turn on him when he does something that's not popular.

I also find the Dubas fleeced Lou crowing slightly obnoxious for what's a really a run of the mill move. I really like the direction Dubas is taking the team I just think that we don't need to pretend every move is mind blowing.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
"Interest," you must admit, is pretty vague. We have no idea what people were looking for in a deal involving Martin and his contract - That goes for retention, contracts coming back, assets coming back, assets going the other way, any of it.

We got rid of $2.5M of dead cap space for 2 years, while sending a player to a destination where they and their family will be happy, and where he'll actually get a chance to play. Whether it's groundbreaking or not in terms of value coming back, I like the move on Dubas' part.

I like the move, I just don't think we need to be so over the top about it sometimes. Sometimes a move is good a solid C and that's okay. Anyways I've shared my opinion on this don't want to derail the thread.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Are you talking about developing these kids before they enter the NHL Draft? It's an intriguing concept, but wouldn't you be developing talent for other teams as well? How do you ensure you're the team who gets them?

We would benefit the most from drafting them. A big bruiser team would have no need for our small puck moving defensemen for example. The organization would also retain all the deep analytics on the kids so we'd know a good chunk of the draft better than any other team.

It's kind of what we were already doing with drafting from London and the Soo, but it wouldn't be limited to just 2 OHL teams. I'd imagine most junior aged kids would attend an intensive summer camp hosted by top-tier NHL skills coaches, especially if it was heavily subsidized by MLSE as their way of giving back to the community.

Other teams would be either forced to copy our style of play (and do worse than the original), or they'd be drafting prospects that no longer fit their different style of play.

Reactions: IBeL34f

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Kyle Dubas was apparently interviewed on TSN today.

Anything noteworthy?

He indicated that before they even spoke with JT they confirmed that all of their core (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) would remain for the long term and part of the selling feature in bringing JT to the leafs was that they would not have to dismantle / trade any of their core.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
PSX_20180704_202350.jpg

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
So happy Dubas is the GM. Still very early but I've loved everything he's done so far. Ink Nylander to a 7-8 year deal at under 7M and Dubas checks off everything I could hope for. No need to add a Dman now. We can play things out and add a rental at the deadline.

Thank you Shanny.
Thank you Dubby.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We would benefit the most from drafting them. A big bruiser team would have no need for our small puck moving defensemen for example. The organization would also retain all the deep analytics on the kids so we'd know a good chunk of the draft better than any other team.

It's kind of what we were already doing with drafting from London and the Soo, but it wouldn't be limited to just 2 OHL teams. I'd imagine most junior aged kids would attend an intensive summer camp hosted by top-tier NHL skills coaches, especially if it was heavily subsidized by MLSE as their way of giving back to the community.

Other teams would be either forced to copy our style of play (and do worse than the original), or they'd be drafting prospects that no longer fit their different style of play.
Interesting, thanks!

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Dubas earned respect with the players with that move.

Martin's skillset wasn't obviously good enough for this team anymore.
He threw Martin a bone and traded to his former home where he still has a lot of ties, and his in-laws.
Instead of a pick, he got a low, low potential prospect and cap relief.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
well then one/two of the others will be traded eventually imo. Forwards that is. Seems pretty tough to keep them all without sacrificing others.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Dubas earned respect with the players with that move.

Martin's skillset wasn't obviously good enough for this team anymore.
He threw Martin a bone and traded to his former home where he still has a lot of ties, and his in-laws.
Instead of a pick, he got a low, low potential prospect and cap relief.

This is my read as well. Similar to how Montreal handled the Plekanec situation.

Reactions: BM14

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
well then one/two of the others will be traded eventually imo. Forwards that is. Seems pretty tough to keep them all without sacrificing others.
Tavares signed for less then he could have got, we can keep the others and Dubas said the same thing.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
so hopefully Gord Miller heard that and he'd shut up about trading Will.
i mean goodness, I'm for trading whomever, to get better, but he's basically got Will's bags packed.
Here's hoping. I don't have an issue making a trade if it makes sense. But throwing around moving out Nylander because we can't afford our core isn't something I'm ok with. I can only see Dubas moving a member of the core out if it is to bring back a valuable piece back. You don't move core guys as cap dumps. Or at least you don't if your GM is remotely intelligent and I think we're ok there.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Watch Eamon McAdam become a late blooming sensation because Dubas ran his numbers and skill set through his "Future NHL Player Inefficiency" App :sarcasm:

Just trying to keep things in perspective but the early results are excellent in Dubas NHL GM career. What happens on the ice next season will undoubtedly throw some challenges his way, but he stepped into a pretty good situation which he himself helped orchestrate as well.

His to-do list

Signing the big three
What to do with Gardiner
Manage complimentary players contracts
Player/coach relations

Potential problems
Address Grit/ toughness (not worried myself)
Inflated complimentary player values

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
What I'm curious of is that we have these people here on this forum. Like "The Mr. BriGhtSide" and "catclaws" who think that Dubas has lot to prove and Hunter is way ahead as an executive. Not talking about Lou anymore, because Shanny let him go first.

So we got this Tavares situation and rookie GM. If you think that Dubas has lot to prove. Don't you expect at the same time that Tavares and his agent might think same way? Some said that we lost our chance when promoted Dubas as GM.

Tavares camp spoke with Lou Lamoriello and Doug Wilson. Isn't it kind of telling that they praise Dubas and his presentation and vision. I think hometown factor was big thing, but they have to buy Dubas vision, because this newcomer factor.

In that sense I give lots of credit towards Dubas. The way he handled this situation, which was unique and rare. Chance to get bonafide superstar in free agency. Stamkos experience might have helped, but still he did this as rookie GM.

Can you have it both ways? Dubas has something to prove to you, but he could pick up superstar from UFA market, because other factors. I think he had something to prove and he passed the test like a champ.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
What I'm curious of is that we have these people here on this forum. Like "The Mr. BriGhtSide" and "catclaws" who think that Dubas has lot to prove and Hunter is way ahead as an executive. Not talking about Lou anymore, because Shanny let him go first.

So we got this Tavares situation and rookie GM. If you think that Dubas has lot to prove. Don't you expect at the same time that Tavares and his agent might think same way? Some said that we lost our chance when promoted Dubas as GM.

Tavares camp spoke with Lou Lamoriello and Doug Wilson. Isn't it kind of telling that they praise Dubas and his presentation and vision. I think hometown factor was big thing, but they have to buy Dubas vision, because this newcomer factor.

In that sense I give lots of credit towards Dubas. The way he handled this situation, which was unique and rare. Chance to get bonafide superstar in free agency. Stamkos experience might have helped, but still he did this as rookie GM.

Can you have it both ways? Dubas has something to prove to you, but he could pick up superstar from UFA market, because other factors. I think he had something to prove and he passed the test like a champ.

he passed a test like a champ.
but like let's see how he handles his first crisis
let's see how he handles TDL
let's see how the Big 3 contracts shake down
let's see how he has another few things under his belt.

it's not just Yay, Tavares! everything is great now.and it' not just dubas, if it was fenton here i'd say the same thing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I had the misfortune of coming across a post. JT is apparently going to fall apart by year 4 of his contract. Islanders quite possibly dodged a bullet apparently.
If there is one guy who could be quite effective into his mid 30's it's Tavares. That's the type of horse you bet on with a long deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->